Dash cam recommendations

Posted 1st Dec
I might’ve held out too long this weekend for the best deal, but I’m looking for a dash cam and was hoping someone could recommend a reasonable one. I know the Yi ones get reasonable reviews for the money, any others anyone has experience with?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
I've had this one since April, still going strong
amazon.co.uk/Ama…EYM
You'll need an extra item(s) item as it's just under £20 suggestion below
Pro tip
Get 2 cards designed for the rigorous demands of recording video, then if you want some footage to post on Facebook, you can just swap out the card
Anything by gear best.
Ideally front and rear facing
Drive Pro 200 and 520, although not the most discreet they have been faultless. Twice they have made making insurance claims clear cut cases. I also have several different Nextbase and have no reason not to recommend them too ranging from the 112 to the 512gw.
I have a Yi and I think it works fine. I have no idea because I havent had to check it yet (fortunately). I probably shoudl format the card to rid it of the emergncy recordings it will have acquired.

Just bought a new car and have bought a Nextbase 422 with the separate rear camera wired in. £170 from Halfords + £50 to fit it properly. Got a steering wheel lock worth £35 for free. There are some places where we park that will mean my sleep is easier with that in place on a new car given the liberal attitudes towards the people who steal things.
I would just like to add that when viewing footage it can make a big difference on what you use to play it on. When using my wife's laptop through a big screen tv the quality in terms of smoothness from frame to frame and what you can read is far superior than using my tablet.
I was going to recommend the one I have but its no longer available, its one built into a rear view mirror that clips over your existing mirror and has a rear camera too,paid about £30 and the footage blew me away with how clear its is and smooth for the money with reg numbers easy to read, even after channel 4 the sneaky gits managed to nab it and broadcast it.

Compressed an converted to gif
39227729.jpg

Or dailymail.co.uk/new…tml may need to adjust resolution settings on their player.
Edited by: "harlzter" 2nd Dec
esar01/12/2019 23:32

I've had this one since April, still going …I've had this one since April, still going stronghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Amacam-AM-C60-HD1080P-Supports-Technical/dp/B018SRQEYMYou'll need an extra item(s) item as it's just under £20 suggestion belowPro tipGet 2 cards designed for the rigorous demands of recording video, then if you want some footage to post on Facebook, you can just swap out the card

Get one with WiFi (as Yi cameras tend to have, like mine) and you don't even need to take the card out of the camera and traipse to your laptop; you can just download clips straight to your phone.
I have a Garmin one with the power hard wired into the fuse box with the cable completely hidden. I chose Garmin over others as it has speed camera and traffic light camera warnings. But I don't think Garmin have the absolute best video quality.
terriclarkfan02/12/2019 17:22

Get one with WiFi (as Yi cameras tend to have, like mine) and you don't …Get one with WiFi (as Yi cameras tend to have, like mine) and you don't even need to take the card out of the camera and traipse to your laptop; you can just download clips straight to your phone.

Tried that, but found sitting there for 10 minutes for a 2 minute clip got old.
Maybe the more expensive ones are faster, anybody got any stats?
esar02/12/2019 17:59

Tried that, but found sitting there for 10 minutes for a 2 minute clip got …Tried that, but found sitting there for 10 minutes for a 2 minute clip got old.Maybe the more expensive ones are faster, anybody got any stats?

Admittedly it's not fast, but shouldn't be more than a couple of minutes for a full video. My Yi lets you select start and end points for the clip you want, rather than transferring the full video. Still beats taking the card out, going to the pc etc etc for me, but YMMV.
terriclarkfan02/12/2019 18:12

Admittedly it's not fast, but shouldn't be more than a couple of minutes …Admittedly it's not fast, but shouldn't be more than a couple of minutes for a full video. My Yi lets you select start and end points for the clip you want, rather than transferring the full video. Still beats taking the card out, going to the pc etc etc for me, but YMMV.

What model number is your yi?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants