Daughter been sick all night what should I give her to eat

Found 5th Feb 2012
Daughter woke up at 2am throwing up and has continued through the night but started dry heaving due to stomach being empty. So ive gave her a little water but when I do within 20 minutes its coming back up.

Im guessing its a 24 hour stomach bug thing.

Looking on google it says everywhere not to feed her, is this right as she is hungry as her belly is empty.

If I can feed her what the best thing to give her? Is porridge a good idea?

Anyone know if there are any stomach bugs going around?

Im going out to get soluble vitamin C as lots of people in forums said that would help others that have asked. is this a good thing to give her?

Missus wants to take her to doctors but I think its a little excessive and doctor wont really do anything apart from suggest rest it out or something

any help or suggestions would be great

I know its The Misk but there are many helpful people and people with children that's why I have asked here.
Community Updates
67 Comments
Great parenting skills....daughter dehydrating and you don't want a doctor involved (_;)
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/280x280/10153494.jpg
Edited by: "the_mongoose_man" 5th Feb 2012
nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

Call these people they should be able to help you out as they probably have dealt with similar cases before
YES deffo dont feed her if the water is staying down for 20mins thats great so plenty of water then tomorrow (if vomiting have stopped) start with dry toast, richtea biscuits (avoid dairy for a couple of days !!) gws little one
My daughter was like this the other night, started at 11pm and through the night, by morning she was ok, I just gave her some toast, then she had a normal dinner and she was ok.
Be careful...my son was like this at xmas...look up intussuscepted bowel. If she has stomach pain before heaving dont hesitate.
Call the doc, it's what they are there for. Kids are never the best at telling you the whole story , the doc may pick up on something else.
Noro virus is quite common this year, make sure she takes on water but not in big gulps or she'll just throw it back up again, an ice lolly (if she'll have one is perfect) other than that plenty of sips of water. You might be able to give her rehydration sachets if she's old enough but they're horrible so don't push it..

When she's ready to eat, she will... Small portions though, very bland stuff to start with...
choc1969

Great parenting skills....daughter dehydrating and you don't want a … Great parenting skills....daughter dehydrating and you don't want a doctor involved (_;)

I hate you
Best thing is to call NHS Direct... 0845 46 47.

Only thing is they can take their time calling you back. If you're really worried, call the doc. They get paid extra for working weekends, may as well make them earn it!
She isnt in pain or anything and she says she is fine she just really tired now and as said sick a little while after giving her a little drink
Just call NHS direct, they will advise whether she should see a Dr or not, ( if she's under 5, I would insist on seeing one ) keep pushing fluids, it doesn't matter if she brings it back up, she will at least absorb some of it
Hamonk

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/Call these people they should be able to help … http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/Call these people they should be able to help you out as they probably have dealt with similar cases before

Agree with this or phone the out of hours doctor.
If she's really hungry though, she'll eat.

http://izismile.com/img/img2/20091009/wtf_gifs_26.gif
Second the ice lolly will Replace lost sugars and also help rehydrate
mikefellows

AHHHHH! BURN MY EYES OUT NOW!
Flodd

Noro virus is quite common this year, make sure she takes on water but … Noro virus is quite common this year, make sure she takes on water but not in big gulps or she'll just throw it back up again, an ice lolly (if she'll have one is perfect) other than that plenty of sips of water. You might be able to give her rehydration sachets if she's old enough but they're horrible so don't push it..When she's ready to eat, she will... Small portions though, very bland stuff to start with...

Yeah this is what I thought

I have nephews and nieces that have been ill like this before and I remember the doctors saying its a case of waiting it out and if it gets worse call us and so on
wishihadadonkey

Just call NHS direct, they will advise whether she should see a Dr or … Just call NHS direct, they will advise whether she should see a Dr or not, ( if she's under 5, I would insist on seeing one ) keep pushing fluids, it doesn't matter if she brings it back up, she will at least absorb some of it

Shes 4
mikefellows

Is that Boris X)

Anyway be serious
how old is she?
my daughter is now 11, we've had a few bouts of this over the years, i find dry toast/plain biscuits good. still give her little sips of water tho, you can get dyoralite sachets from your chemist to replace her electrolites, just mix it with water. like someone else said, ice lollies are good, even though she is bringing liquids back up, she still needs them, even if its only for a little while til she brings it up again, if it dosent ease off in 24 hours i would see your gp. good luck! xxx
Dried toast (no butter) or rich tea biscuits to start with.

But you really should seek medical advice (assuming this isnt another bit of trolling.)
jellybaby22

My youngest has had something similar... I took her to docs to make sure … My youngest has had something similar... I took her to docs to make sure she wasn't dehydrated and they gave her sachets of stuff to mix with water ..can't remember the name.....told me to let her eat toast and plain foods but to stay away from dairy until she hadn't been sick or 24 hrs.....

prob Dioralyte

churchy, just ring nhs direct, with a child of that age I would always act on the side of caution, they will not mind, it's their job
Water in small amount on regular basis, sachets might help, and indian tea with all the herbs in works for me all the time if i have a stomach ache. Avoid citric juices or dairy
tinkerbell28

Small sips, keeping it down for twenty minutes is good. Drs if the child … Small sips, keeping it down for twenty minutes is good. Drs if the child is a bit older, so not a baby. Three-four onwards. It takes a good while for them to become dehydrated so it's not a huge concern. Especially if they are keeping water down for a short time.If she's talking etc, most drs Won't come out to dv as there isn't a lot they can do. They don't want to spread it and as long as they aren't dehydrated, limp, been going on for days, etcI feel for you I had this last week with FOUR kids as soon as one went, then the other etc. I had dr out twice though as my toddler was vomiting blood from dry heaving. Nasty.

Orrr sounds nasty

Going to get missus to call the NHS number just to be on safe side but I know they cant do anything but they might have some info or something

Cheers Hun
guv

Dried toast (no butter) or rich tea biscuits to start with.But you really … Dried toast (no butter) or rich tea biscuits to start with.But you really should seek medical advice (assuming this isnt another bit of trolling.)

As if id troll about this Guvner

going to call just to be safe, admitting to the missus I might have been wrong is the hardest part
jellybaby22

That's it.... Good luck getting them to drink it though.....tastes … That's it.... Good luck getting them to drink it though.....tastes bogging...The doc told me flat coke was as good as dioralyte.....don't know how true that is...but my youngest would drink that.....was the only thing she would drink tbh

Try a glass of lemonade, with a teaspoon of sugar mixed in. Flattens it, and soothes the stomach.
churchill

As if id troll about this Guvner going to call just to be safe, admitting … As if id troll about this Guvner going to call just to be safe, admitting to the missus I might have been wrong is the hardest part

Don't admit that you were wrong, just say it's to 'ease her worries'.
wishihadadonkey

prob Dioralytechurchy, just ring nhs direct, with a child of that age I … prob Dioralytechurchy, just ring nhs direct, with a child of that age I would always act on the side of caution, they will not mind, it's their job

Thats what im going to do cheers hun
churchill

Thats what im going to do cheers hun

excellent, I don't very often give professional advice on here, but when it's a child involved, I break my " idiot persona " and do x
simplex

Water in small amount on regular basis, sachets might help, and indian … Water in small amount on regular basis, sachets might help, and indian tea with all the herbs in works for me all the time if i have a stomach ache. Avoid citric juices or dairy

Not poluting her with all that foreign muck (_;)

Get back to the avatar thread where you belong
churchill

Not poluting her with all that foreign muck (_;)Get back to the avatar … Not poluting her with all that foreign muck (_;)Get back to the avatar thread where you belong

Lols
defo flat lemonade, i forgot about that!
To make her feel better you shouldn't eat anything either.

visit the chemist
I have that sometime lemonade with peppermint if no peppermint then salt
Your post suggests you are responsible and caring parents, some replies on here are from sad people, with nothing better to do with their time, than insulting worried parents. I think waiting it out with NHS direct is the first port of call, they will advise.

Our doctors have a notice up asking patients to ring in and not attend surgery if they think they have a bug of somekind.
phone either NHS direct or out of hours doctor (phone your GP's number you will either get a recorded message giving you a number to ring, or like our's you press a number to transfer the call). Especially important with young children as they get dehydrated very quickly. Get some rehydration sachets, they taste horrible but all my children will drink them if mixed into squash - again important for children as they lose the electrolytes very quickly (very small amounts of things like sodium and potassium), if you speak to a doctor they will almost certainly advise you to get some. In the past I've been advised to get full-fat lemonade and make flat by adding a teaspoon of sugar (watch out for the fizz up though), usually well tolerated and replaces fluid and some energy.
If she has any tenderness in her tummy it could be the sign of something more serious, for example appendicitis or bowel hernia/blockage and you need to insist on seeing a doctor (don't feel guilty - they don't do it for free!). With children you really can't be too careful as the don't always tell you the full story, if she doesn't appear to be getting over it, trust your instincts and call the doctor.

Once she feels like eating, give her whatever she fancies, within reason, and get her to drink as much flat lemonade and squash as you can. Water is a waste of effort as she needs to be replacing some of the calories that she has vomited and not consumed.

This is based on my experience of having 4 children, besides having the usual stomach bugs, the eldest one had salmonella at 3 years from a dodgy egg (some 23 years ago), my youngest had norovirus at 2 years (4 years ago). I've also had appendicitis and kidney stones - all of which were diagnosed by various doctors. I also work with adults with learning difficulties and we lost one of our residents to a bowel blockage because the doctor wouldn't refer him to hospital - the doctor was severely reprimanded at the inquest. We were all left feeling that we'd failed him, even though the inquest said we had done everything right. I thought about whether to tell you that or not, as it is a bit scaremongering. I just wanted to warn you to trust your instincts, we wish we had just called an ambulance, we would almost certainly have had a different outcome.

I hope she will soon be better.
whats with everyone having the scary biker frog thing as there picture
deleted265520
How the **** do you have a daughter? I didn't realise Miles was a woman...
Elvira my son was undiagnosed too..4 days local hospital and them telling me he had a bug.
Any chance that its not 'just a bug' dont delay. I know the chances are slim but we dont take chances with our LOs xx
Havince

whats with everyone having the scary biker frog thing as there picture

How dare you even question us.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants