Groups

Dad's turning 60 - please help find pressie!!

Hi guys,

My dad turns 60 in 3 weeks time. I need something special but within a budget (£50 ish)

I've only got him a bottle of Champagne so far & organised a cake. I considered national trust membership but he lives in Thailand for part of the year & wouldn't get the full use out it. He is able to buy watches etc much cheaper in Thailand so things like that are ruled out.

He likes cycling & works outdoors & also enjoys camping. Any ideas would be really appreciated!!

Thanks!!:thumbsup:

23 Comments

Solar panel battery charger?

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'm just looking at your suggestions - nice ideas!

A copy of a newspaper from the day he was born? There are a number of companys who offer a similar service, but this is the page for one of them...]http//ww…htm

Original Poster

Hi Stora,

I think I love the leatherman! Have you seen these tools in real life? Do they look expensive or might he think it cost fiver off the market? Are they good quality (ie: do they work like they're meant too?).

I've seen a leathermen, they;re the crem de la crem of multi tools

stratomaster

I've seen a leathermen, they;re the crem de la crem of multi tools

The are quality tools. He will not be disappointed.

Original Poster

Thanks guys!

I've seen a leatherman surge for £62 delivered, but they don't do engraving.

All companies that offer engraving are charging £82 (ish). Which is the best deal? Do you think I can get the £62 surge engraved myself for less then £82?

Banned

Leatherman tools are a good bit of kit

Top idea, unless u travel these days

Why not get him compact travelling kit, and a family photo!

Simple things please some of us

Do you have lots of digital piccies?? If you do, there's a wee program called ]"andrea mosaic" which you can download for free.

Have you seen those movie posters, for example, where a big pic of yoda is made from lots of small pics from the movie? It does that...

I just made one for an anniversary, got it printed with photobox, size 20" x 30"... and it is brilliant.

Planning to do one for my mum on the next special occasion. It's a bit of effort, but well worth it.

Just think - you could make him a collage of all the family members pics Kind of like this:

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/tutorial/MosaicsWithFewTiles_files/kiwi_500.jpg

http://static.filefront.com/images/personal/v/viakit/94592/hopauuyzsb.jpg

Wow Emma, that is so cool.:thumbsup:

Thanks Emma, that's very smart.

I'm going to do a couple of the boys and get them printed.

Yeah, it took me ages to get my one right, with quite a few crashes of the program as the image was quite big...

Original Poster

Thanks Emma, that looks fab! I'm going to get on & do one of those.

Mikzos

Thanks Emma, that looks fab! I'm going to get on & do one of those.

Coolio, let me know how you get on! it's definitely a unique pressie!

We got my dad a flying lesson for his 60th - he was very overwhelmed and still talks about it now 3 years on. We did it as a total surprise and he came to see us on the actual day and we told him just before we left what we'd done. Cost £65 from memory which I know is slightly over budget. They also get a little certificate.

Original Poster

Hi Emma,

Well it took me nearly all day to get it right but I've done it & it looks great!!

Many thanks!

How about a 'trial' flight lesson?

Might be a few quid more but for about 45 mins of his life he will be shown how to prepare his aircraft for the flight, pre flight check, take-off assistance, free flying once in the air and assisted landing. They usually get about 25-30 minutes in the air in something like a Cessna aircraft.

Kinda fun instead of being a passenger all the time and he should get a certificate at the end of it, contact your local (small) airfield or flying club :thumbsup:

Crazy1

How about a 'trial' flight lesson?Might be a few quid more but for about … How about a 'trial' flight lesson?Might be a few quid more but for about 45 mins of his life he will be shown how to prepare his aircraft for the flight, pre flight check, take-off assistance, free flying once in the air and assisted landing. They usually get about 25-30 minutes in the air in something like a Cessna aircraft. Kinda fun instead of being a passenger all the time and he should get a certificate at the end of it, contact your local (small) airfield or flying club :thumbsup:

Yes but can you get a stone out of a horses hoof with it ;-)

stora

Yes but can you get a stone out of a horses hoof with it ;-)

You lost me there :thinking:

Crazy1

You lost me there :thinking:

#
    sorry I was trying to be sarcastic about my penknife/tool post

http://www.swissknifeshop.co.uk/images/equestrian.gif

stora

#sorry I was trying to be sarcastic about my penknife/tool post

But would he be allowed to carry it on the plane back to Thailand, and could he trust the baggage handlers to leave it in his hold baggage :w00t: ([SIZE=1]wait for the barrage of abuse now, 'we don't do that') :giggle: [/SIZE]

Original Poster

Hi folks,

Well, my brother has already got him a flying lesson (1 hours lesson) so I need to choose something else, although it would have been a good idea if he hadn't had it before me!!! My brother also thought my dad would look ridiculous turning up on a job with no tools, other then the leatherman in his pocket, so I'm now wondering if he has a point. Customs saga is also a possible problem.

On the bright side, I've made him a cool card using the mosaiic idea of Emmas.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1427
      2. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.79
      3. Free- Gluten Free Rice Porridge (M&S)819
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213633

See more discussions