Dashcam question

Found 24th Sep 2017
Hi

There's been a spate of vandalism and antisocial behaviour in my area recently which leads me to wanting to purchase a dash cam.

I was wondering if you can get cams that film both front and rear aswell as having park mode, so can record when the car is off.
Being that the mindless vandalism happens when the car is unattended the park mode is a must.

I would appreciate any suggestions. There seems to be a lot on the market and I don't know where to start! Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

No you'll need two cameras front and rear with motion detect

Original Poster

tallpete334 m ago

No you'll need two cameras front and rear with motion detect

When searching for rear car camera I can only seem to find rear parking cameras 🤔

Some of the top spec cameras have a rear facing camera that you zoom out towards the back window. However its probably cheaper to buy 2 cheaper dash cams and fit one in the rear window. Parking mode will only start recording on a impact to the car such as a car reversing into it etc. Someone scratching the car i wouldn't say would cause them to record

Original Poster

woo8217 m ago

Some of the top spec cameras have a rear facing camera that you zoom out …Some of the top spec cameras have a rear facing camera that you zoom out towards the back window. However its probably cheaper to buy 2 cheaper dash cams and fit one in the rear window. Parking mode will only start recording on a impact to the car such as a car reversing into it etc. Someone scratching the car i wouldn't say would cause them to record

Damn, they're not that sensitive then huh? Not sure what else to do. I live in flats so park in a car park which isn't covered by CCTV 😞. It's a nightly occurrence aswell, will only be a matter of time before they hit my car park. 15 cars with their windows smashed in last night and counting... increased car thefts and there's talk they're using a fob to gain entry to the cars. It's pretty worrying!

If you over look the carpark then maybe setup a CCTv camera yourself.

Original Poster

woo8227 m ago

If you over look the carpark then maybe setup a CCTv camera yourself.

I don't unfortunately

Now let me put myself into a thief position...
I brake into a car....
I spot a dash camera....

option 1. leave the car and get recorded on the video
option 2. unplug the camera and take it with me...

ohhh the difficult decission

I had that same problem...

I went for the vava dash cam, x2 on kickstarter.. still being sent out to me so I haven't tried it but people who have received their order said it's great.

Unfortunately you can't get it on kickstart anymore.. but it's on Indiegogo but obviously slightly higher price but features are great imo check it out..

kickstarter.com/pro…ead

rhiannonexplicit3 h, 41 m ago

When searching for rear car camera I can only seem to find rear parking …When searching for rear car camera I can only seem to find rear parking cameras 🤔

Any dash cam can be fitted on the front or rear but you will need two charging points obviously unless you hard wire them to your battery

Original Poster

mattsk9 h, 16 m ago

Now let me put myself into a thief position...I brake into a car....I spot …Now let me put myself into a thief position...I brake into a car....I spot a dash camera....option 1. leave the car and get recorded on the videooption 2. unplug the camera and take it with me...ohhh the difficult decission

I appreciate your sarcasm. It's really helpful. But it's not just car thefts that are occurring. It's mindless vandalism too, if you care to read the original post. Some of them are not being broken into, and just the outsides damaged. Great input though, well done. Oh.. and it's break* decision*

Original Poster

oliverkennedy107 h, 20 m ago

I had that same problem...I went for the vava dash cam, x2 on …I had that same problem...I went for the vava dash cam, x2 on kickstarter.. still being sent out to me so I haven't tried it but people who have received their order said it's great.Unfortunately you can't get it on kickstart anymore.. but it's on Indiegogo but obviously slightly higher price but features are great imo check it out..https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2130897358/the-vava-dash-cam-capture-the-road-ahead

I'll have a look, thank you!

rhiannonexplicit51 m ago

I appreciate your sarcasm. It's really helpful. But it's not just car …I appreciate your sarcasm. It's really helpful. But it's not just car thefts that are occurring. It's mindless vandalism too, if you care to read the original post. Some of them are not being broken into, and just the outsides damaged. Great input though, well done. Oh.. and it's break* decision*

It wasnt sarcasm.... I just like to highlight stupidity and lack of logical thinking.... but if you dont like my comment maybe Techmoan guy will convince you

Also dash cam will not record on the side of the car (unless you have cameras situated there as well)....
you have few people walking next to your car even if you catch them at the back/front can you prove without reasonable doubt that it was a specific person who damaged your car? can you prove that it was this group of individuals and not someone who walked past 2hrs later?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants