Found 9th Dec 2016
Repaired some cracks in the plaster in a bedroom with polyfilla sanded down ,,Covered with a couple of coats of emulsion .Still very noticeable ..Help to repair and improve finish

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
36 Comments

Is it that you can still see the plaster, or that you can still see the cracks? If it's that you can see the plaster, try doing a few more coats, leaving plenty of time (several hours) between coats to give it time to dry.

Fine cracks can be really difficult to hide. Trick is to rake the crack out, make it slightly wider then fill it with a fine
filler, use a sanding block not your hand to sand it right back, don't leave filler slightly proud.

Alternatively use decorators calk as it's quite easy to squeeze into the fine gap using a pallet knife. Usually shrinks a bit on drying tho.

get some better thicker emulsion

One of the best ways to give a better finish to walls with a poor surface is lining paper . I buy mine from Wickes , the quad roll's . I'm a decorator and go through loads of rolls on both ceilings and walls . For a better job ,you cross line the rolls .Dont go from top to bottom ...............it's from left to right [ or right to left for that matter] and butt join . Glue size the walls prior to starting leaving the size overnight to dry .Once dry acouple of coats of emulsion and you'll see the difference.

just an update after reading the above comments : If there cracks in the walls ,cut them out first , the filler wont stick very good to a dry surface , so use one of those cheap water sprays to wet the crack and then use a filler .Another good trick is to mix left over emulsion to the powdered filler instead of water . It bonds better but still sands smooth.
Edited by: "ricko" 9th Dec 2016

Get some gyproc easi-fill, don't worry if you fill too proud as this stuff sands down really easily. Use some fine grit sandpaper and pay attention to the edges of where you are filling.

CookinBat

Fine cracks can be really difficult to hide. Trick is to rake the crack … Fine cracks can be really difficult to hide. Trick is to rake the crack out, make it slightly wider then fill it with a finefiller, use a sanding block not your hand to sand it right back, don't leave filler slightly proud.Alternatively use decorators calk as it's quite easy to squeeze into the fine gap using a pallet knife. Usually shrinks a bit on drying tho.

I will try this as I have the same problem as ziggy

summerof76

I will try this as I have the same problem as ziggy

I've heard about your fine crack. X)

CookinBat

I've heard about your fine crack. :|X)

Word spreads around X)

Mark2111

Artexhttps://youtube.com/watch?v=-SXfDWRlbzc

Artex was more fun to apply than to look at, wasn't it?

summerof76

Word spreads around X)

Somethings spread easily

Preparation, preparation, preparation
Remove existing bodge job and remove any loose material. Using course sanding block/paper key down the surrounding paintwork/edges of area to be filled.
With a good mixture refill to below the level and allow to dry completely then when dry score with sharp knife and use thinner mixture to go slightly over level and use a wet sponge to bring the level down to near flat and leave to dry then with fine sandblock/paper smooth to level finish. The filler must be left to dry completely to ensure minimal shrinkage.
Then repaint
Edited by: "philphil61" 10th Dec 2016

philphil61

Somethings spread easily

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9hx6te3N41qbxww9.gif

ziggy64

Repaired some cracks in the plaster in a bedroom with polyfilla … Repaired some cracks in the plaster in a bedroom with polyfilla sanded down ,,Covered with a couple of coats of emulsion .Still very noticeable ..Help to repair and improve finish [/qu[quote=beergut1969]Get some gyproc easi-fill, don't worry if you fill too proud as this stuff sands down really easily. Use some fine grit sandpaper and pay attention to the edges of where you are filling.

Speaking from experience... this is the best advice on here.
Very easy to sand & ideal for cracks.
Polyfilla or other premade fillers are very poor to use.
Wickes do the Easifill btw.

The no diy solutions
1. Put a picture up over the area
2. Put a wardrobe in front of it
3. Get a man in to do it for you
4. Move house .

As a sucker for a project I would ignore my own advice and get stuck in

philphil61

Somethings spread easily

Like margarine X)

psychobitchfromhell

The no diy solutions1. Put a picture up over the area2. Put a wardrobe in … The no diy solutions1. Put a picture up over the area2. Put a wardrobe in front of it 3. Get a man in to do it for you4. Move house . As a sucker for a project I would ignore my own advice and get stuck in

My crack is on the ceiling so cover it with a mirror

summerof76

My crack is on the ceiling so cover it with a mirror

You are either resourceful or dangerously mad . Either of which seems fine by me . The world needs a little diversity

psychobitchfromhell

You are either resourceful or dangerously mad . Either of which seems … You are either resourceful or dangerously mad . Either of which seems fine by me . The world needs a little diversity

My water tank was leaking and made a small mess of the ceiling Need to fix it up and thought this page could help, but it got a bit out of hand X)

summerof76

My water tank was leaking and made a small mess of the ceiling Need to … My water tank was leaking and made a small mess of the ceiling Need to fix it up and thought this page could help, but it got a bit out of hand X)

A reasonable explanation but I much prefer the idea of you being mad bad and dangerous to know

psychobitchfromhell

A reasonable explanation but I much prefer the idea of you being mad bad … A reasonable explanation but I much prefer the idea of you being mad bad and dangerous to know

