Dab radio android app

Posted 12th May
Can anyone suggest a Dab android app for car stereo? I have tried using Dab-z but this isn't picking up usb stick. Thanks.
Community Updates
Hi, I have purchased a Vislone android headunit (link below). First problem although it states AM radio there isn't option on pre-installed app. I don't want to return unit so with the lack of offline AM radio apps I purchased a DAB+ usb dongle and installed Dab-z app but not it's not reading device saying no usb device. My suggestions? Thanks.

amazon.co.uk/VIS…PZB
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Have you tried a different usb port, I used a dab stick in an Android head unit a couple of years back and it only worked in one of the usb ports on the back.

Dab-z is about your only option although there is a modded version of Dab-z available on xdadevelopers that is much better then the stock version
Edited by: "Uridium" 13th May
Uridium13/05/2020 03:28

Have you tried a different usb port, I used a dab stick in an Android head …Have you tried a different usb port, I used a dab stick in an Android head unit a couple of years back and it only worked in one of the usb ports on the back.Dab-z is about your only option although there is a modded version of Dab-z available on xdadevelopers that is much better then the stock version

Thanks. Have tried both usb ports.
Do you have a USB DVR attached (Dashcam)?

I assume it's a tickbox in the settings? If so It just means that some post processing will be added to the recordings from the camera to enhance (likely it will be worse) the images.

Your posting a few questions about your Android Headunit...If you post the actual model as well then people may be able to help more.

I've spent many years tweaking and fiddling with Chinese Android headunits, I still have one in one my cars although my main car now has a Pioneer Android Auto unit installed.

My biggest recommendation would be to install the Headunit Reloaded app on your stereo, it costs about £4 but enables you to run your Android unit as Android Auto
Uridium13/05/2020 15:03

Do you have a USB DVR attached (Dashcam)?I assume it's a tickbox in the …Do you have a USB DVR attached (Dashcam)?I assume it's a tickbox in the settings? If so It just means that some post processing will be added to the recordings from the camera to enhance (likely it will be worse) the images.Your posting a few questions about your Android Headunit...If you post the actual model as well then people may be able to help more.I've spent many years tweaking and fiddling with Chinese Android headunits, I still have one in one my cars although my main car now has a Pioneer Android Auto unit installed.My biggest recommendation would be to install the Headunit Reloaded app on your stereo, it costs about £4 but enables you to run your Android unit as Android Auto

Great thanks. Good idea will post unit details Just a bit puzzled why the dab+ usb dongle isn't being picked up by head unit. Usb DVR is selected but both my usb ports are free nothing attached.
Is the USB DAB dongle the correct one recommended by the head unit manufacturer? Xtrons/Pumpkin/Eonin etc...
Uridium13/05/2020 16:08

Is the USB DAB dongle the correct one recommended by the head unit …Is the USB DAB dongle the correct one recommended by the head unit manufacturer? Xtrons/Pumpkin/Eonin etc...

Generic head unit. No information from seller.

amazon.co.uk/VIS…PZB
moneysaver8013/05/2020 16:11

Generic head unit. No information from seller. …Generic head unit. No information from seller. https://www.amazon.co.uk/VISLONE-Universal-Navigation-Multimedia-Entertainment/dp/B07W4WPPZB

Which Dab+ dongle do you have?
moneysaver8013/05/2020 16:18

Generic

You may have a dongle that's not compatible with the DAB+ app....

forum.xda-developers.com/and…608

This is the enhanced version of the DAB app, it supports the same DAB Dongles as the original app and the thread lists the compatible dongles.

Best to stick to the Pumpkin, Joying or Xtrons ones as they are designed to work with the hardware and the app.

In reality there are only a couple of factories in China making these Android headunits and they are just rebranded by other companies.
these are known as MTCB/MTCC or MTCD/MTCE Units. Have a good look on XDA Developers as the is lots of information on there

This may help forum.xda-developers.com/wik…ype
Uridium13/05/2020 16:23

You may have a dongle that's not compatible with the DAB+ …You may have a dongle that's not compatible with the DAB+ app....https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units/dab-app-realzoulous-modded-version-com-t3609608This is the enhanced version of the DAB app, it supports the same DAB Dongles as the original app and the thread lists the compatible dongles.Best to stick to the Pumpkin, Joying or Xtrons ones as they are designed to work with the hardware and the app. In reality there are only a couple of factories in China making these Android headunits and they are just rebranded by other companies.these are known as MTCB/MTCC or MTCD/MTCE Units. Have a good look on XDA Developers as the is lots of information on thereThis may help https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

Thanks. Any recommendations for a cheap device?
moneysaver8013/05/2020 16:43

Thanks. Any recommendations for a cheap device?

Amazon or ebay for any that say they are compatible with Xtrons/Pumpkin

These Dab tuners aren't great though and are VERY reliant on your having an A1 signal from your DAB aerial (external if possible) and will never be as good as the factory DAB units in new cars

Personally I use Internet Radio streams now, using my phone as an access point (or use a 4G dongle in the stereo) . you won't use much data, maybe a couple of GB per month streaming Net radio
I use this app

play.google.com/sto…_GB

The below app will auto enable a phone hotspot when it bluetooth auto connects to your car stereo

play.google.com/sto…_GB .

as I mentioned earlier though Headunit reloaded is a great option to look at as well.
Still working with the dab+ dongle. It seems there are MP3 files on the dongle so may be the type which you play back on your music player as opposed on dab-z app. Reception is a problem so still struggling to use it whilst intermittent reception spots I am getting some playback albeit from other channels as opposed to the one showing on screen.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions