Data gathering on social media - How concerned are you?

Found 22nd Mar
With the pernicious practices of some well- known companies being exposed recently, are you in favour of greater regulation, or should the internet continue broadly as it currently does?

With so many people currently happy to eschew any notion of privacy, would any action now be futile, or should measures be taken to try and better protect those users who choose to essentially post their entire life online on a daily basis? I have never seen the attraction myself, but know that it is an important part of a lot of people's lives. But looking beyond our own preferences, should we seek a better, safer, and maybe less superficial platform for younger and future generations, who will grow up not knowing anything different from the prevailing environment? An environment that is an open door to data gathering which could be exploited in all manner of ways in the future. We can encourage our own children to have a sensible approach, but more widely, a pressure for conformity will continue to exist from peers unless some form of universal change is introduced.

This is hopefully an important societal question, one which can easily be discussed in an apolitical and respectful manner.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
Facebook has always been a cesspit of humanity, I’m surprised that hundreds of millions of people worldwide flock to that cesspit every day.
Edited by: "Deadpooled" 22nd Mar
There's a word for those who put their lives on social media, but to avoid offence, I'll just call them idiots.
31 Comments
Facebook has always been a cesspit of humanity, I’m surprised that hundreds of millions of people worldwide flock to that cesspit every day.
Edited by: "Deadpooled" 22nd Mar
Very.
Social media is great.
There's a word for those who put their lives on social media, but to avoid offence, I'll just call them idiots.
Only share what you're willing for others to see.

Personally, I couldn't care less, I've got nothing to hide, I wouldn't share anything I would be uncomfortable with.
I'm not really a big user of social media, i have a twitter and a facebook but i only use facebook to keep in touch with real life friends that have moved away or look for local services(removal companies etc).

I think if you want something kept private you shouldn't put it online, if it is online then you are happy to share it with anyone and everyone.

I also think younger people aren't as fussed about facebook as some middle aged people, my brother and sister who are 16 and 20 never use facebook at all. I think once your parents use something it is no longer the place to be.
Original Poster
CoeK35 m ago

I'm not really a big user of social media, i have a twitter and a facebook …I'm not really a big user of social media, i have a twitter and a facebook but i only use facebook to keep in touch with real life friends that have moved away or look for local services(removal companies etc).I think if you want something kept private you shouldn't put it online, if it is online then you are happy to share it with anyone and everyone.I also think younger people aren't as fussed about facebook as some middle aged people, my brother and sister who are 16 and 20 never use facebook at all. I think once your parents use something it is no longer the place to be.

Unfortunately it goes well beyond the company you primarily mention. Other big tech companies face scrutiny now the seal is broken.
Saturn25 m ago

Unfortunately it goes well beyond the company you primarily mention. Other …Unfortunately it goes well beyond the company you primarily mention. Other big tech companies face scrutiny now the seal is broken.

I was just using the most well known as an example. Regardless of what company you use there is a chance that things aren't private. The only thing I put online that i wouldn't want to be shared with anyone is banking information.
Original Poster
CoeK6 m ago

I was just using the most well known as an example. Regardless of what …I was just using the most well known as an example. Regardless of what company you use there is a chance that things aren't private. The only thing I put online that i wouldn't want to be shared with anyone is banking information.

I agree. My personal views on excessive use of social media would not be a surprise to those who know me, but interested within this thread to provide an opportunity to see if those who are more positive about it can articulate a counter perspective.
Saturn4 m ago

I agree. My personal views on excessive use of social media would not be a …I agree. My personal views on excessive use of social media would not be a surprise to those who know me, but interested within this thread to provide an opportunity to see if those who are more positive about it can articulate a counter perspective.

Don't get me wrong i am positive about information about me being available in some cases.

For example google knows a lot about me, it has to in order for it to advertise things i actually care about and to tell me when i have appointments etc.
Original Poster
CoeK5 m ago

Don't get me wrong i am positive about information about me being …Don't get me wrong i am positive about information about me being available in some cases. For example google knows a lot about me, it has to in order for it to advertise things i actually care about and to tell me when i have appointments etc.

I was going to add 'surreptitious' to the title about data gathering, but didn't want to put any individuals off the thread before reading.
Saturn1 m ago

I was going to add 'surreptitious' to the title about data gathering, but …I was going to add 'surreptitious' to the title about data gathering, but didn't want to put any individuals off the thread before reading.

Because they wouldn't know the meaning of surreptitious?
I posted a warning about the practice of the misuse of personal data provided to social media channels very early in the ongoing dedicated ("official") thread regarding the HotUKDeals WhatsApp group.

My comment was removed.

I posted it again.

My comment was removed again & I received an infraction.
I'm not really concerned about what I post. I am more concerned about what they track. If I recall correctly, Facebook even tracks people who don't have Facebook accounts via adverts. It seems to be fairly unavoidable these days, if you want to use the internet without it being a complete chore. I care, but I only have so much energy.
Mozilla are running a petition about Facebook privacy:

foundation.mozilla.org/cam…ok/

Up to 50 million Facebook users had their information used by Cambridge Analytica, a private company, without their knowledge or consent. That’s not okay.

This wasn't a data breach, no one hacked into Facebook or stole passwords. It happened because Facebook allowed apps to access not just sensitive information of people who used those programs – but their friends as well.

Facebook said it’s taken steps to “limit developer access to detailed friend data”, but Facebook’s current default settings leave a lot of questions and a lot of data flying around. One thing is clear though: Facebook needs to step up and respect its users.

Reference: New York Times.
andy18618618 m ago

Get an actual life and get off social media. Great for storing pictures, …Get an actual life and get off social media. Great for storing pictures, memories and connecting with family and friends. But it’s just become a place for self indulgent idiots trying to pretend they have the perfect life by being ‘Facebook happy’ people need to look up and get off social media. It’s ridiculous. I’m in my 20’s and see it as the biggest waste of time. Arguments on it daily, relationships ruined, pointless attention seekers and most importantly missing out on the real world. I have two kids and the amount of parents at soft play and party events who are glued to phones just pointlessly scrolling the never ending online and have no idea what there kids are doing. It’s wrong. Jeremy Kyle certainly has made his career from Facebook arguments from people who live on the site. Rant over.

Maybe you need to get better friends?
MSK.1 h, 36 m ago

Mozilla are running a petition about Facebook …Mozilla are running a petition about Facebook privacy:https://foundation.mozilla.org/campaigns/facebook/Up to 50 million Facebook users had their information used by Cambridge Analytica, a private company, without their knowledge or consent. That’s not okay.This wasn't a data breach, no one hacked into Facebook or stole passwords. It happened because Facebook allowed apps to access not just sensitive information of people who used those programs – but their friends as well.Facebook said it’s taken steps to “limit developer access to detailed friend data”, but Facebook’s current default settings leave a lot of questions and a lot of data flying around. One thing is clear though: Facebook needs to step up and respect its users.Reference: New York Times.

Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp (with Jan Koum), is proposing something else:

[ theverge.com/201…app ]
fanpages8 m ago

Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp (with Jan Koum), is proposing …Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp (with Jan Koum), is proposing something else:[ https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17145200/brian-acton-delete-facebook-whatsapp ]

It's amusing me that's being said by the makers of a app I refuse to use, because it requires a phone number (not that o use Facebook either).

Nevermind about the other bit. Just saw it's quoted.
Edited by: "MSK." 22nd Mar
Tbh, I can't help but be a little underwhelmed by the whole story. I don't really do Facebook, but if I did, it would be on the basis that anything I posted could be seen by anyone. At the end of the day, surely that's the whole premise of social media? Information to be shared, self-promotion - isn't that really the whole point of it? Maybe you only wanted your 879 close friends to know that you had beans on toast for breakfast, and now that's being sold off to rival bean manufacturers as we speak. What's the upshot? More bean adverts and probably a promotional price war in your favour.
What really annoys me about stories like this is that people are outraged when the evil private entities like Facebook share their data - data which a) has already been shared with the world and b) you have given them the explicit right to share when agreeing to their TOS - yet when the government enacts something like RIP, a mass state surveillance program covering every single thing you do online, the sheep just come out with if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.
It’s been happening ever since these sites first came out, can we access your contacts? no. Next page you know everyone in your contacts.

I am not on any of them, wife on LinkedIn for work no access to contacts was flagged and I was sitting in a room in the US and someone at worked logged in and one of her recommended links was my wife. The only way it could have got the link is if it had access to both sides contacts and at least one side had said no, the other one had given acccess but hadn’t realise it could take her works email contacts on the laptop she was using even if she was logged in to another email client.

If they they can do that and you said no just imagine what else they are doing.
fanpages2 h, 10 m ago

Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp (with Jan Koum), is proposing …Brian Acton, the co-founder of WhatsApp (with Jan Koum), is proposing something else:[ https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17145200/brian-acton-delete-facebook-whatsapp ]

dailymail.co.uk/sci…tml

not everyone’s favourite but loads of info on what else you need to do rather than just deleting
fivegoldstars55 m ago

Tbh, I can't help but be a little underwhelmed by the whole story. I don't …Tbh, I can't help but be a little underwhelmed by the whole story. I don't really do Facebook, but if I did, it would be on the basis that anything I posted could be seen by anyone. At the end of the day, surely that's the whole premise of social media? Information to be shared, self-promotion - isn't that really the whole point of it? Maybe you only wanted your 879 close friends to know that you had beans on toast for breakfast, and now that's being sold off to rival bean manufacturers as we speak. What's the upshot? More bean adverts and probably a promotional price war in your favour.What really annoys me about stories like this is that people are outraged when the evil private entities like Facebook share their data - data which a) has already been shared with the world and b) you have given them the explicit right to share when agreeing to their TOS - yet when the government enacts something like RIP, a mass state surveillance program covering every single thing you do online, the sheep just come out with if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

I don't mind people reading what I write. It's all the underhanded skullduggery I don't like.
deeky17 m ago

I don't mind people reading what I write. It's all the underhanded …I don't mind people reading what I write. It's all the underhanded skullduggery I don't like.

Is that comment about Facebook or misc?
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 22nd Mar
fivegoldstars13 m ago

Is that comment about Facebook or misc?

I'm sure I don't know what you're on about
I made the decision long ago never to use social media, each day that passes reminds me of what a sound decision that was.
I avoid posting my thoughts about everything on the internet
CoeK11 h, 22 m ago

I'm not really a big user of social media, i have a twitter and a facebook …I'm not really a big user of social media, i have a twitter and a facebook but i only use facebook to keep in touch with real life friends that have moved away or look for local services(removal companies etc).I think if you want something kept private you shouldn't put it online, if it is online then you are happy to share it with anyone and everyone.I also think younger people aren't as fussed about facebook as some middle aged people, my brother and sister who are 16 and 20 never use facebook at all. I think once your parents use something it is no longer the place to be.

I think your kind of right kids are using snapchat whatsapp and others more than FB the reason i believe is its not splashed across a page parents can read. One of my kids is in high school and is always asking permission to download these apps. To which i refuse him the problem is he always finds another way recently it was office 365 messenger which the school set up for him. In a world of apps like this i worry a lot and have to keep reminding him its not safe and anything you write online is their forever.
deleted5795923rd Mar

They are collecting info of old people, show me a kid now that actually …They are collecting info of old people, show me a kid now that actually uses Facebook, its become the place for mums and dads to reminisce in nostalgia with old friends and check on their kids fake accounts.all the kids are sending eahc others nudz on snapchat.

I don't have a Facebook account but all my kids do.
fanpages5 h, 17 m ago

I don't have a Facebook account but all my kids do.

That's just to throw you off the scent of the real places they chat.
In general there is no avoiding your data being shared in our modern society. Its getting more like "Minority Report" every day, for those that think all is fine because they have nothing to hide, I would say, you have nothing to hide YET. Google tracks your every move, police are now using google to find out exactly who was in a certain area at a certain time.
How do you think Google Facebook and everything that's free on the Internet makes money, by trying to sell you something.
123thisisme23rd Mar

In general there is no avoiding your data being shared in our modern …In general there is no avoiding your data being shared in our modern society. Its getting more like "Minority Report" every day, for those that think all is fine because they have nothing to hide, I would say, you have nothing to hide YET. Google tracks your every move, police are now using google to find out exactly who was in a certain area at a certain time.

I don't think the tracked data predicts crimes before they occur... yet.

I presume you meant the delivery of bespoke advertisements based on retina scans as you pass digital billboards.

Even still, that is a long way away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants