Dangerous Cable?

Found 3rd Aug
Hi, I have a Dell laptop dock and a cable coming from the dock to the power brick (which then has a power lead plugged into it) has a small nick in the cable. The rubber is slightly split and I can see a little part of silver wire.

Whilst it's not effecting the use of the dock, I'm wondering if it's safe?

Thanks
Community Updates
8 Comments
If you're that concerned why don't you insulating tape.
RiverDragon87 m ago

If you're that concerned why don't you insulating tape.

Is that just PVC tape?
How did the cable split ? This is important as a perished cable needs to be replaced.
superfreddy3rd Aug

Is that just PVC tape?

Yes that will do - after the "brick" which is actually a transformer (if I read your comment right) there is only 9 volts and low current going towards your laptop so its not going to electrocute you .
Thanks. No idea. It's constantly taken out and about so it's probably when wrapped around the dock maybe. It's not caused any issues but I have taped it up to ensure it doesn't get worse.
To make it a bit more permanent put some liquid electrical tape on/in it.
Do it right first time with shrink wrap, tapes okay as a temporary cover but it always works its way loose if it’s a cable being used often.
rogparki13 h, 54 m ago

Yes that will do - after the "brick" which is actually a transformer (if I …Yes that will do - after the "brick" which is actually a transformer (if I read your comment right) there is only 9 volts and low current going towards your laptop so its not going to electrocute you .

It's higher current at low voltage. If it's 9V I'd expect it to be several amperes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants