Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Damaged uPVC door panel

Posted 18th Feb
The raised moulding on the uPVC door panel is damaged. I have seen a couple of videos which show how you can replace the panel but the doors in the videos seem to have beading around the damaged panel and so the panel can be removed and replaced if you remove the beading.

This one doesn't have the beading around the panel so am I correct in thinking the panel can not be replaced?

Do I need a new door or can this be repaired? I was wondering if it can't be removed and replaced, whether the raised mouldings could be cut and new uPvc plain panel be cut to size to cover the old panel, glue that on top and reseal around the edges.

Would this work? Would the sealant be strong enough to withstand the cold elements?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
39933002-BULRD.jpg
Your whole bottom half of the door is a panel instead and that can be replaced
toonsquirel18/02/2020 15:55

Your whole bottom half of the door is a panel instead and that can be …Your whole bottom half of the door is a panel instead and that can be replaced

are you saying that the large surround panel is the beading and that can be removed and the damaged panel be replaced?

the door surround highlighted with a yellow arrow in this new pic can be removed?

39933096-wPb6I.jpg
The beads are on the other side of that panel
mutley118/02/2020 16:00

are you saying that the large surround panel is the beading and that can …are you saying that the large surround panel is the beading and that can be removed and the damaged panel be replaced?the door surround highlighted with a yellow arrow in this new pic can be removed?[Image]

39933117-Gbdth.jpg
This entire panel can be replaced like the above has said it will be removed internally so no one can break into your house this way.
You're looking at the exterior of the door, if you look at the other side you'll see the beading that clips out to replace the panel.
The beading will be a very close tight fit so you may think it's part of the actual door framing but it's not.
39933172-dcnMP.jpg
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 18th Feb
marshy5118/02/2020 16:03

The beads are on the other side of that panel

lol. now that you have said this, it would make sense that the beading is on the inside of the door as otherwise people could remove the beading and get into the house, they never said that on the youtube videos! guess they thought it was too obvious

here is a pic of the inside and it looks like the beading is there

39933234-UB7sW.jpg
mutley118/02/2020 16:20

lol. now that you have said this, it would make sense that the beading is …lol. now that you have said this, it would make sense that the beading is on the inside of the door as otherwise people could remove the beading and get into the house, they never said that on the youtube videos! guess they thought it was too obvious (lol)here is a pic of the inside and it looks like the beading is there [Image]

Yep that's the beading around the panel.
Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to remove it because you basically have to pry it from the thin gap on the door surface because it clips into place firmly, I find it's easier to start in the middle of the length of beading and not the corner and once you get it started it will come out easy.
When you put it back in after replacing the panel start at each corner of the strip and work inwards banging it into place with a rubber mallet or carefully with a piece of wood and a hammer.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 18th Feb
PaulandPam18/02/2020 16:29

Yep that's the beading around the panel.Sometimes it can be a bit of a …Yep that's the beading around the panel.Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to remove it because you basically have to pry it from the thin gap on the door surface because it clips into place firmly, I find it's easier to start in the middle of the length of beading and not the corner and once you get it started it will come out easy.When you put it back in after replacing the panel start at each corner of the strip and work inwards banging it into place with a rubber mallet or carefully with a piece of wood and a hammer.

i won't attempt the repair myself as more than likely i will end up damaging the door. i am going to get a handyman to do it but i didn't know if it was possible as i couldn't see how the panel could be removed as i couldn't see any beading on the door that was described in the videos. However, i hadn't realised i was meant to look at the inside and not the outside, doh

thanks for your help guys, as always you have been a great help

lol. now that you have said this, it would make sense that the beading is …lol. now that you have said this, it would make sense that the beading is on the inside of the door as otherwise people could remove the beading and get into the house, they never said that on the youtube videos! guess they thought it was too obvious (lol)here is a pic of the inside and it looks like the beading is there [Image]

It was pretty common for the beading to be on the outside of upvc and aluminium windows until it became public knowledge that thieves were taking the glazing panels out to break in. Manufacturers added double sided tape to some of the later ones with external beading as a work around.

When we replaced our kitchen window it took seconds with a large screwdriver to pop the beading out and lift out the the panel from the outside, had I realised it was so easy to break in, I would have worried every time we went out.
Edited by: "melted" 18th Feb
melted18/02/2020 17:29

It was pretty common for the beading to be on the outside of upvc and …It was pretty common for the beading to be on the outside of upvc and aluminium windows until it became public knowledge that thieves were taking the glazing panels out to break in. Manufacturers added double sided tape to some of the later ones with external beading as a work around. When we replaced our kitchen window it took seconds with a large screwdriver to pop the beading out and lift out the the panel from the outside, had I realised it was so easy to break in, I would have worried every time we went out.

as soon as marshy said it was on the inside of the door, it sort became pretty obvious that was where it should be. it is a schoolboy error for the manufacturer to make doors with beading on the outside!

That actually looks like you might have a gasket around the beads, they just wedge in after the beads are put in
marshy5118/02/2020 17:44

That actually looks like you might have a gasket around the beads, they …That actually looks like you might have a gasket around the beads, they just wedge in after the beads are put in

good point. i thought it was sealant but now you said it, it looks too straight to be sealant. there is some sort of rubber gasket on the outside as well. i thought it was sealant but i think it may be gasket as on the inside.
Sometimes there's a removable rubber seal or gasket on the opposite side to the plastic beading. Pull this seal out, then the panel can push into the gap, leaving the beading loose and much easier to remove without damage.
I’ve just replaced a double glazed unit in my front window 33” x 20”.
External beading. ( Not good or secure).
Went to a local company who quoted £120 plus vat.
Mt best mate took it apart in 5 mins with 2 wall paper scrapers, then went to the local company again who made a replacement in under an hour.
They through in the tape for free and charged £15 for the glass unit.
Add £8 for mates lunch and it was a cheap fix.
Doug_18/02/2020 18:49

Sometimes there's a removable rubber seal or gasket on the opposite side …Sometimes there's a removable rubber seal or gasket on the opposite side to the plastic beading. Pull this seal out, then the panel can push into the gap, leaving the beading loose and much easier to remove without damage.

thanks. this makes sense.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants