Damp / Mould

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
Hi all,

There is damp (I think) on pretty much every window sill and it’s creeping up onto the walls too. The tenant didn’t ventilate the property at all and it was wall to wall, wall to floor packed with “stuff” eg boxes, bags etc etc.

I’ve opened the windows and air vents so the air is flowing and circulating throughout the house. I’ve put in dehumidifiers too.

Is there anything else I can do to control it and get rid of it? It’s on the carpets too.

Thank you all x
3371552.jpg

3371552.jpg

3371552.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Wipe it all off with a mild bleach solution or a mould and mildew spray to remove it. That should slow down or stop any regrowth as long as it is well ventilated as well. We have that problem in our conservatory. Not sure how to remove it from the carpets though.
Did they ever put the central heating on, assuming the property has it?
The property is only five years old so I’m disappointed the tenant has left it in this condition. It wasn’t difficult to maintain.

Central heating throughout the property, but I can’t say if it was utilised...
Try a dehumidifier or try a "Ozone Generator" do your own research and follow all safety instructions....
nhoops22/12/2019 10:20

Wipe it all off with a mild bleach solution or a mould and mildew spray to …Wipe it all off with a mild bleach solution or a mould and mildew spray to remove it. That should slow down or stop any regrowth as long as it is well ventilated as well. We have that problem in our conservatory. Not sure how to remove it from the carpets though.

Thank you. I’ll do it today once I’m there and I really think the carpet can’t be saved..
bleach will do the trick it works wonders
If by dehumidifier if you mean those small b9xes, then it won't do anything.
Wear a mask gloves etc and get proper mould removers out.
check gutters and roof too make sure all is clear.
Remove carpets totally. This black mould spreads spores. Likely to be under carpet too. Baby wipes can clean the windows and frames. If it’s in the walls these is a “paint” solution you can get brim b&q but it’s really toxic and requires you to be very careful. The mould spores will also be in any soft furnishings furniture bed linen even inside the washing machine. So clean thoroughly with gloves and a madk
get polycell mould killer and wipe all visible mould with it. spray it on the mould on the carpet then hoover thoroughly when it is dry.

you need to kill and remove all the mould from the flat otherwise they will spread as they are living organism and will grow and spread if you don't kill them.
Hennah22/12/2019 10:50

Thank you. I’ll do it today once I’m there and I really think the carpet ca …Thank you. I’ll do it today once I’m there and I really think the carpet can’t be saved..

If original, five years is a reasonable life for a carpet in rental sector (ref to "medium quality") and I doubt TDS or similar would automatically accept any ll detriment claim at that age unless high quality and appropriate to the space. Maybe approach with a different and positive mindset: to remove residual base of mould and provide an attractive appearance that will increase the marketing appeal of the property.
I have that on my windows too. I always open them but it's that time of year
Get a 40p 2 litre bottle of thin bleach and decant into spray bottles

Spray all the mould, leave for an hour and wipe off with kitchen towel

Job done
HG mould spray is so effective, takes minutes to clear. I have found it more effective than bleach.
Rose523/12/2019 06:52

HG mould spray is so effective, takes minutes to clear. I have found it …HG mould spray is so effective, takes minutes to clear. I have found it more effective than bleach.

Totally agree , it costs around £3/£4 a bottle , works superbly then use a dehumidifier to keep the house mould free
Edited by: "mikeportsmouth" 23rd Dec 2019
chocci23/12/2019 05:18

Get a 40p 2 litre bottle of thin bleach and decant into spray bottlesSpray …Get a 40p 2 litre bottle of thin bleach and decant into spray bottlesSpray all the mould, leave for an hour and wipe off with kitchen towelJob done

Thank you x
mikeportsmouth23/12/2019 06:57

Totally agree , it costs around £3 a bottle , works superbly then use a …Totally agree , it costs around £3 a bottle , works superbly then use a dehumidifier to keep the house mould free

Thank you. Have just ordered it
mutley122/12/2019 12:40

get polycell mould killer and wipe all visible mould with it. spray it on …get polycell mould killer and wipe all visible mould with it. spray it on the mould on the carpet then hoover thoroughly when it is dry.you need to kill and remove all the mould from the flat otherwise they will spread as they are living organism and will grow and spread if you don't kill them.

Ordered it too, many thanks. Hope it works. If not, change of carpet
All the remedies suggested here contain bleach so not sure it would do the carpet much good , walls and windows should be fine but personally would bite the bullet and just change the carpets
Hennah23/12/2019 07:27

Ordered it too, many thanks. Hope it works. If not, change of carpet

i have problems with mould all the time in the properties and i find the polycell mould killer to be the best. apply the solution on to a big sponge, one of those they use to clean cars. wear kitchen gloves and then wipe the mould with the sponge. they will wipe off very easily, then just leave to dry. the dry solution will stop the growth of mould for a couple of months.

wipe the carpet as well and then hoover the next day. any stains left from the mould can be removed with carpet stain remover. are the mould on the entire carpet or just small areas?
Thank you so much for advice x

It’s not the entire carpet, it’s in just one particular area. I lifted it up and the underlay does seem “okay”

The tenant let the entire bathroom flood so the water seeped through into the bedroom next door. I’m going down there today after work so I’ll take a photo. Thank you again.
Hennah23/12/2019 12:01

Thank you so much for advice x It’s not the entire carpet, it’s in just one …Thank you so much for advice x It’s not the entire carpet, it’s in just one particular area. I lifted it up and the underlay does seem “okay” The tenant let the entire bathroom flood so the water seeped through into the bedroom next door. I’m going down there today after work so I’ll take a photo. Thank you again.

i don't think you need to throw the carpet out as mould dies very easily if you apply the mould killer and you can clean the carpet. post the photo of the affected carpet so it is clear what the damage is when you have that later.

fortunately mould can be cleaned very easily and the carpet can be washed.
39477533-Hh8Vy.jpg
39477533-cIdwI.jpg
39477533-ELZB1.jpg
from the pics, i would scrub the area of the carpet with the mould marks with mould cleaner and leave to dry. hoover thoroughly the next day and if there are stains from the mould on the carpet after hoovering, then clean the stains with carpet stain remover solution.

i assume the carpet is not damp?
mutley123/12/2019 19:49

from the pics, i would scrub the area of the carpet with the mould marks …from the pics, i would scrub the area of the carpet with the mould marks with mould cleaner and leave to dry. hoover thoroughly the next day and if there are stains from the mould on the carpet after hoovering, then clean the stains with carpet stain remover solution.i assume the carpet is not damp?

Thank you.

No, the carpet isn’t damp. It’s completely dry.
Hennah23/12/2019 21:04

Thank you. No, the carpet isn’t damp. It’s completely dry.

if the carpet is not damp then once you have cleaned the mould it will be fine. mould is a living organism and it needs damp to grow. without damp it won't grow again after you have cleaned it with the mould killer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants