Dashcam recommendations needed please

Edited by:"gsj87"Found 1st Dec 2017
I have not gotta clue what to look for in a dashcam, so does anyone have any recommendations please? My requirements below;
1) Good quality video (atleast 720p)
2) Good brand/mid range priced
3) Can leave it on at night when the car is off and parked on the drive
4) Small and discreet
5) Sufficient memory capacity to record for a while
Thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

Original Poster

Bump

Donot buy generic, only go for branded.
I've been using Cobra 825 for over 2 years, no issue at all. Got refurb for £45. It works better with 8gb or 16gb card. Overnight usage will leave you with flat battery. 720p with 120' angle is fine.

It uses loop recording/overwrites older files, so 8gb card does the job

We've got a Goodmans Scout, its small, square shaped and works well. It can be set to record overnight but, as already posted, could flatten the battery.

There are so many cams on the market , depends how much you want to spend and if you want one with gps at stated go for a branded cam I have a NextBase 512 but not everyone wants to pay over £100 but its does a gps and superb quality if your looking one with a parking mode then the DDPia plus is a very good one
Edited by: "iscom" 2nd Dec 2017

I had the nextbase 420g, it’s been fantastic, I’ve now put this on the back of the car and bought a nextbase 512gw, again fantastic.

Great day time recording, low light recording and records in 2k or 1080p @ 60fps.

I'm quite liking my Aukey DR02 - amazon.co.uk/Cam…J1/. Is quite discrete. If you want front and rear cameras - amazon.co.uk/Cam…XJ/

If you want it always on, or for the motion detector to kick in when the car is off and record based on that, that'll just come down to how you wire it into your car. Mine connects to a power socket that is only live when the car is on. You'll need to hard wire to your battery or consider a 'UPS' such as this one, but they don't come cheap - amazon.co.uk/Cel…88/
Edited by: "morgie" 2nd Dec 2017

Contrary to what some have been saying - Don't go for next base cams, they are utter garbage and won't be good for what your wanting anyway - they have a 32gb memory card limit which isn't ideal for 24/7 recording, and next base cams freeze when used for continuous recording, and don't have a replaceable battery either.

Go for the yi dash cam or a mobius action cam. Both are excellent and should do what you ask.
Check a YouTube channel reviewer called techmoan - he does lots of dash and reviews

I've had a Gmini 0608 from memory (the model that is) and it' great as in its discreet and the filming is excellent, however it's far from simple to use.
I had a Drivepro 200 all round excellent now upgraded to the Drivepro 520 as it was on an offer at a stupidly low price, and the 200 is now in the wifes car.
I just bought Nextbase 512g not the later gw model as it is on offer at Argos for £99.99 to go in my weekend toy car. No idea how good it is but reviews seemed got and easy to set up.

Picked up the "Yi" dashcam for the Mrs last month from Amazon for £35. It's really great quality, has built in Wifi so I can just download/watch the recordings on my phone etc, when my one gives up, if it ever does I shall definitely be replacing it with one of these. Fantastic little thing.

Check out Techmoans review of it here -

benjammin3162nd Dec

Picked up the "Yi" dashcam for the Mrs last month from Amazon for £35. …Picked up the "Yi" dashcam for the Mrs last month from Amazon for £35. It's really great quality, has built in Wifi so I can just download/watch the recordings on my phone etc, when my one gives up, if it ever does I shall definitely be replacing it with one of these. Fantastic little thing.Check out Techmoans review of it here - [Video]

It's on at £29.99 on Amazon at the moment (using the code).

hoojie7 h, 6 m ago

It's on at £29.99 on Amazon at the moment (using the code).

Thanks, picked up the new model using £40 off code. Runs out today so cheers for the reply
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions