Groups

Data transfer speeds

Evening all
    I'm a bit concerned about data transfer speeds on my network but am not sure what is normal.
    I am transferring files from my laptop to a portable HDD via this method;
    Wireless laptop to netgear dg834v2 router>Acer Revo via homeplugs>external HDD via USB.
    I'm getting speeds of around 2MB per second and obviously large files are taking an age to transfer. Is this a normal speed or is my setup wrong somewhere?
    Thanks

6 Comments

Original Poster

dcx_badass

For wireless G I get about 2-4mb/s from my netbook (and the same with … For wireless G I get about 2-4mb/s from my netbook (and the same with wireless N from my desktop) to my xbox so it's about right. Wired 10-11mb/s. Wireless unfortunately sucks.

Ok thanks, is there anything I can do to improve this speed apart from not using wireless obviously!
    p.s. are you stalking me!!

Check the transfer speed of the laptop to the external hard drive, whatever that gets it is your max anyway. For example; I run a gigabit Ethernet at home but I always hit the ceiling of my hard drives long before my network is running at full whack.

Ultimately though, wireless is wireless, does exactly what it says on the tin. Wireless was never designed for performance, just for.. well, being wireless.
    Edited by: "PhearFactor" 26th Feb 2011

Banned

connect a cable from laptop to netgear dg834v2 just to see if speeds increases to 100mbps to verify it is the wireless aspect although 16mbps is very slow.

Original Poster

Ran a few tests and the results were interesting.
    The speed from laptop to revo over ethernet was around 8-9 MBps.
    From laptop to external hdd over usb was 20-25 MBps.
    From revo to external hdd over usb was 30-35 MBps.
    Do these results look okay, i'm not clued up on what speeds I should be expecting.

Banned

steadyeddie

Ran a few tests and the results were interesting.The speed from laptop to … Ran a few tests and the results were interesting.The speed from laptop to revo over ethernet was around 8-9 MBps.From laptop to external hdd over usb was 20-25 MBps.From revo to external hdd over usb was 30-35 MBps.Do these results look okay, i'm not clued up on what speeds I should be expecting.

MB = MegaBytes

so, fantastic speeds

try a little app called LAN Speed Test.

ive got my server connected via homeplugs. for lets say a 1gb file the windows dialog box shows 2.24mb/s. The LAN Speed Test will show you the read/write speed which will be higher than what windows dialog box shows. Think its the x8 rule. Somone may be able to clarify more.

I think this is a reasonable speed for homeplugs.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      2. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1881351
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382

See more discussions