Dangerous wiring found in my house - any redress against seller/electrical inspector?

Found 14th Aug 2015
I bought a house from a self-employed electrician four years ago. A "Periodic inspection report for an electrical installation" was done (by the vendor) which reported no problems.

However, I've had an electrician round today to fix something else (dodgy wiring in my downstairs WC room) and he noticed the four spotlights in both my bathroom and ensuite are unsafe, illegal and potentially lethal. They are 50w GU10s in ordinary swivel metal housings and unearthed in a wet environment; there's even one in the ceiling above the shower. It seems reasonable to assume they were fitted by the vendor himself, an electrician.

After four years, I'm wondering what redress I would have against the vendor and the inspector who signed off the report. At the least I should inform the NICEIC about the vendor's incompetent and dangerous work, but should I also be able to recover the cost of fixing the lights either via my solicitor (would I get my costs back?) or the Small Claims Court.

As I didn't employ the electrician and I'm assuming he did the work himself, do I have a claim that would stick?

5 Comments

Trading Standards and your solicitor (or another one for free 30min advice) would be my choice.

Not sure if you have a case but I've experienced similar bad "workmanship" years after contracts were signed.

The problem you'll have is his word against yours, it's not a hugely expensive job to fix and personally i'd just get on with it.

In your opening post you do state 'It seems reasonable to assume they were fitted by the vendor himself, an electrician.' - reasonable isn't definite and it would likely be a civil case as opposed to criminal so you would need to fund it yourself.

ipswich78

The problem you'll have is his word against yours, it's not a hugely … The problem you'll have is his word against yours, it's not a hugely expensive job to fix and personally i'd just get on with it.In your opening post you do state 'It seems reasonable to assume they were fitted by the vendor himself, an electrician.' - reasonable isn't definite and it would likely be a civil case as opposed to criminal so you would need to fund it yourself.

+1

no doubt the electrician will say they didnt do those fittings.

Not a leg to stand on as after this amount of time you could have fitted nth amount of light fittings. I wouldn't personally worry about the ceiling mounted ones other then the one above the shower. Others will disagree but people have had these setups for decades. As others have said not that expensive to rectify, expect to pay about £10-£15 for a single ceiling mounted bathroom rated GU10 light fitting.

Not that it matters but I have been in houses with water literally dripping of the light bulb from leaks etc. In one it had a small stalactite forming so that had been there for years!
Edited by: "Argoj" 14th Aug 2015

Original Poster

Many thanks for the answers, guys; your advice is as I'd suspected.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants