Dandelions on the lawn

Found 30th Apr
Can somebody please tell me the best way to get rid of dandelions on the lawn? I mowed the grass a while ago and there must be well over 130 dandelions on the lawn. Last Summer I spent ages trying to dig them all up, but I'd really like to know of a quicker and easier way of doing it without killing the grass, if possible? Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
or this wilko.com/wee…235

If you want to feed the lawn then use what cuzzy suggests - if just a weedkill use the Lawn Weedol. Use a pressure sprayer screwfix.com/p/g…100 and just spot treat any weed on the lawn.

I use a weed and feed on my front garden so I have to cut that every week but the Lawn Weedol on my back which I can get away with doing every fortnight.
Edited by: "Van1973" 30th Apr
I'd get one of these argos.co.uk/pro…781 . -very therapeutic , and use it in conjunction with a lawn weedkiller such as the above .

Dandelions have tap roots (rather like a carrot ) so you need to get the whole root out , that weedpuller slips down the side of the root , close it up and pull - job done - but 130 times ?

Understand how granular lawn fertiliser/weedkiller works . You sprinkle it on your lawn on a dry day , it sits on the broad leaved weeds (such as dandelions) for a couple of days and theoretically eventually kills them . It falls through your grass to the earth below and acts as a fertiliser when it rains or is watered (a couple of days later).

You will need repeat applications every 3 or 4 weeks and never let the dandelions go to seed . Maybe fun to blow the head off a dandelion - but it just spreads the seeds .

With a mixture of physical (puller) and chemical (lawn weedkiller) means you should have a lovely lawn for the summer .

I also over seed (sprinkle a few grams of fine grass seed over the lawn ) between applications of fertiliser /weedkiller , also chucking some seed in the holes where I have pulled out the weeds .

homebase.co.uk/rou…672 This stuff which you smear direct onto the offending dandelions (rather like lipstick ) also works really well .
I like the idea of the stuff that you smear directly onto the offending dandelions. I looked at the video and it showed the dandelion dying. When it gets to that state, is it easy to dig the root out or is it going to be still quite strong under the ground? Thank you.
Sophiasky3 m ago

I like the idea of the stuff that you smear directly onto the offending …I like the idea of the stuff that you smear directly onto the offending dandelions. I looked at the video and it showed the dandelion dying. When it gets to that state, is it easy to dig the root out or is it going to be still quite strong under the ground? Thank you.

I've just had another look at the instructions. This stuff would be alright for dandelions on paths, etc. It says not to apply to dandelions on the lawn unless you want to kill the grass.
Sophiasky6 m ago

I've just had another look at the instructions. This stuff would be …I've just had another look at the instructions. This stuff would be alright for dandelions on paths, etc. It says not to apply to dandelions on the lawn unless you want to kill the grass.

I didn't look to closely at the link , but I know you can get them for use on the lawn . The ones I have are about the size of a "Pritt stick " and you apply directly to the weed . I'm sure you will find them on EBay ,Amazon or at Homebase /Wilko or similar .
I recommend Evergreen Complete 4in1 - Link
Edited by: "tregs" 30th Apr
I have a fiskars weed puller which is perfect for dandelion removal , it takes a lot of the tap root out and then you just fill the hole with the soil you shake off from it . It's great for the large dandelions but will take a couple of seasons to get rid of the number you have.
Now the lawn at different times between cuts but before seeding flowers appear.
That way you get them growing up to cut height and you lip the heads off. Helping prevent more plants.
Then use one of the root rippers to get them out. The 130 holes will help aerate your grass, helping long term.
ScubaDudes2 h, 14 m ago

I use weedol once a year - …I use weedol once a year - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weedol-Weedkiller-Liquid-Concentrate-Bottle/dp/B00S1GMAU8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525098778&sr=8-1π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=weedol+lawn+weed+killer

This is the best thing to use, I do my lawn once a year with this and I hardly ever see a dandelion, clover, or creeping buttercup etc in the grass. What you do need to consider though, is that you can spray, dig up, nuke as many dandelions as you want but if your neighbor or any other area of ground close to you has a major dandelion problem then so will you have as the seed heads will travel quite some distance and quite easily onto your lawn.
Alternative idea: get two rabbits
Leave them for the bees. It's still (fairly) cold for them and they've not long come out of their dormant period and they need all the food they can get at the moment; Dandies help them.

Probably the single most valuable early spring wildflower is the dandelion. If a hive survives the winter, beekeepers know the bees will be safe from starvation if they can stay alive until dandelions bloom. Dandelionpollen is moderately nutritious and the nectar is abundant

WE need bees.
Edited by: "artnada" 30th Apr
salt
artnada1 h, 10 m ago

Leave them for the bees. It's still (fairly) cold for them and they've not …Leave them for the bees. It's still (fairly) cold for them and they've not long come out of their dormant period and they need all the food they can get at the moment; Dandies help them. Probably the single most valuable early spring wildflower is the dandelion. If a hive survives the winter, beekeepers know the bees will be safe from starvation if they can stay alive until dandelions bloom. Dandelionpollen is moderately nutritious and the nectar is abundantWE need bees.

Cherry blossom is out as are many more flower dense plants. I don’t think the dandelions will sway them that much, in the right areas of course.
Thank you all for the suggestions, much appreciated.
A very informative thread, thanks op. I'll be getting some of these products that have been recommended. I have a problem with weeds to moss to dead patches lol. Think I'd be better off ripping it up and relaying a new lawn
If you must eradicate the dandelions , please choose product carefully, many pollinators ,particuarlly honeybees forage on dandelions. What ever you use may be taken back to the colonies of the bees etc visiting your garden in the nectar and pollen they collect for food. It may also find its way into the honey the beekeeper may be selling in your local shop.
Edited by: "Flynn.Jack" 30th Apr
A golf club, hours of fun.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants