Groups

Data Protection Act

Are public forums exempt for the DPA??

10 Comments

Original Poster

All data users must comply with the eight Data Protection Principles. The … All data users must comply with the eight Data Protection Principles. The Principles define how data can be legally processed. 'Processing' includes obtaining, recording, holding or storing information and carrying out any operations on the data, including adaptation, alteration, use, disclosure, transfer, erasure, and destruction. 1. Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully. 2. Personal data shall be held only for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or purposes. 3. Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which it is processed. 4. Personal data shall be accurate and where necessary kept up to date. 5. Personal data processed for any purpose shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose. 6. Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subject under the DPA. 7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of the data. 8. Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or a territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.

Im pretty sure everyone has to comply with the Data Protection Act, so id say YES.

Forums still have to comply. So if someone wants to leave and they ask for all posts to be deleted, they can use the Data Protection Act. In other words they can say they are no longer giving permission for said forum to keep details digitally. So all details would have to be deleted. If the forum owners refuse then its onto Web Hosts and so on.

Run a forum and i know of others who have had this issue. Data protection act still applies.

Banned

Staroffurby;5108395

Forums still have to comply. So if someone wants to leave and they ask … Forums still have to comply. So if someone wants to leave and they ask for all posts to be deleted, they can use the Data Protection Act. In other words they can say they are no longer giving permission for said forum to keep details digitally. So all details would have to be deleted. If the forum owners refuse then its onto Web Hosts and so on. Run a forum and i know of others who have had this issue. Data protection act still applies.

I know a few have tried this and this does not happen on here, whether they are legally ok to refuse or not i have no idea, but do know it dont happen here

I think anything you type on an open forum is free for public view, but you can delete your posts if you wish. Things that are kept on your profile are though, but remember you don't have to put in any genuine details anyway.

Original Poster

But if another member/mod/admin were to post a users name, address and phone numbers, is that legal or a breach of the DPA?

shanecr;5108579

But if another member/mod/admin were to post a users name, address and … But if another member/mod/admin were to post a users name, address and phone numbers, is that legal or a breach of the DPA?

Yes, your personal details are covered, but not your user name, unless its your real name. Thats why if you use your real name admin/mods will let you change it.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5108669

Yes, your personal details are covered, but not your user name, unless … Yes, your personal details are covered, but not your user name, unless its your real name. Thats why if you use your real name admin/mods will let you change it.

i only ask, on another forum i have noticed mods posting personal details of members who have obviously abused their trading board. Even tho it may seem fair and just, i still think its illegal but have no idea if it actually is and what can be done.

shanecr;5108911

i only ask, on another forum i have noticed mods posting personal details … i only ask, on another forum i have noticed mods posting personal details of members who have obviously abused their trading board. Even tho it may seem fair and just, i still think its illegal but have no idea if it actually is and what can be done.

Depends where the details have come from really. I.e. if you gave me your address and I posted it on this website, I would not be breaking the DPA in that exact scenario.

shanecr;5108911

i only ask, on another forum i have noticed mods posting personal details … i only ask, on another forum i have noticed mods posting personal details of members who have obviously abused their trading board. Even tho it may seem fair and just, i still think its illegal but have no idea if it actually is and what can be done.

If the mods are using details supplied for signing up to the forum then yes they are covered and the relevant person has a legal right to ask them to be removed. They can ask for the details to be removed from the site, however proving they have done so is all but impossible. Remember this wont apply to some forums which are hosted elsewhere round the world. (ie torrent forums hosted from Cuba for example)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4211876
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…24104
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764653
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals31411

See more discussions