Groups

Damaged Screw Head

So I was cleaning the inside of my PS2 slim console, and when trying to get the fan out, my screwdriver tip broke off very slightly and is now stuck in the screw head, so I can't remove it!

Any tips on how to remove the screw now please? Thanks.

24 Comments

A thin hss drill bit in reverse.

A magnet or tweezers?

To remove the broken bit, then another attempt?

Dig around in the house for a compass, the type you use for drawing circles. Use the point to try and dislodge the broken bit.

A big blob of blue tac.. press it on it so it sticks and then peel it off. .. or an old tooth brush

If its a cross head screw, could you use a flat head to grip at two of the other points? Or a pin end to try and prise the broken bit out?

Original Poster

Thanks. I'll try some of the suggestions. Just didn't want to damage the screw even more, or end up damaging the fan.

dont use cheap tools..... eg from £ shop. make sure the screwdriver is long enough to get leverage.

half a glass of coca cola ... leave over night ... et voila ...

Original Poster

Sorted. Blutac and a flat head! Thanks.

One more thing, i need to 'lube' up a metal spring which holds and moves the laser up and down. I have a cheap can of a version of wd40. If i use the tiniest amount to just rub over the metal spring, is that ok or is it flammable and likely to be a hazard?

Wd40 isn't a lubricant. It's only designed to be a release agent. Is there any white residue on the spring. They might have used Teflon grease.

Original Poster

I went ahead and made my finger lightly oily with the wd40, wiped it so it wasn't 'wet' and then lightly ran my finger over the metal spring. I then took a cotton bud and ran that lightly over the spring too so i should think there's literally just a trace of oil, enough to make it slightly lubricated.

Obviously i wouldn't spray it with the stuff, but it was more to lightly just coat it. Should this be ok?

Original Poster

It's not actually wd40, just a can of 3 in 1 oil

Original Poster

This says it lubricates

http://i68.tinypic.com/2f03tcz.jpg

nipstyler

Wd40 isn't a lubricant. It's only designed to be a release agent. Is … Wd40 isn't a lubricant. It's only designed to be a release agent. Is there any white residue on the spring. They might have used Teflon grease.

WD40 isn't even a release agent, it is a water displacer - hence the name. It leaves a residue which will attract dust/dirt. It is one of the most inappropriately overused sprays known to man

A spring shouldn't need any lubricant or grease. Make sure its clean and dry, if you really feel that it needs some sort of friction reduction (if for example it is in a tube or sleeve of some sort) then graphite is probably your best bet. rub it with a 3B or 4B or higher pencil.
    Edited by: "mas99" 18th Mar

Original Poster

As above, i did use a tiny bit. More like rubbing greasy fingers over it then wiping over it. I say spring but i mean the rod that the laser goes up and down. Is it still safe to use?

Screw head removal. Various sizes and types. Guess you need a small kit.. maplins Rolson 6 Part Damaged Screw and Bolt Remover. Or screwfix.com/p/s…wcB
    Edited by: "wayners" 18th Mar

Original Poster

I've fixed it now. It's more the oil question I'm stuck with.

superfreddy

I've fixed it now. It's more the oil question I'm stuck with.

You don't use oil, just silicon grease or copper grease. You want something that won't melt but also won't dry out.

archer1204

have you seen the rubber band trick … have you seen the rubber band trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqIDjb1cmro

That's brilliant archer Iv been in the building trade for years and could of done with knowing this countless times. Every day's a school day

Original Poster

kester76

You don't use oil, just silicon grease or copper grease. You want … You don't use oil, just silicon grease or copper grease. You want something that won't melt but also won't dry out.

I hardly used any, but I need to know it should be safe right?

Probably, only issue with oil is that it runs eventually.

Original Poster

kester76

Probably, only issue with oil is that it runs eventually.

It's multi purpose oil and I didn't even drip it onto the console, just wiped it with a oiled finger lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?45
      2. Best laptop on the market11
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE56
      4. Are smart parking limited legitimate55

See more discussions