Dahl,, Dal, Dhal.

Found 15th Oct 2010
Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for the above that can be adapted to suit Tarka,Channa and Moong Dahl.
Looked online and they all seem to differ slightly plus after cooking several at home a lot of recipes appear to end up a little too thick.
Tia.

1. Misc
  2. Spicy
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Spicy
11 Comments

Original Poster

Thanks DLM - tried a few off the internet and they just don't taste 'authentic' - might be my cooking though !

Banned

If you want it to be authentic....then serve it up on banana leaves.

Seriously though....I've eaten it in india a few times and it is pretty bland at best.

To be fair if you could cook authentic Indian meals at home there wouldn't be any takewaway would there.

Whatever they do or add it's almost impossible for the mere mortals that we are to replicate it.
Edited by: "greg_68" 15th Oct 2010

I make moongh daal like this:

put moogh daal in water from morning to evening time. Then get bit oil, add moongh daal, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, pinch of turmeric, zeera powder, bit of crushed garlic and ginger. I normally add green chilli as well (up to you if you want to add). let that cook for a bit, make sure it doesnt stick to the pot, then add pulp tomato that has been liquidised, cook a little, add water and cook till done. i dont make it too saucy, just enough. I normally have that with chapatti.

i use the same for chana daal.
Edited by: "Kulsum" 15th Oct 2010

Original Poster

Kulsum

I make moongh daal like this:put moogh daal in water from morning to … I make moongh daal like this:put moogh daal in water from morning to evening time. Then get bit oil, add moongh daal, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, pinch of turmeric, zeera powder, bit of crushed garlic and ginger. I normally add green chilli as well (up to you if you want to add). let that cook for a bit, make sure it doesnt stick to the pot, then add pulp tomato that has been liquidised, cook a little, add water and cook till done. i dont make it too saucy, just enough. I normally have that with chapatti. i use the same for chana daal.

Cheers, I'll try this.Just one thing, do I add equal amounts of jeera + corriander? and are the amounts of ginger + garlic equal ?
Edited by: "fungimala" 15th Oct 2010

Kulsum

I make moongh daal like this:put moogh daal in water from morning to … I make moongh daal like this:put moogh daal in water from morning to evening time. Then get bit oil, add moongh daal, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, pinch of turmeric, zeera powder, bit of crushed garlic and ginger. I normally add green chilli as well (up to you if you want to add). let that cook for a bit, make sure it doesnt stick to the pot, then add pulp tomato that has been liquidised, cook a little, add water and cook till done. i dont make it too saucy, just enough. I normally have that with chapatti. i use the same for chana daal.

+1

fungimala

Cheers, I'll try this.Just one thing, do I add equal amounts of jeera + … Cheers, I'll try this.Just one thing, do I add equal amounts of jeera + corriander? and are the amounts of ginger + garlic equal ?

yes to both, hope you like it

Kulsum

thats exactly my recipie too kulsum and its the best out there

sugarshaksk11

thats exactly my recipie too kulsum and its the best out there

lol, my mums recipe
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Building PC/desktop help or alienware aurora i757
    2. Double/duplicate notifications on iOS app22
    3. S7 (regular) full coverage tempered glass protector22
    4. What car to purchase?11