Expired

Dash-Cam Opinions

Found 9th Aug
Hi all

I have been considering getting a dash-cam and am struggling to decide whether to get a budget cam or cough up over £100 for a higher end model. Just wondering what your experiences are with them? As well as any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
21 Comments
We have the Nextbase 412. We got it from John Lewis on a price match with Halfords. It paid for itself in the first month when we hit a pot hole and needed a new wheel. Council paid in full on being given the dash cam footage.
windym1 m ago

We have the Nextbase 412. We got it from John Lewis on a price match with …We have the Nextbase 412. We got it from John Lewis on a price match with Halfords. It paid for itself in the first month when we hit a pot hole and needed a new wheel. Council paid in full on being given the dash cam footage.

Funny enough that’s the one I’m looking at getting appreciate your thoughts.
I've got this one mate - bundle is decent from Halfords here given you get the SD card as well

just a few quid extra if you want it installed

hotukdeals.com/dea…063
I’ve got both the nextbase 402g (now no longer sold) which I’ve had for years and still works like new which I’ve fitted on the rear of the car now and more recently (last year got the) the 512gw for the front. I can say that it’s worth paying the extra, most of the cheap cameras are fine during the day and even at the dead of night but the low light between day and night (sunrise/sunset) the cheaper cameras do not record well at all but the nextbase are brilliant. Nextbase are solid cameras if treated ok (that aside I’ve dropped mine a few times and they still work fine). I highly recommend the hardwire kit which you can buy and fit yourself it’s worth the extra investment and you can hide the wires in the front pillar and roof fairly easy on most cars and piggyback onto a fuse in the fuse box (normally near the glove box in most cars). Most of the new models have anti glare also which makes a bit of difference!
The £40 Yi Dashcam is great quality, simple to use and amazing value and I don't see many complaints on here about it, it's been posted on HUKD many times generating lots of heat

amazon.co.uk/YI-…69G

I
Uridium19 m ago

The £40 Yi Dashcam is great quality, simple to use and amazing value and I …The £40 Yi Dashcam is great quality, simple to use and amazing value and I don't see many complaints on here about it, it's been posted on HUKD many times generating lots of heathttps://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69GI

Totally agree, I have the YI, superb recording quality, easy to use and set up and an app to download footage. Just remember to buy it on offer as you will need to buy an SD card with it. No issues so far and very happy
al1merf16 m ago

Totally agree, I have the YI, superb recording quality, easy to use and …Totally agree, I have the YI, superb recording quality, easy to use and set up and an app to download footage. Just remember to buy it on offer as you will need to buy an SD card with it. No issues so far and very happy

Its currently £27.87! at Yi Global store on ebay..
ebay.co.uk/itm…701
Nextbase 412 owner here, happy with it
get the Yi, great bit of kit
You don't need to spend much to get decent footage, here's a video from a four year old (genuine) 1080p dashcam that cost under £30 from china.

I have had a few of the Chinese G1W models over the years. They cost around $50 delivered. Picture is great but build quality sucks and even although they work, the one I still have has a broken chassis and the dash mount no longer sticks.

I've had a Nextbase 212 but the picture quality on that is dire compared to the cheap Chinese cam. I've recently ordered the Viofo A119 V2 with a GPS module and anti glare filter for circa $95/£73. Check dashcamtalk as well as YouTube reviews as there are much better cams than Nextbase for much less albeit warranty wise you'll need to return back to China
Torn between the yi and the nextbase 412 now
andy1861862 m ago

Torn between the yi and the nextbase 412 now

Isn't there about £70 difference ? Be an easy choice for me....
Uridium1 m ago

Isn't there about £70 difference ? Be an easy choice for me....

Good point. I like the fact the nextbase has GPS and has your current speed on the screen. This could come in handy.
andy18618615 m ago

Good point. I like the fact the nextbase has GPS and has your current …Good point. I like the fact the nextbase has GPS and has your current speed on the screen. This could come in handy.

current speed is a double-edged sword - if you're even slightly over the posted limit it could invalidate your insurance and automatically make you liable for any accident!
andy18618625 m ago

Good point. I like the fact the nextbase has GPS and has your current …Good point. I like the fact the nextbase has GPS and has your current speed on the screen. This could come in handy.

And that was the clincher with our claim on the council. It not only high-lighted the location of the pot hole but showed we were not doing a ridiculous speed. I have no idea if we would have won without the additional evidence.
andy18618625 m ago

The YI Cam also has a wider 165 degree viewing angle compared to the 140 degree on the Nextbase 412
Edited by: "Uridium" 9th Aug
thenormalone1 h, 2 m ago

I have had a few of the Chinese G1W models over the years. They cost …I have had a few of the Chinese G1W models over the years. They cost around $50 delivered. Picture is great but build quality sucks and even although they work, the one I still have has a broken chassis and the dash mount no longer sticks.I've had a Nextbase 212 but the picture quality on that is dire compared to the cheap Chinese cam. I've recently ordered the Viofo A119 V2 with a GPS module and anti glare filter for circa $95/£73. Check dashcamtalk as well as YouTube reviews as there are much better cams than Nextbase for much less albeit warranty wise you'll need to return back to China

There were several chinese manufacturers that jumped on the "G1W" dashcam branding after the original got great reviews, build quality varied, some even substituted inferior chip sets, some that weren't even 1080p. It is an old model though and you need to make sure you are getting one with the original chipset, there are now probably better options at a similar price.

The 4 year old one I posted a video from is a G1W-H (black with no chrome rings so less noticeable through the windscreen), battery needed replacing after 3 years (cost under £2 - required soldering), there are capacitor versions but they loose settings if the capacitor goes flat. The windscreen mount broke last year due to sunlight deteriorating a clear bit of the plastic that attached the sucker, a replacement mount was well under £1 on ebay.com, although I glued the original and that is still in use.
windym1 h, 0 m ago

And that was the clincher with our claim on the council. It not only …And that was the clincher with our claim on the council. It not only high-lighted the location of the pot hole but showed we were not doing a ridiculous speed. I have no idea if we would have won without the additional evidence.

This alone is reason enough to pay the extra
Uridium1 h, 1 m ago

The YI Cam also has a wider 165 degree viewing angle compared to the 140 …The YI Cam also has a wider 165 degree viewing angle compared to the 140 degree on the Nextbase 412

Still think the nextbase is the way to go. GPS really seems a valid addition
I have the YI 1080p camera. It's fantastic. And it's own WiFi network to download clips to your mobile.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants