Cyclist insurance

Posted 24th Dec 2019
I’ve recently started cycling to and from work. It’s a 2 hour round trip and can get pretty hairy along the way! So many angry drivers in the morning, partly angered by the fact I need to cycle in the middle of the lane to avoid potholes that could easily swallow me whole.

I’m hoping I will manage to avoid a serious accident but I’d like to prepare for the worst and get some insurance. Can anyone recommend cyclist insurance that would cover me rather than just the bike? I could probably add the bike to my home and contents insurance. There doesn’t seem to be many options out there so don’t want to go with the one or two google have suggested.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
I'd get life insurance the way some of you cyclists ride
6 o'clock the other morning, I was doing 30mph on my way home, seen a cyclist on the path and soon as I was almost level with him BOOM out of nowhere, he flew from the pathment to the road... I had to slam my brakes on and when I drove past to give him a headshake, he just didn't have a care in the world! Luckily I've got a dashcam, in case he was trying to put a claim in or some kind of scam.
I'd also get a helmet came to keep yourself covered, I know there are plenty nut case drivers but there are also cyclists who think they have more right to the road
Oh dear sorry but if your journey means you have to go in the middle of the road you need to find an alternative route or not cycle, I ebike to work but I never have to go in the middle, I would feel like a douche doing that
Gumbon24/12/2019 16:49

Oh dear sorry but if your journey means you have to go in the middle of …Oh dear sorry but if your journey means you have to go in the middle of the road you need to find an alternative route or not cycle, I ebike to work but I never have to go in the middle, I would feel like a douche doing that

Why should the op have to do that. A cyclist is entitled to use the road as much as the car or any other vehicle.
I'd start by looking at the British Cycling website and joining as a member.
britishcycling.org.uk/mem…hip

Don't forget some good quality front and rear lights and maybe add some cameras too.
It might also be best to report the pot holes to the FW Members Club AKA Council.
If you ever get hit because you had to pull out to avoid a pot hole, and they haven't bothered to fix it.
You might be able to sue them for not maintaining the road properly.

I'd also recommend, if possible, planning a route out to avoid to worst parts or to avoid right turns etc.
At least until you get used to riding your bike fast (assuming you're new to cycling).
Not here to spark a debate. But some of the roads I cycle are rural and the only option is to cycle out in the middle of the lane to avoid coming off the bike in a pothole.

I’m considering the headcam as there are some horrendous drivers out there. I’m well aware there are terrible cyclists also but all I can do is obey the rules of the road myself and hope my fellow commuters do the same.

The Wiggle insurance seems pretty decent at £24 a year but not sure how comprehensive it is or would be interested if anyone has used them before.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell24/12/2019 17:25

I'd start by looking at the British Cycling website and joining as a …I'd start by looking at the British Cycling website and joining as a member. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membershipDon't forget some good quality front and rear lights and maybe add some cameras too.It might also be best to report the pot holes to the FW Members Club AKA Council.If you ever get hit because you had to pull out to avoid a pot hole, and they haven't bothered to fix it.You might be able to sue them for not maintaining the road properly.I'd also recommend, if possible, planning a route out to avoid to worst parts or to avoid right turns etc.At least until you get used to riding your bike fast (assuming you're new to cycling).

I had British Cycling insurance for years, and it's good value for what it is. But I don't think it's what the OP needs, it's just liability insurance, cycling equivalent to 3rd party in case you need defending when some phone zombie steps out in front of you.
i got free third party liability insurance with the laka club. i don't know how good they are though but the reviews seem ok with them.
MonkeyMan9024/12/2019 17:02

Why should the op have to do that. A cyclist is entitled to use the road …Why should the op have to do that. A cyclist is entitled to use the road as much as the car or any other vehicle.

Depends if there is an alternative route,

I think it's important as a cyclist commuter to research your commute and take the best route for a comination of speed and safety, and a part of safety is not putting you in a position where you are slowing other people down, because when this happens it will put you in danger.

By taking a route putting you in the middle of the road you are likely to get aggressive drivers who will try to intimidate and overtake you, I don't know about you but I just want to get to A to B, I don't particular like riding but it's a logical choice for my commute.

I don't think a cyclist has a right to slow down dozens of cars when they really could be doing a better job of ''sharing'' the lane by staying left when possible or taking an alternative route (only if miniscule impact to time).
Edited by: "Gumbon" 25th Dec 2019
British cycling includes third party liability, stand bronze price £25 but sometimes can be bought cheeper.
Not sure about insurance however I would advise a decent helmet cam and an air vest just in case

airvest.co.uk/pro…st/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions