Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Dash Cams

Posted 12th Nov
I'm looking to get a new dash cam, I'm trying to find out if there are any dash cams that don't require to be powered via the cigarette port / battery.

Obviously there's cons to taking the camera out the car to charge, I just don't want any cables having to be ran out of it and partially hidden.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
You can get them hard wired by piggy backing a fuse.
Most cars allow you to pop open the side panels at the edge of your windscreen which you feed the wire down so you won't see any cables then.
There are some dashcam apps for phones about which you could use with a suitable mount
Best off to have it powered via cigarette port/piggy back off another fuse as then you won't have to keep bothering with turning it on/off all the time. You can attach behind/side of the rear view mirror so it's fairly out of view/harder to notice from outside, and tuck the wire between roof lining, down the passenger A pillar, then back under the glove box. Took me 5/10mins max to do mine. Just use a small blunt piece of plastic to tuck the wire away between the panels and car body (a bank card is pretty useful for this).
Recording video is very power hungry, you could get an action cam or maybe look into helmet cams.
What puts you off about hiding a cable?
esar12/11/2019 16:21

Recording video is very power hungry, you could get an action cam or maybe …Recording video is very power hungry, you could get an action cam or maybe look into helmet cams.What puts you off about hiding a cable?

Nah, recording video takes little power; displaying video will take comparatively more. The issue OP will have is finding a mount to securely hold cam plus chunky powerpack sufficient for longer journeys.
As nobody on HUKD seems to want to embrace the concept of a completely self-powered removable option: if your motor has a (switched) live to a front rooflining-mounted accessory you could piggyback from that without need to hide any cables inside a windscreen pillar.
AndyRoyd12/11/2019 16:38

Nah, recording video takes little power; displaying video will take …Nah, recording video takes little power; displaying video will take comparatively more. The issue OP will have is finding a mount to securely hold cam plus chunky powerpack sufficient for longer journeys.

All I can say is that I googled the battery life for a action cam and it said 90 minutes!
I was thinking, why the op doesn't like wires, maybe he's got a soft top?
AndyRoyd12/11/2019 16:45

As nobody on HUKD seems to want to embrace the concept of a completely …As nobody on HUKD seems to want to embrace the concept of a completely self-powered removable option: if your motor has a (switched) live to a front rooflining-mounted accessory you could piggyback from that without need to hide any cables inside a windscreen pillar.

I hid mine behind the courtesy light cowling!
The Mobius camera was quite popular as a dashcam, and I believe the internal battery lasts over an hour.
It's an old model though, so you'd need to read up on if the current versions also have decent hardware.

A car windscreen in summer is not a good location for a battery..

You'd be better off hiding the wires to a capacitor backed up dashcam.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Nov
melted12/11/2019 19:39

The Mobius camera was quite popular as a dashcam, and I believe the …The Mobius camera was quite popular as a dashcam, and I believe the internal battery lasts over an hour. It's an old model though, so you'd need to read up on if the current versions also have decent hardware.A car windscreen in summer is not a good location for a battery..[Video] You'd be better off hiding the wires to a capacitor backed up dashcam.

After more research, it looks like a battery in a very hot car is a no no. I'm going to look further into getting a pro to hide the wire
It does not take a pro to hide a wire it’s very very easy requires no tools and takes just a few minutes to install. YouTube has loads of videos showing how to do it
If you're not happy around a cars fuse box, there are obd port power supplies too
amazon.co.uk/REA…-16
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants