Data SIM card for use in Canada and US

Found 28th May 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm travelling to Canada and the US this July and am wondering whether anyone here has any advice/experience in getting a SIM card to use over there. I'm not sure whether it is possible to get a sim-only (e.g. o2 simplicity), or prepaid (perhaps like GiffGaff) sim card and just stick it in my unlocked Galaxy S2? Ideally I just need a decent amount of data as I tend to rely on my phone when in the UK, and could hopefully use it as a mobile hotspot to avoid paying hotel wifi charges. Minutes/texts would be good too, but aren't exactly essential I guess. I'm there for 21 days in total, so whatever deal I get needs to cover me for at least that period.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
MiscCardDataSimUsUsa
20 Comments
Original Poster
I should probably add that ideally I'd like to have it ready to go when I get over there, so if anyone knows of a way to get it prior to arrival in Canada, that would be ideal.

Also, I'm not sure whether I'd need two different sims, i.e. one for Canada and one for US.
Just get a local sim when you go.

AT&T (Should be able to get a data prepay) for America...

Rogers / Telus for Canada...

Although I'm sure one of Rogers or Telus is CDMA so it's best to check.

I'm going straight to an AT&T store when I go to America next week.

Original Poster
I've read somewhere that not having a US billing address can cause problems when purchasing in store from the networks...
Edited by: "evilskanker" 28th May 2011
evilskanker

I've read somewhere that not having a US billing address can cause … I've read somewhere that not having a US billing address can cause problems when purchasing in store from the networks...

Prepay?
I've never heard of problems with that.

Give your hotel address.
Original Poster
Do you speak from experience t0mm, or is this just what you are planning on doing?
evilskanker

Do you speak from experience t0mm, or is this just what you are planning … Do you speak from experience t0mm, or is this just what you are planning on doing?

Not me from experience, it's what family members / friends have done and i'm just following in their footsteps.
Original Poster
Alright. Will bear that option in mind. Does you have any idea how much it costs to get prepaid data sims out there? It appears there are sites which can supply sims prior to travel. Anyone got any experience of that, or perhaps of buying through eBay?
evilskanker

Alright. Will bear that option in mind. Does you have any idea how much … Alright. Will bear that option in mind. Does you have any idea how much it costs to get prepaid data sims out there? It appears there are sites which can supply sims prior to travel. Anyone got any experience of that, or perhaps of buying through eBay?

Not off the top of my head but I'm not bothered.

I'm sure you can buy 2GB Data for I think its $25 in US. But don't quote me on it I'm not even sure how I think its $25 just think I've read it somewhere.

You're not going until July so if you PM me what you're looking for (package wise) I'll have a look in AT&T for you and ask for a price.
Original Poster
Thanks t0mm. I will probably take you up on that offer of having a look. Most appreciated.

If anyone else has any ideas/experience please let me know.

There is a SIM available on eBay for £60 which gives unlimited data, calls, and SMS (international as well as domestic) for a 30 day period. Not sure if that is a good deal. It could be if it would allow me to use the phone as a Wifi hotspot too.
Original Poster
It appears as though AT&T cards are available on eBay too which would ensure you knew your US number prior to travel, and you can also sort out the tariff before your trip.
Banned
I'd steer clear of fleabay
Original Poster
dimebars

I'd steer clear of fleabay

Any reason in particular? Bit of a useless comment otherwise. Seller has very good feedback.
ive never paid to use wireless in america, every single starbucks has free wifi there. every hotel ive stayed in has had free wifi too.

if im out and about i just use ANY of the many free wifi hotspots
I bought a ready registered sim card off ebay last time I visited - worked really well. Teamed it up with an international calling card bought at a newspaper stand for silly priced calls home.
Also, in the US:
In mid-January 2010, McDonald's restaurants became one of the nation's largest providers of free Wi-Fi Internet access. Free Internet access is available at 11,000 of the 13,000 U.S. locations. "Free" means what it says and no purchase is required.

Here are the steps to connect to McDonald's Wi-Fi.
Connect to the 'Wayport_Access' wireless network.
Browse to any web page. This takes you to the new McDonald's welcome page.
Click 'Free Connection'. Internet Explorer users, see note below.
Accept the terms of service on the next page by checking the box and clicking the 'Continue' button.
Finally, McDonald's Wi-Fi greets you and welcomes you to the Internet on the next page.
Original Poster
Thanks Xippi. I've ordered a Simple Mobile SIM from eBay and looking at paying $60 for 30 days of unlimited calls, texts and web. It's about £35, and I'll need to keep in contact with people over there anyway so it seems pretty good value.
Original Poster
Anyone else got any input? (Cheeky Sunday bump)
I bought a t-mobile sim for just over $100 and I got unlimited Internet, unlimited nationwide calls and texts and as an add on unlimited worldwide texts and unlimited calls to uk landlines.

Lasts one month. This includes the $24 I had to pay for the sim.
Original Poster
davelfc

I bought a t-mobile sim for just over $100 and I got unlimited Internet, … I bought a t-mobile sim for just over $100 and I got unlimited Internet, unlimited nationwide calls and texts and as an add on unlimited worldwide texts and unlimited calls to uk landlines.Lasts one month. This includes the $24 I had to pay for the sim.

Did you just buy it from a T-mobile shop over there? Did you have to give a US address or anything like that?
Edited by: "evilskanker" 29th May 2011
evilskanker

Did you just buy it from a T-mobile shop over there? Did you have to give … Did you just buy it from a T-mobile shop over there? Did you have to give a US address or anything like that?

I just walked into a t-mobile shop in Orlando and they sorted it without any ID. They activated it in the shop.

There are some decent ebay sellers in the USA that can provide cheap sims for you and a prepaid visa card (walmart) might be another way for you to go for topping up and data/talk plans.
evilskanker

Thanks Xippi. I've ordered a Simple Mobile SIM from eBay and looking at … Thanks Xippi. I've ordered a Simple Mobile SIM from eBay and looking at paying $60 for 30 days of unlimited calls, texts and web. It's about £35, and I'll need to keep in contact with people over there anyway so it seems pretty good value.

Hi there :-)

DId the Simple Mobile SIM work for you?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants