Groups

Daft? question about this volcano

Just watching sky news, they have pictures from near and above the volcano, how?
    Can helicopters fly closely to the volcano? I know flights to North sea oil via chopper have been cancelled so how can one fly on top of the volcano?

29 Comments

Perhaps they are tagging along with scientific research visits which may get special dispensation to fly.

Banned

They are on the clean side of the volcano, the wind is blowing the ash east.

Banned

its probably DK in his private chopper

Original Poster

sassie;8399536

its probably DK in his private chopper

I knew he'd get a mention

Original Poster

lumoruk;8399531

They are on the clean side of the volcano, the wind is blowing the ash … They are on the clean side of the volcano, the wind is blowing the ash east.

That makes sense I suppose

lumoruk;8399531

They are on the clean side of the volcano, the wind is blowing the ash … They are on the clean side of the volcano, the wind is blowing the ash east.

lol, you'd think people had been to a bonfire before

I believe also(not certain tho) that helicopters and propellored planes are not as high risk as the ash being sucked into jet engines.

Not all helicopters use jet engines and they dont fly at 500mph.

Your right about the North sea, uncles stuck on the rigs!

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;8399911

I know, thats why I asked the question. Search and Rescue are flying mind, just seen a sea king before

Paddy_o_furniture;8399939

I know, thats why I asked the question. Search and Rescue are flying … I know, thats why I asked the question. Search and Rescue are flying mind, just seen a sea king before

You got someone stuck too? Which rig they on?

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;8399952

You got someone stuck too? Which rig they on?

Nah, just overheard one of mates talking to someone in the pub at weekend.

Paddy_o_furniture;8399985

Nah, just overheard one of mates talking to someone in the pub at weekend.

Mines been stuck since Thursday, suppose to be meeting all the family on a holiday lol, well that didn't happen!!

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;8400000

Mines been stuck since Thursday, suppose to be meeting all the family on … Mines been stuck since Thursday, suppose to be meeting all the family on a holiday lol, well that didn't happen!!

Gutting, mad ain't it. Europe comes to a standstill in the air (almost). Whats happening for R&R and repat flights?

Paddy_o_furniture;8400018

Gutting, mad ain't it. Europe comes to a standstill in the air (almost). … Gutting, mad ain't it. Europe comes to a standstill in the air (almost). Whats happening for R&R and repat flights?

Not going ahead.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;8400026

Not going ahead.

Bit naff like, you'd be gutted.

Lulu'sMammy;8399911

any idea when this restriction came in llm? my oldest son is an engineer doing tech support for atkins in aberdeen-he only goes to the rigs to gather data once a month but he was due to fly out first thing this morning-would hate to think he got there and is stuck!

Original Poster

barky;8400045

any idea when this restriction came in llm? my oldest son is an engineer … any idea when this restriction came in llm? my oldest son is an engineer doing tech support for atkins in aberdeen-he only goes to the rigs to gather data once a month but he was due to fly out first thing this morning-would hate to think he got there and is stuck!

Thursday I heard.
    uk.reuters.com/art…419

apparently 3 nato f16 fighters just suffered engine damage flying through the ash. yet the commercial airlines want to fly?

Paddy_o_furniture;8400056

Thursday I heard.

cool-mrs barky would be frantic if he got stuck!

barky;8400045

any idea when this restriction came in llm? my oldest son is an engineer … any idea when this restriction came in llm? my oldest son is an engineer doing tech support for atkins in aberdeen-he only goes to the rigs to gather data once a month but he was due to fly out first thing this morning-would hate to think he got there and is stuck!

He's hoping tomorrow, but it ain't looking likely.

Original Poster

barky;8400061

apparently 3 nato f16 fighters just suffered engine damage flying through … apparently 3 nato f16 fighters just suffered engine damage flying through the ash. yet the commercial airlines want to fly?

It's all about the money. I know I wouldn't fly

My brothers meant to be off to Florida Friday

Paddy_o_furniture;8400044

Bit naff like, you'd be gutted.

The lads who didn't get back in time for parade in Germany, are being treated as AWOL.

People due R&R, are not being giving allowance. Your flight leaves a week late, you come home only for the week left.

Repats are going ahead as and when they can.

And post tour, are being delayed until they can get them out.

Sod peoples holidays, they can be rebooked or refunded.

barky;8400069

cool-mrs barky would be frantic if he got stuck!

Pack him some extra sandwiches and a flask just in case :-D

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;8400098

The lads who didn't get back in time for parade in Germany, are being … The lads who didn't get back in time for parade in Germany, are being treated as AWOL.People due R&R, are not being giving allowance. Your flight leaves a week late, you come home only for the week left. Repats are going ahead as and when they can.And post tour, are being delayed.Sod peoples holidays, they can be rebooked or refunded.

AWOL, thats mental, times like this I don't miss being a reg, So you could end up with no r&r at all?

Paddy_o_furniture;8400116

AWOL, thats mental, times like this I don't miss being a reg, So you … AWOL, thats mental, times like this I don't miss being a reg, So you could end up with no r&r at all?

Thats how it's sounding. Apparantly the slots are booked so all areas are manned, well if each lads leave is extended its not going to work out that way.

Lulu'sMammy;8400098

The lads who didn't get back in time for parade in Germany, are being … The lads who didn't get back in time for parade in Germany, are being treated as AWOL.People due R&R, are not being giving allowance. Your flight leaves a week late, you come home only for the week left. Repats are going ahead as and when they can.And post tour, are being delayed until they can get them out.Sod peoples holidays, they can be rebooked or refunded.

disgraceful! imho r+r should begin from the moment they get HOME! I am seeing jim murphy,who is my MP this evening(secretary of state for scotland too),on another matter and I am gonna tell him how mad I am about this.

Will see what happens, at the mo i got a whole load of angry families on the blower...which is why i ain't at work today!!!

Banned

barky;8400174

disgraceful! imho r+r should begin from the moment they get HOME! I am … disgraceful! imho r+r should begin from the moment they get HOME! I am seeing jim murphy,who is my MP this evening(secretary of state for scotland too),on another matter and I am gonna tell him how mad I am about this.

Yeah it dosen't though, Snow caused people to miss r+r too. I never take r+r as a given, until the plane has landed without breaking down at Brize and he is on MT.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764489
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …57105
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1634
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)1821

See more discussions