cycling

Posted 18th MayEdited by:"mercslkman"
hi guys i am very new to cycling can you recommend any things i need like puncture repair , the bike is a haibike trekkin electric bike
its already got lights fitted mud guards, got an helmet and a good lock many thanks
for any suggestions
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Puncture repair kits are ok but you'll be waiting for glue to dry and its a faff finding the puncture 1/2 the time. I tend to carry spare tubes now instead (at least 2) as its easier just changing the tube.

If you get the little compressed gas cylinders also get a decent hand pump as backup.

More maintenance based, but wet oil &/ Dry oil for the chain.
Consider the slime tyres. They stop the smaller punctures you are more likely to get.
A decent pair of gloves are also useful. Can’t recommend any as it is totally personal preference on open/closed fingers etc
thankyou
paul100518/05/2020 14:19

Puncture repair kits are ok but you'll be waiting for glue to dry and its …Puncture repair kits are ok but you'll be waiting for glue to dry and its a faff finding the puncture 1/2 the time. I tend to carry spare tubes now instead (at least 2) as its easier just changing the tube.If you get the little compressed gas cylinders also get a decent hand pump as backup.More maintenance based, but wet oil &/ Dry oil for the chain.

And the chain cleaning tool. No doubt you can get an equivalent for a tenner on ebay / aldi etc.

sigmasports.com/ite…80Q

Ensure the saddle is at the correct height and angle. If it is sloped incorrectly even slightly then you will eitehr hurt your behind or put all the weight on your arms..
smashed18/05/2020 14:53

And the chain cleaning tool. No doubt you can get an equivalent for a …And the chain cleaning tool. No doubt you can get an equivalent for a tenner on ebay / aldi etc.https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Park-Tool/CM52-Cyclone-Chain-Scrubber/80Q?Ensure the saddle is at the correct height and angle. If it is sloped incorrectly even slightly then you will eitehr hurt your behind or put all the weight on your arms..

thankyou
we started out with puncture repair kits but now we just buy spare inner tubes as they are so cheap it is not worth spending the time repairing a puncture.

if you have money to spare, then get a camera.
Jim_Bell18/05/2020 14:56

Comment deleted

I'm so hoping that the current upsurge in cycling prompts the government to make bells compulsory.
Also, to the OP, wet weather gear.
unclejim2718/05/2020 15:13

I'm so hoping that the current upsurge in cycling prompts the government …I'm so hoping that the current upsurge in cycling prompts the government to make bells compulsory.Also, to the OP, wet weather gear.

the bike shop is fitting a bell for me
decided so far to buy a spare tube for now going to buy a chain cleaner
will defo get a camera ( never thought about that so thankyou)
also going to buy a cycle pump and will price up a can of compressed air
than you all again it helps me alot
mercslkman18/05/2020 15:15

the bike shop is fitting a bell for me

Just be aware that lots of pedestrians have earphones in (or are just focused on their phone). Either way a bell is often just a false reassurance that they will notice you.
Personally I just politely ask them to allow me through
agree with paul1005 about carrying tubes not mending tube but for myself I've found an investment in schwalbe marathon plus tyres is best,Never had a puncture with those on my bike in 5000 + miles on road,trails and roughish tracks.so far have been able to ride worry free since I changed to them. nothing worse than getting caught in a rainstorm and having a puncture. I ride a voodoo marasa hybrid
When I'm out a cycle I usually carry the following:
- inner tube(s)
- tyre levers
- mini pump
- multi-tool
- quicklinks - you can see some here - chainreactioncycles.com/cha…low - you need to get the right type for your chain but they can be really handy to fix a broken chain
- water bottle(s)
- arm warmers
- waterproof jacket
- cereal bar or similar
smashed18/05/2020 15:38

Just be aware that lots of pedestrians have earphones in (or are just …Just be aware that lots of pedestrians have earphones in (or are just focused on their phone). Either way a bell is often just a false reassurance that they will notice you. Personally I just politely ask them to allow me through

I do the same and find it works better whereas when I used a bell people often complained because it's quite a sharp noise and would give them a fright.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions