Dash cam

Found 2nd Feb 2016
Hey guys,

Well after watching Car Crash Britain, I have decided that I should probably invest in a dashcam. My only problem is I have no idea what features I require, so I'd be grateful if somebody who has a clue about these things could advise on which to get? My budget is around £60, although I could stretch to a bit more if it is worth doing so.

Many thanks in advance.

1. Ask
  2. Dash Cam
28 Comments

You need to check out the videos by Techmoan youtube.com/pla…328
This guy does in depth tests on the dash cams from cheap to premium.

Möbius.

I have one in each car.

The reviewer mentioned above has a feature on it.

You don't need it to have a screen.

I need one too.. should look out for the 'motion detection' feature, and hardwire the camera to the mains.

Original Poster

samwants2save

I need one too.. should look out for the 'motion detection' feature, and … I need one too.. should look out for the 'motion detection' feature, and hardwire the camera to the mains.

​Is hardwiring something that is quite simple to do or would it be best paying for it to be done?

Original Poster

willhay555

Möbius.I have one in each car.The reviewer mentioned above has a feature … Möbius.I have one in each car.The reviewer mentioned above has a feature on it.You don't need it to have a screen.

​Thanks for the advice, looks like a great little camera. Like samwants2save mentions, would you recommend having the Mobïus hardwired?

Banned

one thing

buy one which you don't have to plug every time
I do and its been 1 year it's in glove box

sofiasar

one thingbuy one which you don't have to plug every timeI do and its been … one thingbuy one which you don't have to plug every timeI do and its been 1 year it's in glove box

What's the point of having a dashcam in your glovebox? Do you even read the questions before coming out with this shizzle?

Yeah I got one as recommended by tech moan g1w or something. Was like £35 on amazon. Check out tech moans youtube channel

Get the Mobius from Banggood, its a brilliant camera for the price.

ChrisUK

exactly the one I am considering - loads of support and accessories available and very discrete - and you do not need a screen for continual recording - in fact it can be a distraction, esp at night

EliTom

elitom

exactly the one I am considering - loads of support and accessories … exactly the one I am considering - loads of support and accessories available and very discrete - and you do not need a screen for continual recording - in fact it can be a distraction, esp at nightEliTom

I got it.

The only additional things you need are the power supply (which are cheap enough - I just used the one from my old camera) & a mount (I posted a link to one in the Mobius thread, it was about £4).

Original Poster

ChrisUK

Previous … Previous info:http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mobius-c2-hd-dashcam-46-74-delivered-banggood-com-2296587#commentshttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mobius-v3-c2-1080p-hd-camera-41-delivered-from-uk-with-code-banggood-com-2341827

​Thanks for all the useful info.

The only thing that concerns me is I'm currently leasing my car. And if I'm going to hardwire it I don't want it to interfere with any terms and conditions of my agreement.

NinjaDinosaur

​Thanks for all the useful info.The only thing that concerns me is I'm c … ​Thanks for all the useful info.The only thing that concerns me is I'm currently leasing my car. And if I'm going to hardwire it I don't want it to interfere with any terms and conditions of my agreement.

I've never hardwired any of mine either mate.

The power cable can easily be tucked away behind the door rubber seals, under plastic trim & in the headliner.

Takes 5 mins to tuck the wires away

NinjaDinosaur

​Thanks for all the useful info.The only thing that concerns me is I'm c … ​Thanks for all the useful info.The only thing that concerns me is I'm currently leasing my car. And if I'm going to hardwire it I don't want it to interfere with any terms and conditions of my agreement.

As long as you've done it properly, just push the USB lead under the trim before you return the car!

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't forget these cameras run on 5 volt USB and not 12-14 volt car power, meaning you'll have to take apart and solder to the circuit board inside the cigarette lighter plug end.

esar

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't forget these cameras run on 5 … Don't take this the wrong way, but don't forget these cameras run on 5 volt USB and not 12-14 volt car power, meaning you'll have to take apart and solder to the circuit board inside the cigarette lighter plug end.

er no ....

either a dedicated cigarette lighter plug to mini USB lead or a normal mini USB lead and a USB cigarette lighter plug will suffice - simple

EliTom

That's not hard wiring then is it!

The easiest way to hardwire something like this (which is also the safest option as you retain all standard equipment & fuses), is to wire a 12v multi adapter to the cars electrics (making sure to earth it !).

For example

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y8Ycr4x2L._SY300_.jpg

You can then just plug any 12v devices into the sockets (behind the dash where you can remove things quite easily is the best option). I did this a few years ago, but really no need if you're not too bothered about the socket in the cigarette lighter all the time.

Mines under the arm rest now, so totally invisible anyway

NinjaDinosaur

​Thanks for the advice, looks like a great little camera. Like s … ​Thanks for the advice, looks like a great little camera. Like samwants2save mentions, would you recommend having the Mobïus hardwired?

I didn't, I just concelaedthe cable and ran it to 12v.

Plus I set settings so it auto recorded when it had a live feed and stopped five minutes after losing a live feed.

esar

Don't take this the wrong way, but don't forget these cameras run on 5 … Don't take this the wrong way, but don't forget these cameras run on 5 volt USB and not 12-14 volt car power, meaning you'll have to take apart and solder to the circuit board inside the cigarette lighter plug end.

hahaha!

elitom

er no ....either a dedicated cigarette lighter plug to mini USB lead or a … er no ....either a dedicated cigarette lighter plug to mini USB lead or a normal mini USB lead and a USB cigarette lighter plug will suffice - simpleEliTom

You can buy a fuse adapter that plugs in to your fuse box and 2x fuse plugs(one for the plug you use and one for the cable running off it) in to that. boom done. all you have 2 do is connect a wire up.

E.G this is a 20amp one.
amazon.co.uk/Add…146

Edited by: "djmackie2000" 5th Feb 2016

ChrisUK

The easiest way to hardwire something like this (which is also the safest … The easiest way to hardwire something like this (which is also the safest option as you retain all standard equipment & fuses), is to wire a 12v multi adapter to the cars electrics (making sure to earth it !).For exampleYou can then just plug any 12v devices into the sockets (behind the dash where you can remove things quite easily is the best option). I did this a few years ago, but really no need if you're not too bothered about the socket in the cigarette lighter all the time.Mines under the arm rest now, so totally invisible anyway

I am sure everyone man has changed a fuse before. so why not buy one of these
amazon.co.uk/Add…146

My dashcam paid for itself in it's first week. A rock 'jumped' off an aggregates lorry and smashed my windscreen. Haulage company viewed the video I had and sent me my insurance excess without argument.

It's highly recommended to get a hi-res/HD camera so things like rocks can be seen and traced back.

Original Poster

ChrisUK

Decided on the mobius, ordered from banggood also. Thanks for all your help

Remember to set the camera to flip the recordings 180 degrees in the settings as the camera sits upside down in the car when suction mounted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions