Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Data transfer from old S4 phone (with black screen) to new S10

Posted 9th Dec 2019
Hello,

I ordered a new phone which I'm receiving tomorrow and finally leaving the awful Three for (here's hoping for a better experience) O2.

My current phone is an old Samsung S4 which technically still works but the screen is black so I can't see or do anything. I'm receiving the S10 tomorrow and have a PAC code ready to use so I can keep my number.

Because of the black screen situation, using smart switch is not straightforward. I can turn on the phone and unlock it using findmymobile but that's pretty much it. When I've tried connecting it to my tablet using smart switch it wouldn't work with the data cable and I can't do it via wifi as I can't see the screen. I'm hoping the app will work with the new phone via data cable.

I don't have a laptop atm so can't use any data recovery programme.

Should I use the PAC code as soon as I get the new phone and worry about the data transfer later? Or should I try and find a way to transfer the phone data before I activate the PAC code?

If anyone can advise as to how to proceed or if anyone has dealt with black screens and data transfer, any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
If you connect it to a windows device and should recognise it as a storage device so you will be able to get all your data off their and then transfer it to your new phone. There may be a windows programme which will do it all for you. Or phone shops can do this sort of thing for you I think
jco8309/12/2019 18:01

If you connect it to a windows device and should recognise it as a storage …If you connect it to a windows device and should recognise it as a storage device so you will be able to get all your data off their and then transfer it to your new phone. There may be a windows programme which will do it all for you. Or phone shops can do this sort of thing for you I think

Thank you. I don't have a laptop and only have a Samsung tablet. Might try a phone shop if all fails.
lltrader.com/col…een - £19 including tools to replace the screen. It is stupidly easy to replace the screen on a S4.
I switched to a s10 when it launched and from what I remember all I had to do is plug the other phone into the s10 and it transferred everything without having to use any app on the old phone
BadMF09/12/2019 18:55

https://www.lltrader.com/collections/s4-1/products/galaxy-s4-i9505-lcd-screen - £19 including tools to replace the screen. It is stupidly easy to replace the screen on a S4.

Thanks for this. I did look into it a while back but my phone is so smashed than when I opened it up parts of the inside casing fell apart. Also, you need a heat gun which I don't have
Misly09/12/2019 22:53

I switched to a s10 when it launched and from what I remember all I had to …I switched to a s10 when it launched and from what I remember all I had to do is plug the other phone into the s10 and it transferred everything without having to use any app on the old phone

Thank you. That's helpful to know. Hoping it will work similarly with mine.
You really don’t need a heat gun, I’ve replaced so many of these screens I could probably do it in my sleep, a few screws, and use the plastic pry tool to remove the flex cable near the bottom of the home button and everything else lifts out.

I’ve never needed to use a heat gun as none of the parts need heating to remove.
Edited by: "BadMF" 10th Dec 2019
BadMF09/12/2019 18:55

https://www.lltrader.com/collections/s4-1/products/galaxy-s4-i9505-lcd-screen - £19 including tools to replace the screen. It is stupidly easy to replace the screen on a S4.

That would be a very poor quality lcd screen, not comparable to the original samoled screen. I bought a replacement s4 screen and and it was one of the poorest quality lcd screens I'd ever seen. Really poor
From the above website did you? I’ve bought plenty and couldn’t tell the difference side by side with a legit screen.

On ye go
jco8311/12/2019 00:00

That would be a very poor quality lcd screen, not comparable to the …That would be a very poor quality lcd screen, not comparable to the original samoled screen. I bought a replacement s4 screen and and it was one of the poorest quality lcd screens I'd ever seen. Really poor

When I looked at screen replacements a while back the original Amoled one was quite expensive. Not worth it for a completely smashed 7 year-old phone that can't be even be upgraded. It's also pot luck with these sellers. Quality varies enormously and you don't quite know what you're getting.
So, again you're waffling on about a product you never bought, never used and never seen?

What it's worth is entirely up to the OP to decide. I know if I had lots of emails/pictures/bookmarks I needed/wanted to keep from my old phone, then £19 is a steal. Can't even get a burger and a pint round my way for less than that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants