Damage in wall

Posted 3rd Jun
Hi All - we bought a house which was semi run down and damaged wall. The wall is made of bricks and have plaster board above it.

The walls plaster had been broken in a line let’s say 60 cms as if some cupboard was there inserted in the wall and taken away from it.

I got an All purpose filler from the market filled it up (pic added of the filler that I used)
[image missing]

did sand and have done one coat of paint. This is how it looks like now. It’s not very neat. What should I do? I have never before fixed a wall!

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Have added images in the below reply as for some reason they are not showing up here
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
What happened to the pics
Scotland131403/06/2020 13:08

Seems something is off - tried multiple times but not able to add. Deleting the post and re posting
Scotland131403/06/2020 13:08

Thanks a ton for looking at it and hopefully you are able to help on the new post that I will create
Finally found a way to add pics using reply to your post!
Looks like the filler has shrunk whilst drying. Use the filler again and go over and around
the original crack line and even make the filler stand proud over the bit you’ve already done. Then once dried sand again on a bigger sweep using the sandpaper wrapped around a block of say wood to ensure the paper evenly sands the wall and then paint again.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 3rd Jun
If that’s a joint between plasterboard and brick plastered wall it will keep cracking you would need to get jointing tape and plaster over
Don’t use that £1 filler get proper poly filler . That pound stuff isn’t any good I’ve used it
Fill it, sand it then paint it, then fill it again re sand it then paint over again
Sand, fill, sand, fine fill, sand, fine fill, sand, paint. Never fails.
That filler sucks for anything apart from tiny nail holes.
You should buy a powdered filler that you can mix up to your own thickness.
It looks like the wall is uneven and the bottom part is sticking out more than the top.
A common thing rubbish plasters leave instead of sweeping their plaster away to hide the unlevel.
I see it all the time when a fireplace has been removed, bricked up and plastered instead of plastering the full wall.

You want to do this like in this video. 1 minute onwards.

You're not doing the entire wall though and instead of going up/down you want to go left/right.
1 or two sweeps of filler with a trowel moreso from the bottom of the damaged area up should hide it.
You're wanting to fill around the amount I've marked in the picture to hide the unevenness.
Don't leave thick edges.
Sand then paint.
40963872.jpg
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 3rd Jun
Cloeeez03/06/2020 17:15

That filler sucks for anything apart from tiny nail holes. You should buy …That filler sucks for anything apart from tiny nail holes. You should buy a powdered filler that you can mix up to your own thickness.It looks like the wall is uneven and the bottom part is sticking out more than the top.A common thing rubbish plasters leave instead of sweeping their plaster away to hide the unlevel. I see it all the time when a fireplace has been removed, bricked up and plastered instead of plastering the full wall. You want to do this like in this video. 1 minute onwards. [Video] You're not doing the entire wall though and instead of going up/down you want to go left/right.1 or two sweeps of filler with a trowel moreso from the bottom of the damaged area up should hide it.You're wanting to fill around the amount I've marked in the picture to hide the unevenness. Don't leave thick edges.Sand then paint.[Image]

That is so awesome! Thanks a ton. Much appreciated
If the whole wall is uneven, get a plaster to skim it for you. It will save you a lot of grief when it comes to decorating, particularly wallpapering.
I would personally recommend cutting a square section out, replace with a square section of a new plaster board. Buy some plaster and skim over. Would be the best finish you can get and barely cost £30. Look up skimming tutorials online, make sure to use plaster tape between the gaps before applying the skim.
Post a comment
@
    Text