Damages win for race slur headteacher

Banned 27 replies
Found 20th Mar 2009

A successful headteacher who was accused of racism and eventually forced out of her job won more than £400,000 damages.
Erica Connor, who developed post-traumatic stress disorder, was not given the support she needed after being hounded by two Muslim school governors, a judge ruled.

Her council failed to step in when the men tried to impose an Islamic agenda at the state school, causing her 'stress leading to need for early retirement'.

More..... (Link below)

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
27 Comments

Original Poster Banned

absolutely terrible behaviour by 'adults' who are supposed to be setting examples and making schools better places. sounds like they belong in the playground.

At last common sense rules. It has been all one-sided up until now.

Thank god for common sense, at least being a white Englishman, I'm starting not to feel like a racist in my own country every time I fly the St George's cross when England play.........

Original Poster Banned

jonnyq;4690455

this link should cover all of the comments which will inevitably crop up … this link should cover all of the comments which will inevitably crop up in the thread (comments section) - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article5941506.ece

A campaign by two Muslim governors to give Islam a greater presence in a state school played a key part in forcing a successful head from her job, the High Court found yesterday.

Erica Connor, 57, the former head teacher of the New Monument primary school in Woking, Surrey, was forced to leave the school because of stress after she was accused of Islamophobia.

The High Court ruled yesterday that Surrey County Council had failed in its duty to protect her and to intervene when the actions of the governors created problems in the school’s governing body, and awarded her £400,000 damages.

The court was told that over two years, two governors campaigned to make the school more Islamic and that their behaviour had torn apart the school’s governing board. Paul Martin, a Muslim convert, tried to stir up disaffection in the community against the school and Mumtaz Saleem was verbally abusive in school meetings, it was said in court.

Although during the first five years that Mrs Connor was in charge of the school there had been good relations with the local Muslim community and improved results, the judge, John Leighton-Williams, QC, said that the situation had changed when the two men were elected as governors in 2003.

He said that the school’s governing body had become dysfunctional as a result of the behaviour of the two, and that the authority’s failure to act had led to low morale and stress among staff. The council had shown excessive tolerance for the two governors and had lost sight of the adverse effects of such conduct on the school.

Judge Leighton-Williams said that the men had an agenda to increase the role of the Muslim religion in the school and that this, combined with the authority’s failure to protect Mrs Connor, had led her to suffer serious depression.

I think Its about time the government removed all religious beliefs from schools all together. Beliefs should be taught by parents not by a school. RE lessons are there to teach people about the varied religions around the world. Everyone in school should be taught the same, wear the same etc..

Original Poster Banned

Trauts78;4690581

I think Its about time the government removed all religious beliefs from … I think Its about time the government removed all religious beliefs from schools all together. Beliefs should be taught by parents not by a school. RE lessons are there to teach people about the varied religions around the world. Everyone in school should be taught the same, wear the same etc..

I agree.

jonnyq;4690686

guv - I meant the comments that follow the articleI agree with the guy … guv - I meant the comments that follow the articleI agree with the guy who mentions why the governors weren't liable - it seems a bit odd, although i guess the council has a responsibility as well

I'll read later. Am at work ATM!

[size="7"]It Is The Will Of Allah![/size]

Trauts78;4690581

I think Its about time the government removed all religious beliefs from … I think Its about time the government removed all religious beliefs from schools all together. Beliefs should be taught by parents not by a school. RE lessons are there to teach people about the varied religions around the world. Everyone in school should be taught the same, wear the same etc..

I agree with most of that, I would go further and say that even parents should not be imposing their beliefs on to their children.

Certainly ban all religion from all schools.

Banned

Inactive;4690748

I agree with most of that, I would go further and say that even parents … I agree with most of that, I would go further and say that even parents should not be imposing their beliefs on to their children.Certainly ban all religion from all schools.

So no nativity plays or Christmas celebrations?

FilthAndFurry;4690778

I no they dont do much nativity plays now, its more about christmas than religion and for christmas, when you are at school most kids dont tend to put christmas an god in the say hand they are more excited about getting there presents from santa.

Banned

BlondeBella;4690803

I no they dont do much nativity plays now, its more about christmas than … I no they dont do much nativity plays now, its more about christmas than religion and for christmas, when you are at school most kids dont tend to put christmas an god in the say hand they are more excited about getting there presents from santa.

I know I'll be accused of being rude...but the clue's in the name.

Original Poster Banned

FilthAndFurry;4690778

Many places have already done - just in case it offends. The decision - usually made by some crackpot PC council in the belief it helps remove religious tensions and in my mind is little more than apeasement.

What next? No school dinners served during Ramadam?

The vast majority are quite happy to coexist and no reason not to accept we are all different. What a shame that everyone isn't like that.

Original Poster Banned

FilthAndFurry;4690989

Hmm ok. Santa.

Still don't get it!

Trauts78;4690581

Inactive;4690748

I agree with most of that, I would go further and say that even parents … I agree with most of that, I would go further and say that even parents should not be imposing their beliefs on to their children.Certainly ban all religion from all schools.

+ 1

FilthAndFurry;4690778

No nativity plays in state schools. They make a mockery of the very idea of a non-religious and multicultural education. I chose a state primary school over a religious school - I didn't expect leakage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your place of worship."

Banned

guv;4691006

Hmm ok. Santa.Still don't get it!

CHRISTmas.

FilthAndFurry;4690989

Yes but kids still dont always assosiate christmas with god

FilthAndFurry;4691116

CHRISTmas.

I see what you mean but can you expect a 5 year old to notice christmas has christ in it can you.

Original Poster Banned

jonnyq;4691008

I'd be very interested to see real information about this - rather than … I'd be very interested to see real information about this - rather than just anecdotes. Not aimed at you but there are always tabloid lies going around.

Not sure how I can transfer video files of interviews on here!

Did you want a few dozen links? I doubt it'd be too hard to find.

Original Poster Banned

FilthAndFurry;4691116

CHRISTmas.

Oh Lawd! (seriously)!!!!

Original Poster Banned

jonnyq;4691182

i don't mind, i'll have a look at the links :thumbsup:

[url]www.google.com[/url]

also, there may be other reasons why schools no longer do plays and not … also, there may be other reasons why schools no longer do plays and not the ones we assume (ie. political correctness)

Links?

Yeh, I know! (google)

Original Poster Banned

jonnyq;4691347

you are meant to be proving your argument to me - i merely said that … you are meant to be proving your argument to me - i merely said that there may be other reasons - therefore you should be doing the legwork

LOL - yeh I know! I'm at work though- I have an excuse - and using an iPhone isn't as easy as everyone will tell you!

Original Poster Banned

jonnyq;4691391

why don't you copy and paste the links - your iphone can do that now … why don't you copy and paste the links - your iphone can do that now :thumbsup:

LOL not yet it can't!

FilthAndFurry;4690778

Nope, nor is there any valid reason to have them in any school/s.

Trauts78;4690581

I also totally agree, but when will we ever actually get to have a say in what our children are taught in school? It's so annoying nowadays and like you say, any strong views/values should be taught at home, they have enough to teach at school as it is.

With the multicultural society we live in, it is more important now more than ever that children learn about eachothers beliefs in school, rather than from some of the misinformed parents out there

There isn't a more important lesson to be learnt in school than respect for others and good morals

She has my full support and sympathy. This is a clear indication that the councils and government dont want to confront anything race related when in fact they should be facing and hitting it head on.

They rabble on about erradicating racism from our society yet they are the ones that are afraid to confront it.

Personally I'd be hitting it head on. Its about time society dealt with this rather than being PC mad and afraid.

The council concerned is a disgrace. And furthermore, whats happening to the 2 governors who vindictively harrased this successful headteacher? Why arent those 2 governers arrested and improsoned? Yet another disgrace.....

BlondeBella;4691140

Yes but kids still dont always assosiate christmas with godI see what you … Yes but kids still dont always assosiate christmas with godI see what you mean but can you expect a 5 year old to notice christmas has christ in it can you.

Not if you don't teach them what it's about.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74845
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
    3. Win free gin for a year99
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65

See more discussions