Just ask anyone on misc and they will let you know what i'm like X)

summerof76

Just ask anyone on misc and they will let you know what i'm like X)

I love misc . My spiritual home

psychobitchfromhell

I love misc . My spiritual home

It is my home and everyone is welcome to chat

summerof76

It is my home and everyone is welcome to chat

I'm stuck here hundreds of miles from family with an autistic kid who is lovely but lacks any empathy . My husband and soulmate died suddenly two years ago and left me with no one who gets the jokes anymore . Nice to find people on your wavelength

psychobitchfromhell

I'm stuck here hundreds of miles from family with an autistic kid who is … I'm stuck here hundreds of miles from family with an autistic kid who is lovely but lacks any empathy . My husband and soulmate died suddenly two years ago and left me with no one who gets the jokes anymore . Nice to find people on your wavelength

I get most of your humour

Sadly, as you've probably guessed (because you sound intelligent enough) people are afraid to say the wrong thing

And like me, being the old gentleman I am would hate to know I upset you accidently

ps Just to add - did my Sir Galahad at my local Tesco's earlier - a woman of similar age asked if I could reach the milk at the back of the shelf. I tried then I looked at her again and I'm sure she was taller than me but still I used my noggin looked around and saw one of those steps on wheels so I grabbed it and did the duty (got the milk) and she turned and said "I could of done that"

Just no pleasing some
Edited by: "philphil61" 10th Dec 2016

I'd talk with the Plaster Casters as those chicks are pretty handy in that department:
en.wikipedia.org/wik…ter

psychobitchfromhell

I'm stuck here hundreds of miles from family with an autistic kid who is … I'm stuck here hundreds of miles from family with an autistic kid who is lovely but lacks any empathy . My husband and soulmate died suddenly two years ago and left me with no one who gets the jokes anymore . Nice to find people on your wavelength

Life is tough at times and I hope being on misc helps you unwind after a long day There is always someone on misc to chat with and a lot of good people too

philphil61

I get most of your humourSadly, as you've probably guessed (because you … I get most of your humourSadly, as you've probably guessed (because you sound intelligent enough) people are afraid to say the wrong thingAnd like me, being the old gentleman I am would hate to know I upset you accidentlyps Just to add - did my Sir Galahad at my local Tesco's earlier - a woman of similar age asked if I could reach the milk at the back of the shelf. I tried then I looked at her again and I'm sure she was taller than me but still I used my noggin looked around and saw one of those steps on wheels so I grabbed it and did the duty (got the milk) and she turned and said "I could of done that"Just no pleasing some

Ungrateful bint . Hope her milk curdles .

philphil61

I get most of your humourSadly, as you've probably guessed (because you … I get most of your humourSadly, as you've probably guessed (because you sound intelligent enough) people are afraid to say the wrong thingAnd like me, being the old gentleman I am would hate to know I upset you accidentlyps Just to add - did my Sir Galahad at my local Tesco's earlier - a woman of similar age asked if I could reach the milk at the back of the shelf. I tried then I looked at her again and I'm sure she was taller than me but still I used my noggin looked around and saw one of those steps on wheels so I grabbed it and did the duty (got the milk) and she turned and said "I could of done that"Just no pleasing some

you should have put the milk back and flipped the step thing

Use undercoat first then emulsion

philphil61

Somethings spread easily

Like your legs

OP, I've had this recently and after several diy fixes it turned out that the underlying problem was that the plaster had 'blown', i.e., come away from the brickwork. The plasterer demonstrated by knocking various parts of the wall and the sound definitely changed around that section. Also, when pressed, there was some movement. To solve the problem, the plasterer removed that section of the wall and bonded out the base again before skimming. It took 2 x half days but it is perfect now it's painted. It was in a prominent part of the wall and I wanted a thorough fix, as opposed to a temp one. Hope this helps.

I would get the plasterer back out to fix it, i had the same issue in my hallway, although it was a whole wall going up the stairs from the front door and looked appalling, however that took months for the plasterer to come back and fix because he forgot.. anyway, he did what they said about, cut it out and then reskimmed the whole wall. Another, much better plasterer did our front room and 1 tiny bit had blown by the tv, he came and fixed that the next day. Worth getting the plasterer back in as most of them are willing to fix it free of charge

summerof76

Word spreads around X)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll302/BALONEY_BOLOGNA2008/shocked.gif

Filler paint

Ha the bodge of lining paper and painting on top. Nice it is not. Walls should be painted or papered, not both unless it's a blown vinyl which is old hat these days. Poly filler is not so good. There are a few good tips above. Gyproc gap filler is good far better than polyfiller. Sanding blocks are good. I had two small areas where for some reason the paint kept cracking above a door. don't know why and put PVA on it and it still crackled but I ended up chipping the filler away. The wall as dry lined. I sealed the plasterboard with an oil based undercoat. I used gyproc gap filler and emulsions over. no problems since. Emulsion paint doesn't stick to an oil based undercoat unless you seal it first.

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 10th Dec 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheap Xbox games45
    2. What's this on my neighbours roof?1213
    3. Anyone know the best place to buy WWE 2K18 on PS4 cheap as poss11
    4. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.34

See more discussions