Dangerous Police Driver - What would you do?

Found 29th Jan
We followed a Police car up the M1/M6 two nights back.

We were driving through the 50mph average zone just before the M6 exit. It was about 8pm at night, and it's dark, but with streetlights on this stretch of the M1. The Police car overtook us at about 70-75mph, with no headlights on and no emergency lights on.

They move across all 3 lanes and swerve slightly late into the M6 exit lane, over the solid white lines.

Half way down the M6 slip-road, they find another car keeping to the 50mph average speed limit and stick their blue emergency lights on to overtake the car, across a solid white line and into the box with dashed lines separating the two exit lanes before they join together again. They turn their emergency lights off after overtaking.

We catch up with them on the M6 and they're still driving with no headlights on at 75mph, now with no street lights on, so it's completely dark.

We flash a couple of times and they turn their headlights on eventually.

They don't move over to the left lane with at least a mile gap. It's not a big deal given it's really quiet on the road and they're a Police car doing 75mph - no ones going to overtake anyway. But then a couple of miles down the road there's a van in the middle lane, arguably still overtaking a car that's in the left lane about 10 metres ahead. The Police car slows down and really aggressively tail-gates the van. It's hard to say how close, but it looked as close as a metre at one point. The Police car puts their indicator on and swerves to the right of the lane so the van driver can see him. The van slows down slightly without breaking and pulls in behind the car they were overtaking, at the same time as the Police car puts their blue emergency lights on for a few seconds in a 'show of power'.

It's all on dash cam. I don't normally pull video's from the dash cam, it's more there for insurance claims in an accident, but this was some of the most aggressive driving I've seen in a while, and being a Police driver makes it even worse.

What would you do?

Report it? Upload it? Forget about it?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
get on with your life
sell it to the daily mail and do a sad face story

So you were traveling faster than 75mph to catch up with them?
pete19936 m ago

Where would you even report something like this? Phone 101?

LINK

There are two ways to complain:

Complete an online form

To complain about a specific police force, please select the appropriate 'local police' force from the drop-down list below. You will be then be taken directly to the complaints section of that force’s website. To complain about another organisation covered by the police complaints system, select the organisation in the 'other' drop-down menu below.

Local police- Please select -Constabulary Select the relevant police force using the drop down menu and select the ‘complain directly to the police force selected above’ button to go directly to that police force’s complaints form.

Other- Please select -

Complain using the IOPC online complaint form

If you make a complaint using our online forms, we do not keep any of the information. Your form goes direct to the professional standards department of the relevant police force to be dealt with.

Complete a Word or PDF formYou can complete a Word version of our complaint form or print out and complete a PDF version of our complaint form.

If you send us a paper copy of your complaint, we will register the information you provide before sending it on to the appropriate authority to be dealt with.

You can also complete a Word easy read or PDF easy read version of the complaint form.

57 Comments
Upload
I'd upload it.
Report it. Where's the doubt? If their superiors think its stupid then they'll get disciplined

What if you were in charge... wouldn't you prefer to know about two idiots in your team who were driving like pillocks and endangering lives?
Report it simple.
sell it to the daily mail and do a sad face story
Original Poster
cliosport658 m ago

Report it simple.

davewave8 m ago

Report it. Where's the doubt? If their superiors think its stupid then …Report it. Where's the doubt? If their superiors think its stupid then they'll get disciplinedWhat if you were in charge... wouldn't you prefer to know about two idiots in your team who were driving like pillocks and endangering lives?

Original Poster
33161205-DcvEy.jpg
pete19936 m ago

LINK

There are two ways to complain:

Complete an online form

To complain about a specific police force, please select the appropriate 'local police' force from the drop-down list below. You will be then be taken directly to the complaints section of that force’s website. To complain about another organisation covered by the police complaints system, select the organisation in the 'other' drop-down menu below.

Local police- Please select -Constabulary Select the relevant police force using the drop down menu and select the ‘complain directly to the police force selected above’ button to go directly to that police force’s complaints form.

Other- Please select -

Complain using the IOPC online complaint form

If you make a complaint using our online forms, we do not keep any of the information. Your form goes direct to the professional standards department of the relevant police force to be dealt with.

Complete a Word or PDF formYou can complete a Word version of our complaint form or print out and complete a PDF version of our complaint form.

If you send us a paper copy of your complaint, we will register the information you provide before sending it on to the appropriate authority to be dealt with.

You can also complete a Word easy read or PDF easy read version of the complaint form.

get on with your life
Maybe they were on their way to an emergency, they don't have to use their lights.

Out of interest did you speed to keep up? Since you say they were speeding but you kept pace?
report it, police aren't above the law

I wanna see the vid please.
He could have been a police ninja trying to catch someone unawares...
Upload the vid or it's fake news
Could be trying to get close to a suspect/s without being noticed, of course they could have just used/sent an unmarked car.
Show up the dashcam footage please
Report it as you have the Reg no. and time/date, the authorities will have the ability to trace the driver.

Be wary about the footage though as it will show you were speeding as well..?
Why are you hogging the 3rd lane if the cops were driving faster than you ?
YouTube.
Original Poster
catbeans3 h, 2 m ago

Maybe they were on their way to an emergency, they don't have to use their …Maybe they were on their way to an emergency, they don't have to use their lights.Out of interest did you speed to keep up? Since you say they were speeding but you kept pace?

Police don’t have to use their headlights when driving down a motorway in the dark if they’re on an emergency call?

J4GG43 h, 0 m ago

Yes I was speeding. When I said ‘catching up’, he was about 200m ahead. I sped up to 80 to catch up after the 50 average finished. I know a post like this comes across as being all ‘high and mighty’ when I’m criticising someone else’s driving. I know for sure I’m not a perfect driver. I don’t always follow all the rules, but there’s a difference between minor speeding and aggressive tailgating. Tailgating is the height of stupidity on the road - you’re putting yourself in a position where it’s impossible to avoid a crash if the guy in front has no option but to brake, no human has a reaction time good enough to avoid that.

mattsk1 h, 17 m ago

Why are you hogging the 3rd lane if the cops were driving faster than you ?

I hate lane hogging. The dash cam has a really wide angle, almost fish-eye lens. It gives the appearance that they’re further away than they are. Look at the chevron on the road for distance, I’m less than 2 chevrons away from the back of the van. I pulled out into the 3rd lane to overtake the van that was doing about 60. I was expecting the ‘cop’ to pull out as well, but when he slammed on his brakes to try and make a point to the van driver, I slowed down as well. The chances of an accident happening are significantly high when someone is tailgating that much and I wasn’t willing to risk being part of it, so I backed off and pulled back in.

Feels like this has turned into more of an interrogation. 🙄
pete199312 m ago

Police don’t have to use their headlights when driving down a motorway i … Police don’t have to use their headlights when driving down a motorway in the dark if they’re on an emergency call? Yes I was speeding. When I said ‘catching up’, he was about 200m ahead. I sped up to 80 to catch up after the 50 average finished. I know a post like this comes across as being all ‘high and mighty’ when I’m criticising someone else’s driving. I know for sure I’m not a perfect driver. I don’t always follow all the rules, but there’s a difference between minor speeding and aggressive tailgating. Tailgating is the height of stupidity on the road - you’re putting yourself in a position where it’s impossible to avoid a crash if the guy in front has no option but to brake, no human has a reaction time good enough to avoid that. I hate lane hogging. The dash cam has a really wide angle, almost fish-eye lens. It gives the appearance that they’re further away than they are. Look at the chevron on the road for distance, I’m less than 2 chevrons away from the back of the van. I pulled out into the 3rd lane to overtake the van that was doing about 60. I was expecting the ‘cop’ to pull out as well, but when he slammed on his brakes to try and make a point to the van driver, I slowed down as well. The chances of an accident happening are significantly high when someone is tailgating that much and I wasn’t willing to risk being part of it, so I backed off and pulled back in.Feels like this has turned into more of an interrogation. 🙄

Hmmmm,, without sounding harsh.. You're complaining about someone possibly breaking the law, while you were doing the same thing. I do think the motorways should be 80MPH, its proven that it reduces accidents. But while the law states 70MPH, anything over that is breaking the law.

Could I take your registration plate and the date you were speeding please?.
You can upload the video to rate-driver.co.uk anonymously provided you have the regd number

That's what I would do first. Then subject to the comments from the physical evidence I'd probably be contacting the media if it was deemed irresponsible/dangerous.

No person is above the law (or should be or unless you are a billionaire/politician/police officer oh wait)
pete19931 h, 16 m ago

Police don’t have to use their headlights when driving down a motorway i … Police don’t have to use their headlights when driving down a motorway in the dark if they’re on an emergency call? Yes I was speeding. When I said ‘catching up’, he was about 200m ahead. I sped up to 80 to catch up after the 50 average finished. I know a post like this comes across as being all ‘high and mighty’ when I’m criticising someone else’s driving. I know for sure I’m not a perfect driver. I don’t always follow all the rules, but there’s a difference between minor speeding and aggressive tailgating. Tailgating is the height of stupidity on the road - you’re putting yourself in a position where it’s impossible to avoid a crash if the guy in front has no option but to brake, no human has a reaction time good enough to avoid that. I hate lane hogging. The dash cam has a really wide angle, almost fish-eye lens. It gives the appearance that they’re further away than they are. Look at the chevron on the road for distance, I’m less than 2 chevrons away from the back of the van. I pulled out into the 3rd lane to overtake the van that was doing about 60. I was expecting the ‘cop’ to pull out as well, but when he slammed on his brakes to try and make a point to the van driver, I slowed down as well. The chances of an accident happening are significantly high when someone is tailgating that much and I wasn’t willing to risk being part of it, so I backed off and pulled back in.Feels like this has turned into more of an interrogation. 🙄

.. they don't need to put on their emergency lights.
The police officer may have deemed speed necessary, but since they were on the motorway deemed emergency lights unnecessary since they funny need to earn traffic or get traffic out of their way.
Well, first I'd post about it on HUKD to see what kind of reaction I'd got. Without supporting evidence of course, because that would just backfire horribly.

Obviously that's the most important step.

Any other subsequent steps that may or may not happen, or should or should not have happened are of no consequence now.
Edited by: "MSK." 30th Jan
Please put it on YouTube. You will get loads of views and ignore the silly comments from above because at the end of the day the driver has committed a driving offense a few times so i would also report them to police
catbeans5 h, 24 m ago

.. they don't need to put on their emergency lights. The police officer ….. they don't need to put on their emergency lights. The police officer may have deemed speed necessary, but since they were on the motorway deemed emergency lights unnecessary since they funny need to earn traffic or get traffic out of their way.

OP stated they turned their headlights off
I would definitely report them. They’re driving aggressively and dangerously.
Original Poster
J4GG48 h, 7 m ago

Hmmmm,, without sounding harsh.. You're complaining about someone possibly …Hmmmm,, without sounding harsh.. You're complaining about someone possibly breaking the law, while you were doing the same thing. I do think the motorways should be 80MPH, its proven that it reduces accidents. But while the law states 70MPH, anything over that is breaking the law.Could I take your registration plate and the date you were speeding please?.

I'm not complaining about his speed. The speed is a non-issue on it's own, it becomes an issue when it's speeding + no lights on a dark motorway + aggressive tailgating.

I do get your argument - but where do you draw the line? Applying your logic to the extreme, if I witness a murder and the culprit, I wouldn't report it because while I was witnessing the murder, I was driving 31 in a 30, which is technically a crime and therefore I'd be a hypocrite.
pete19938 h, 30 m ago

I hate lane hogging. The dash cam has a really wide angle, almost fish-eye …I hate lane hogging. The dash cam has a really wide angle, almost fish-eye lens. It gives the appearance that they’re further away than they are. Look at the chevron on the road for distance, I’m less than 2 chevrons away from the back of the van. I pulled out into the 3rd lane to overtake the van that was doing about 60. I was expecting the ‘cop’ to pull out as well, but when he slammed on his brakes to try and make a point to the van driver, I slowed down as well. The chances of an accident happening are significantly high when someone is tailgating that much and I wasn’t willing to risk being part of it, so I backed off and pulled back in.Feels like this has turned into more of an interrogation. 🙄

Ok so lets get this right...
you were driving on a 50mph average speed part of the motorway
the van driver was doing 60 and you were overtaking him on 3rd lane (and being undertaken by the police car)

so my question is.....
why the fork were you even on a 3rd lane overtaking!?
how forking dare you complaining about the police car braking the law when you are incapable of driving correctly either? its 50mph speed limit, 1st lane clearly empty, you should not even be on a 3rd lane in the first place
Edited by: "mattsk" 30th Jan
Original Poster
catbeans7 h, 15 m ago

.. they don't need to put on their emergency lights. The police officer ….. they don't need to put on their emergency lights. The police officer may have deemed speed necessary, but since they were on the motorway deemed emergency lights unnecessary since they funny need to earn traffic or get traffic out of their way.

You're completely missing the point. I get what you're saying - the Police don't need to use emergency lights all the time while on an emergency call. The point is, driving without any headlights at all at night is dangerous, whether on an emergency call or not. In this situation, I think it's incredibly unlikely they were on an emergency call - if so I doubt they'd only be doing 75mph and then hanging around to tailgate a driver in the middle lane when the third lane is completely free. They also took the same exit and sat at a red light a bit later.
Original Poster
mattsk10 m ago

Ok so lets get this right...you were driving on a 50mph average speed part …Ok so lets get this right...you were driving on a 50mph average speed part of the motorwaythe van driver was doing 60 and you were overtaking him on 3rd lane (and being undertaken by the police car)so my question is.....why the fork were you even on a 3rd lane overtaking!?how forking dare you complaining about the police car braking the law when you are incapable of driving correctly either? its 50mph speed limit, 1st lane clearly empty, you should not even be on a 3rd lane in the first place

At the point of the photo, the average 50 has ended, and it's back up to 70.

The first lane isn't empty. There's a car hidden behind the two in the photo.

I'm not being 'undertaken by a Police car', absolutely no idea where you get that bit from. I'm following him, at just 5mph over the speed limit, and wrongly pre-empted his lane change.

I'm sorry. Can you forgive me?
I going to suggest the original post is slanderous and untrue. Hence the reluctance to actually post the video.
Unless I see it posted, this thread is dead to me.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 30th Jan
Original Poster
Chiptivo2 h, 7 m ago

I going to suggest the original post is slanderous and untrue. Hence the …I going to suggest the original post is slanderous and untrue. Hence the reluctance to actually post the video. Unless I see it posted, this thread is dead to me.

I'll post the video in time. I'm speaking to someone interested in buying the video. If I post it here, it's in the public domain and loses any value it had, if it does have any value.
pete19934 m ago

I'll post the video in time. I'm speaking to someone interested in buying …I'll post the video in time. I'm speaking to someone interested in buying the video. If I post it here, it's in the public domain and loses any value it had, if it does have any value.

Aaaah, now we get to the nitty girtty
Maybe the thread title should read 'I've got a video of the police driving badly. Do you think it's worth owt?'
Original Poster
deeky17 m ago

Aaaah, now we get to the nitty girtty Maybe the thread title should …Aaaah, now we get to the nitty girtty Maybe the thread title should read 'I've got a video of the police driving badly. Do you think it's worth owt?'

I might upload a heavily watermarked version just to post here so HUKD can brutally destroy my driving even more
pete19938 m ago

(cheeky)I might upload a heavily watermarked version just to post here so …(cheeky)I might upload a heavily watermarked version just to post here so HUKD can brutally destroy my driving even more

I bet you forgot to use your idicators when changing lanes too.

You should be locked up.
Chiptivo2 h, 46 m ago

I going to suggest the original post is slanderous and untrue...

Libel, not slander.
pete19931 h, 42 m ago

I'll post the video in time. I'm speaking to someone interested in buying …I'll post the video in time. I'm speaking to someone interested in buying the video. If I post it here, it's in the public domain and loses any value it had, if it does have any value.

So you've no interest in people's safely at all, you just want to make s few quid. Disgusting. I wasn't far wrong with my original comment then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants