Dashcam update!....cops involved!

I asked the question no more than a few days ago...which dashcam should I get?....the wife was gonna get me one for Christmas. One of the members suggested I should be careful and just treat other road users as morons and give them a wide berth. After 25 years of driving I had my 1st accident tonight when some moron in a red VW Bora ploughed into the side of our car with my 2 daughters on board, then they put the boot down and disappeared before I could get their number plate, although they did speed past a police station about 50metres from the accident. If I'd had the dashcam, I may now have the number plate, instead of hoping the cops can get it off cctv. Please tell me your experiences of dashcams good and bad....The Transcend 200 is in the lead from previous post!

17 Comments

Original Poster

Most dashcams cover anything from 120-160 degrees of visiual field, so I'd like to think so!

Unfortunately i had same problem few years back. White Volvo hit me and run in streatham where was 2 street cameras. Police gave me a form to fill and after around a month got letter with information they couldn't identify a car and they can't do anything. From this time i use
dashcam. I don't remember my first dash cam as i sold with car but now from 2 years I use Mio MiVue 518 with 32GB microsd (paid around £50 in offer from Currys) and the records are fine to identify reg plate even in night. Never had any problem with it so i can recommend

Hello, Sorry to hear of the incident you were involved in. I do hope you and your family are all okay. I hope that the authorities are able to track down the idiot/moron that crashed into you. Just my personal thoughts on Dashcams are that I think that they are a good idea. I have been using one for a few years now and I have definitely noticed that when idiotic and moronic drivers see the dashcam that in most cases they somehow seem to learn how to drive again... It is reassurance that if something were to go wrong in the future and it was not your fault that you have video evidence to prove it was not your fault and to prove who was at fault. But this is subject to the party at fault having valid insurance etc and does not mean that your insurance will not be affected...

This also works the other way round that if you ARE at fault for an incident then you might be required to disclose the contents of your dashcam and it could be used against you. Just my thoughts and my own personal opinion. It is your decision to decide whether you wish to purchase a dashcam and then how and when to use it. Just remember that there are rules on how a dashcam can be used on UK roads (i.e. location on the windscreen etc.). I am sure the more senior and wiser members on HOTUKDEALS will have a lot more advice for your. Best regards. MO.

One of the most reviewed by a normal person techmoan Also has a lot of videos to check quality.

Buying guide

Auto Express

Finally any model you like the sound of, go on youtube and find a video someone uploaded. You can spend as little as £30 all the way upto £300.

I bought my dad the Transcend DrivePro 200 last year, perfect daytime, night shots can be hit and miss depending on local lighting. Hope some of the links help.

P.S. I hope you and your daughters are ok.
Edited by: "n00dles0up" 14th Dec 2016

Lorry crossed double whites and hit my car last year. Driver fully admitted liability at the roadside but then initially failed to respond to my insurance company's correspondence, then when he did he said it was my fault. I asked for my dashcam footage to be submitted directly to his insurance company and they accepted liability within an hour. Without the footage I'd probably still be arguing. The camera was aMini 0806 cost me £85 and paid for itself instantly. Highly recommend getting one whatever model you choose!

Original Poster

maktiger12

Hello, Sorry to hear of the incident you were involved in. I do hope you … Hello, Sorry to hear of the incident you were involved in. I do hope you and your family are all okay. I hope that the authorities are able to track down the idiot/moron that crashed into you. Just my personal thoughts on Dashcams are that I think that they are a good idea. I have been using one for a few years now and I have definitely noticed that when idiotic and moronic drivers see the dashcam that in most cases they somehow seem to learn how to drive again... It is reassurance that if something were to go wrong in the future and it was not your fault that you have video evidence to prove it was not your fault and to prove who was at fault. But this is subject to the party at fault having valid insurance etc and does not mean that your insurance will not be affected... This also works the other way round that if you ARE at fault for an incident then you might be required to disclose the contents of your dashcam and it could be used against you. Just my thoughts and my own personal opinion. It is your decision to decide whether you wish to purchase a dashcam and then how and when to use it. Just remember that there are rules on how a dashcam can be used on UK roads (i.e. location on the windscreen etc.). I am sure the more senior and wiser members on HOTUKDEALS will have a lot more advice for your. Best regards. MO.

Thankfully we're all ok, but my oldest girl hit her head hard, was very shaken and went into shock quickly, feels quite nauseous and her neck is a bit stiff, but should be ok. I'm a careful driver and can honestly say if I made a mistake and caused an accident, I'd be principled enough to hand my dashcam footage over, even without being asked. However, there are much less principled people out there and think nothing is their fault, which I often see when people cut me up or change lane without indicating causing other drivers to make avoiding manoeuvres, then 'gesture' at innocent parties should they dare to point out their mistake!

The new version of the wedge ( it's b40 refresh.) techmoan revised it and it looks excellent

I have a Drive pro 200. It nicely caught a guy reversing into me. His insurer agreed to pay up straight away all £650. I'm not saying this was 100% due to having one but it ensured there was no fault on my part. I have owned it 2 years and it has been faultless, it's easy to use however looks somewhat slightly old fashioned compared to the Gmini 0806.
I also have 2 Gmini one in the wife's car and one in the daughters. They're good but not straight forward to use, you will need to read the instructions and both of them I have to reformat the memory card in them about every 4 months, no idea why and although it only takes a few moments it's a pain.

Don't bother with a Transcend, mine keeps making protected blank files. Contacted Transcend and no response.
Having said that I have caught 3 people in 12 months that reversed into my car and I retrieved over £1k in repair costs from them.
Some people have them wired in in order that they shut off while you are parked, but that was when my car was hit, all 3 times.
Edited by: "Sambat" 15th Dec 2016

Hope you and your girls are ok!

Hope you are all ok.

My whole family have a dash cam each, all different to each other's but all work fine. My brothers paid for his when a car pulled out on him in a car park and then the other driver that admitted fault there and then decided to give false details. Brother phoned his insurance sorted out the footage and police also got involved due to him giving false details. But all got sorted in the end.

But would definitely recommend having one sooner rather than later.

Blackvue for me
Yes the cost more but slim, discrete and great day /night footage.

caoimhin58

Thankfully we're all ok, but my oldest girl hit her head hard, was very … Thankfully we're all ok, but my oldest girl hit her head hard, was very shaken and went into shock quickly, feels quite nauseous and her neck is a bit stiff, but should be ok. I'm a careful driver and can honestly say if I made a mistake and caused an accident, I'd be principled enough to hand my dashcam footage over, even without being asked. However, there are much less principled people out there and think nothing is their fault, which I often see when people cut me up or change lane without indicating causing other drivers to make avoiding manoeuvres, then 'gesture' at innocent parties should they dare to point out their mistake!

Hi, I am glad to hear that you're all okay. Below is a link to the device (E-PRANCE New G1W Novatek 2.7" Car Dash Camera Driving Recorder) (plus a detailed Review) that I've been using for a while now. Its currently unavailable but it should give you an idea on specs and functionality. I have found it functions quite well during the day and night. It comes back on sale every so often but gets sold out quickly but perhaps you could use the specs as a guide to help you purchase a dashcam for yourself.

amazon.co.uk/PRA…uct

amazon.co.uk/rev…_rv

Please find below some information on UK law and regulations on mounting a Dashcam on the windscreen, which you might find useful.

suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk/

theroadtrafficlawyer.com/das…sk/

Hope the above helps.

Kind regards.

MO.

Original Poster

Guys...I really can't thank you all for your messages and support. I'm waiting to get my car back from garage, then I'll start looking at then in the flesh. Still like Transcend for now.

I bought a mostfeel mobile phone holder from Amazon for £7 and use a freeapp called autoboy blackbox to use my mobile as a dash cam. works really well and certainly better than a cheap dash cam. its also possible after starting to turn off the video camera screen and use as hands free or not that ive tried I should imagine google maps.

Have looked into dashcam before, and eventually got confused on which one to buy and forgot about it. Transcend, mini, mobius were top of the list, might be worth looking into again. Has to be two cameras front and back, and able to film when the car is parked, and not overly sensitive to lock files on bumps. Appreciate any ideas

I think size of the camera is important, otherwise risk getting the car broken i to for the camera itself...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    2. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    3. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?913

See more discussions