Dashcam recommendations?

Posted 25th Aug
Not sure what I should be looking for, would like to keep to £100 mark if poss.
Any suggestions appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Parking mode
WiFi
Mobile app compatible
Nextbase are pretty good. I got one for around £60 and am very happy with it
I've got 2 Nextbase both brilliant, I've heard people with issues but I guess you'll get that with any product, always duff ones. Had my 412gw for quite a few years now still going strong that's 1440p resolution
I’ve got a nexbase 522gw brilliant piece of kit
You can buy whatever brand you want from a £30 from Aldi or a £50 one from china on Amazon. Either way you’ll eventually end up with a Nextbase one and wish you purchased it at the beginning.
ArcadeAssassin25/08/2020 09:27

You can buy whatever brand you want from a £30 from Aldi or a £50 one from …You can buy whatever brand you want from a £30 from Aldi or a £50 one from china on Amazon. Either way you’ll eventually end up with a Nextbase one and wish you purchased it at the beginning.

I've had a Yi dashcam for the past couple of years, and no complaints. No intention of going anywhere near a Nextbase one, thanks.
alg25/08/2020 09:44

I've had a Yi dashcam for the past couple of years, and no complaints. No …I've had a Yi dashcam for the past couple of years, and no complaints. No intention of going anywhere near a Nextbase one, thanks.

I have 2 installed in 2 different cars and have been more than happy with them.
Viofo A119 v3 with GPS for about £99 on Amazon.
Capacitors instead of batteries so no overheating to worry about.
Can be easily unclipped from the GPS unit to transport / hide camera part.
Edited by: "Enoch_Powell" 25th Aug
ArcadeAssassin25/08/2020 09:27

You can buy whatever brand you want from a £30 from Aldi or a £50 one from …You can buy whatever brand you want from a £30 from Aldi or a £50 one from china on Amazon. Either way you’ll eventually end up with a Nextbase one and wish you purchased it at the beginning.

What a strange statement, I have a viofo dashcam that I've had no problems with whatsoever half the price of nextbase and twice the quality of video from what I've seen of friends nextbase models!
i have a blue sky sea, love it amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1 was only £50 when i bought it a year and a half ago though
AdventureDeals25/08/2020 01:22

Nextbase are pretty good. I got one for around £60 and am very happy with …Nextbase are pretty good. I got one for around £60 and am very happy with it

And do you reboot it every month as Nextbase will tell you when you complain the accident was not captured?

Don't touch Nextbase. When you need the footage, it may well not be there are they will happily tell you its your problem, not theirs.

Yi via Amazon at around £25. EXCELLENT
I got a Maisi M60 from eBay
ccnp25/08/2020 10:13

And do you reboot it every month as Nextbase will tell you when you …And do you reboot it every month as Nextbase will tell you when you complain the accident was not captured?Don't touch Nextbase. When you need the footage, it may well not be there are they will happily tell you its your problem, not theirs.Yi via Amazon at around £25. EXCELLENT

Oh wow I don’t reboot it every month.
Does anyone have experience paying to get a dashcam installed?

What sort of money are you talking - not Halfords, I mean buying something like the Viofo and getting someone out to install it.

I'd have no real concerns doing it myself but I've not pulled trim off a car in over 20 years, don't really want to mess with air bags in the A pillars and, provided you aren't talking as much as the camera was in the first place, I'd be happy to pay someone else who has the experience and tools to do it properly.

Just about to start a job that will involve a much increased commute with lots of motorway driving, I think a Dashcam might be a good investment beforehand!

And do you reboot it every month as Nextbase will tell you when you …And do you reboot it every month as Nextbase will tell you when you complain the accident was not captured?

Surely you mean 'reformat the SD card every month'? The dashcam gets rebooted every time you switch off the engine, unless you have it wired for 'always on'.
(BTW, I've never reformatted the card and I've never had a problem capturing footage - I guess I'm the lucky one.)
Stephen.Hughes25/08/2020 14:02

Does anyone have experience paying to get a dashcam installed?What sort of …Does anyone have experience paying to get a dashcam installed?What sort of money are you talking - not Halfords, I mean buying something like the Viofo and getting someone out to install it.I'd have no real concerns doing it myself but I've not pulled trim off a car in over 20 years, don't really want to mess with air bags in the A pillars and, provided you aren't talking as much as the camera was in the first place, I'd be happy to pay someone else who has the experience and tools to do it properly.Just about to start a job that will involve a much increased commute with lots of motorway driving, I think a Dashcam might be a good investment beforehand!

There's no need to pull off trim. You can tuck/push the wire under the roof lining to get it across the windscreen to the side of the car. Take the wire across the top of the A pillar trim (where it meets the roof trim) - don't put it in the A pillar trim as you risk turning your dash cam in to a missile if the air bag goes off. Then run the wire down under the rubber door seal trim (not the rubber seal on the door itself, but the rubber seal where the door closes). Then you can route the wire under/behind/through the dashboard, depending on how permanent a solution you're intending to use.

..Yi via Amazon at around £25. EXCELLENT

Do you have a link please?
Thank you
cis_groupie25/08/2020 14:14

There's no need to pull off trim....

I should say I've also got one eye on wiring it in properly. Electrics don't worry me but someone with experience will know where to tap in to while I'd have to do some digging and probing with a meter.

One big question I've got regardless is where I mount it - I've got a Volvo V40 which has a large camera module behind the mirror for the obstacle detection system so it would have to go one side or the other of that which isn't ideal in terms of positioning.

I was actually considering the A129 with the rear view / parking function as the V40 has terrible rear visibility, however I'd guess the camera screen won't be in a very good position for this.
Stephen.Hughes25/08/2020 14:50

I should say I've also got one eye on wiring it in properly. Electrics …I should say I've also got one eye on wiring it in properly. Electrics don't worry me but someone with experience will know where to tap in to while I'd have to do some digging and probing with a meter.One big question I've got regardless is where I mount it - I've got a Volvo V40 which has a large camera module behind the mirror for the obstacle detection system so it would have to go one side or the other of that which isn't ideal in terms of positioning.I was actually considering the A129 with the rear view / parking function as the V40 has terrible rear visibility, however I'd guess the camera screen won't be in a very good position for this.

The dash cam should be able to sit to one side of the mirror & still be able to cover the whole of the front view. I use a Nextbase with a plug-in rear camera, so although the camera is offset to one side the rear camera is close enough to the rear view mirror to give a good line of sight to the rear. It's always worth checking that the dashcam will be positioned in a good place before actually fitting it, just in case you have to rethink things.
My dashcam is hard wired into the fuse box that's behind the glove box - I piggy-backed on to the rear window wiper fuse, which is 'live' only when the ignition is on so there's no drain on the battery. For my wife's car the fuse box is below the steering wheel - I had to piggy-back on to the heated front seats fuse (because the rear wiper fuse was in too awkward a place for piggy-backing.) I bought the hard wiring kits when I bought the dashcams. Check to see where the fusebox is, then look in the car manual or look online for the fuse box layout diagram & a suitable fuse that you can piggy back onto. The earthing point should be easy enough to sort out - there's plenty of suitable points to choose from.
Stephen.Hughes25/08/2020 14:50

I should say I've also got one eye on wiring it in properly. Electrics …I should say I've also got one eye on wiring it in properly. Electrics don't worry me but someone with experience will know where to tap in to while I'd have to do some digging and probing with a meter.One big question I've got regardless is where I mount it - I've got a Volvo V40 which has a large camera module behind the mirror for the obstacle detection system so it would have to go one side or the other of that which isn't ideal in terms of positioning.I was actually considering the A129 with the rear view / parking function as the V40 has terrible rear visibility, however I'd guess the camera screen won't be in a very good position for this.

My focus also has a large plastic bit in the middle of the windscreen. I got Halfords to wire in my dash cam front and rear and it’s wired into the glove box fuse box. No wires no fuss
Edited by: "ndyanem" 25th Aug
Dyslexic_Dog25/08/2020 09:53

What a strange statement, I have a viofo dashcam that I've had no …What a strange statement, I have a viofo dashcam that I've had no problems with whatsoever half the price of nextbase and twice the quality of video from what I've seen of friends nextbase models!

Totally agree, I've got a Viofo and it is defo better than any Nextbase I have seen and I've seen many as I've installed loads.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 25th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text