Damaged HDMI port on TV

Found 21st Nov 2017
I was given a fairly old Samsung TV and bought a firestick to use with it. I've had no issues until recently, when I realised the HDMI port where the firestick goes is damaged - I think my 3 year old has something to do with it!

My question is whether I can get some sort of SCART to HDMI adapter so that I can connect the firestick to the TV this way. As the TV is an old model it doesn't seem to have a USB port that I can see. I can't afford another TV so I somehow need to get the firestick connected to the TV...but how?

I've spent ages looking at what I think are adapters on amazon but I have no idea which if any I'd need. can anyone help?

Thank you!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

What is the exact model # of the TV please?

Have a look on Gumtree, you might be able to pickup an old TV/monitor with HDMI for ~ £40.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 21st Nov 2017

Original Poster

SUMMONER21st Nov

What is the exact model # of the TV please?Have a look on Gumtree, you …What is the exact model # of the TV please?Have a look on Gumtree, you might be able to pickup an old TV/monitor with HDMI for ~ £40.

Thank you Summoner.

The model is
LE 32R74BD C [R]

Model code
LE 32R74BDX / XEU

Type No.
BD3 2EO

Thank you v much for any help you can offer - massively appreciated

First of all I would still suggest looking for another TV on Gumtree/Freecycle/Shpock, as getting this sort of thing to work is a bit of a crap shoot and the resulting picture quality may be well naff.

According to various product reviews your TV has:
- 1 x HDMI in
- 2 x SCART in
- 1 x VGA in (called PC on the back of the TV)
- 1 x 3.5mm audio in (called AUDIO/PC IN onthe back of the TV)

- 1 set of component video/audio in
- 1 x S-Video in
- 1 x composite video in
- 1 x optical audio out

Personally I would focus on the VGA (PC) input, as that should result in a decent quality picture on your 1366 x 768 pixel TV.

32517471-oj5bc.jpg

Things to buy:
1 x ChampSun HDMI to VGA active converter £10.94
1 x VGA cable £0.99
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Nov 2017

SUMMONER4 h, 28 m ago

First of all I would still suggest looking for another TV on …First of all I would still suggest looking for another TV on Gumtree/Freecycle/Shpock, as getting this sort of thing to work is a bit of a crap shoot and the resulting picture quality may be well naff.According to various product reviews your TV has:- 1 x HDMI in- 2 x SCART in- 1 x VGA in (called PC on the back of the TV)- 1 x 3.5mm audio in (called AUDIO/PC IN onthe back of the TV)- 1 set of component video/audio in- 1 x S-Video in- 1 x composite video in- 1 x optical audio outPersonally I would focus on the VGA (PC) input, as that should result in a decent quality picture on your 1366 x 768 pixel TV.[Image] Things to buy:1 x ChampSun HDMI to VGA active converter £10.941 x VGA cable £0.99

Does a firestick have audio out (non hdmi)?

chocci3 h, 47 m ago

Does a firestick have audio out (non hdmi)?

Don't think so. However the ChampSun converter apparently extracts the audio and offers it via the 3.5mm socket on its side.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Nov 2017

Original Poster

SUMMONER21 h, 39 m ago

First of all I would still suggest looking for another TV on …First of all I would still suggest looking for another TV on Gumtree/Freecycle/Shpock, as getting this sort of thing to work is a bit of a crap shoot and the resulting picture quality may be well naff.According to various product reviews your TV has:- 1 x HDMI in- 2 x SCART in- 1 x VGA in (called PC on the back of the TV)- 1 x 3.5mm audio in (called AUDIO/PC IN onthe back of the TV)- 1 set of component video/audio in- 1 x S-Video in- 1 x composite video in- 1 x optical audio outPersonally I would focus on the VGA (PC) input, as that should result in a decent quality picture on your 1366 x 768 pixel TV.[Image] Things to buy:1 x ChampSun HDMI to VGA active converter £10.941 x VGA cable £0.99

SUMMONER this is just brilliant! Thank you At just under 12 quid, it's worth a shot, though I'll keep an eye out for a new telly...I've got bills bills bills to pay this month sadly, otherwise I'd likely have opted for this, over the convertor. I'll let you know if it works!

I will keep my fingers crossed.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 24th Nov 2017

So... did the contraption work or did you find a different solution ?¿
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Well...believe it or not I was meddling with the fire stick and suddenly got it working...prime screen flashed onto the TV screen. I've delayed any more spending for now including the convertor until my finances improve tho with my 3 year old pestering to watch paw patrol...I may give in and try the convertor if (and I'm sure it will!) the connection on the hdmi/firestick conks again...watch this space...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants