Dashcam thefts?

Found 20th MarEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Is it fairly safe to leave a dashcam permanently set up in the windscreen or is there a risk of theft? would like to keep mine permanently set up ready to go but don't want a broken window if they are often stolen from cars. From what I can tell let people seem to leave them permanently set up.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Norseg3 h, 46 m ago

If someone is going to steal your £30 Chinese camera than so I feel sorry …If someone is going to steal your £30 Chinese camera than so I feel sorry for themTimes must be tough to risk spending 20yrs in Prison for a Cheap Dashcam which has little resale value

If they can get 5 or 10 pounds towards a bag of smack, then they will nick it regardless.
Norseg5 h, 15 m ago

If someone is going to steal your £30 Chinese camera than so I feel sorry …If someone is going to steal your £30 Chinese camera than so I feel sorry for themTimes must be tough to risk spending 20yrs in Prison for a Cheap Dashcam which has little resale value

20 years in prison, more like a conditional discharge....
19 Comments
I leave mine on the windscreen, so when I start the car Im ready to go, if I took it down I would forget to put it back up therefore being of no use to me in an accident.
Check ebay to see what the market is like for second hand dash cams? Don't people buy £30 Chinese cameras that wouldn't be that attractive second hand?
Mobius is a good discrete dashcam, it’s not easy to spot it depending on your windscreen.
If someone is going to steal your £30 Chinese camera than so I feel sorry for them

Times must be tough to risk spending 20yrs in Prison for a Cheap Dashcam which has little resale value
Edited by: "Norseg" 20th Mar
Norseg3 h, 46 m ago

If they can get 5 or 10 pounds towards a bag of smack, then they will nick it regardless.
funnily enough someone did get in to one of our cars a few months back had 2 dashcams in it one on the windscreen and one on the floor and a wireless charger they didn't take they took coins, radio keys service book first aid kit few other things so I'd say no unless you have a nextbase 120+ one
Why do you think no one will smash your window and not steal it? Unless you park right in your driveway right till end or you park in a garage.
In manchester they have smashed 100s of car windows to steal sat nav SD cards from the Nissan juke and the other models. Luckily I don't live down that area
Norseg5 h, 15 m ago

20 years in prison, more like a conditional discharge....
Folks leave cars unlocked at night with gangs going up streets looking for cars to lift items from. Seen footage and a mates car got done. Seen the video of 2 men just going around trying car doors at 3.30am
could you not have it set up so you can remove the dashcam once you leave the car? and then just re-attach upon returning?
sohailh198427 m ago

could you not have it set up so you can remove the dashcam once you leave …could you not have it set up so you can remove the dashcam once you leave the car? and then just re-attach upon returning?

Of course, my nextbase is a 2second job, do I bother.....no, unless car is somewhere overnight dodgy
Edited by: "snoopy18" 20th Mar
I could
sohailh198456 m ago

could you not have it set up so you can remove the dashcam once you leave …could you not have it set up so you can remove the dashcam once you leave the car? and then just re-attach upon returning?

Yes I could remove each time but just thinking convenience, mine is a nextbase dash cam 212 version, Guess it is a case of removing in high risk area to be on the safe side.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 20th Mar
StoneColdJaneAusten6 h, 42 m ago

If they can get 5 or 10 pounds towards a bag of smack, then they will nick …If they can get 5 or 10 pounds towards a bag of smack, then they will nick it regardless.

Yep, its all drugs related, people complain about local crime, but don't think anything about supporting their local dealer.
wayners4 h, 0 m ago

Folks leave cars unlocked at night with gangs going up streets looking for …Folks leave cars unlocked at night with gangs going up streets looking for cars to lift items from. Seen footage and a mates car got done. Seen the video of 2 men just going around trying car doors at 3.30am

Had that on our estate, I've had a car for over 20yrs, not once left it unlocked, can't believe people are stupid enough to leave their car unlocked at all. i'm beginning to wonder if there is a new way to remote unlock some cars, its only a certain frequency.

I know they have a booster for these new keyless cars (wouldn't buy a car with that)

metro.co.uk/201…44/
A neighbours car window was open while away on holiday. Another neighbour had spotted and we be both taped it up at no way to close.. That's common people leaving windows open, I've done that and got a wet xxx... also patio doors can be unlocked all winter. Who ever checks them? Got my shed done that was locked but when I tested it for myself as I though it had been picked a gentle pull and catch unlocked itself! I had never tried to see how strong it was. And those key safes by front doors should be banned. 20 seconds and your in as simple to crack. Car steering lock holds up crooks for about 20 seconds.. It's a nightmare current security generally
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Mar
wayners4 h, 42 m ago

A neighbours car window was open while away on holiday. Another neighbour …A neighbours car window was open while away on holiday. Another neighbour had spotted and we be both taped it up at no way to close.. That's common people leaving windows open, I've done that and got a wet xxx... also patio doors can be unlocked all winter. Who ever checks them? Got my shed done that was locked but when I tested it for myself as I though it had been picked a gentle pull and catch unlocked itself! I had never tried to see how strong it was. And those key safes by front doors should be banned. 20 seconds and your in as simple to crack. Car steering lock holds up crooks for about 20 seconds.. It's a nightmare current security generally

Have no idea that statement. Cars have never been more secure ever. This would be why how cars are stolen has totally changed, more or less the tactics now all are around getting hold of your keys (or the key signal), this in itself has lead to more highjackings and violent thefts. If I leave my car unlocked, it'll lock itself after x mins, if I leave a window down, it'll put the window up after x mins or the wind would set off the internal ultra-sonics and the alarm will go off, when I drive off once I hit over x speed it'll lock itself. Not even starting on the secuirty around being able to start the car. Upon saying all of that, if someone wants your car whatever the car, they will get it somehow.

Daft story I fell foul of the security myself. Had parked my car outside my Uncle's house, partner was in shop getting some shopping, he had arrvied home and I got out of my car and started talking to him, for some daft unknown reason I took the keys out of the ignition and chucked them on the drivers seat. His dog kept trying to get into my car so I closed the door and kept talking. Then that moment just as you hear the car deadlocking itself, seeing the keys sitting on the drivers seat lol. Had to get him to give me a lift home to get the spare set.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 20th Mar
Getting off topic but you can see why folks want cameras up just to try catch crooks.. This youtube video has been doing the rounds on trade forums.. Ford vans.. Crap locks and easy to crack open.. watch
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Mar
Hope its not an issue as I have one that's built into a replacement rear view mirror and wired to a rear facing camera so records front and rear at same time, also aids when reversing, prior I was using a go-pro style camera that I tucked under the dash when parking up.
Remember if you leave anything of value in a vehicle even a hoodie or pair of shoes there will be someone who may want it and be happy to smash a window or break a lock to get it, let alone a camera which they can easily get a few quid for down the local boozer or cash converters. I always remove my camera when leaving the vehicle and it only takes a couple of seconds to put it back.

If it bothers you that much about taking it out of the car put it in a compartment in the car out of sight.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions