Expired

Daughter scratched another car's rear bumper - repairs?

Found 13th MarEdited by:"Sophiasky"
My daughter is 18 and passed her test several months ago now. In January she was in a multi-storey car park and whilst parking accidently scratched another car's rear bumper which was metal (the car was about 5 years old). The other driver was not there, so my daughter left a note on the windscreen with her mobile number, etc on. She did not hear anything for about a week and then the owner said that they would clean the car and then see how bad it actually looked. Again, my daughter did not hear anything for around two weeks, so she thought that the owner had perhaps decided not to do anything about it. She then got a text through that the owner wanted the scratch repaired so my other daughter's father-in-law who does repairs and paint work on cars said he would do it for my daughter as cheaply as possible.

The owner then agreed to this, but then did not phone the father-in-law for three weeks plus. She has now contacted him and is demanding that whilst her car is being repaired, she wants to borrow a company car as although she works in my town, she travels 47 miles each way from her home address (the father-in-law does supply cars for when work is being done on the owner's).

I don't know why the owner is messing around so much as this has been going on for around two months now. She (the owner) has obviously not reported it to her insurance company or the police, something that I thought had to be done within 24 hours, so surely it is too late to go through those avenues? My daughter is at college (and has a part-time job) and is trying to finalise her assignments before she finishes colleges for good in a couple of months and is now finding the whole situation stressful. I personally think that the owner has since had more damage to her car and is now trying to make my daughter pay for it all. Due to how long the scratch was done (two months ago), can the owner take legal action to get my daughter to pay out for this now? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Graham197923 m ago

Then watch the police come calling.

Yes the police are very interested in a scratched bumper.
31 Comments
Well if you want to avoid going through the insurance I’d suggest you let them borrow a loan car.

Did your daughter take any photos of the car?
Did your daughter report the incident to her insurer? If not, check the policy to see if there is a specific requirement to report within a certain time. If she has exceeded this she may have no cover.
There is only a requirement to contact the police within 24 hrs if an accident has happened and you haven't been able to stop and exchange details. The requirement to inform insurer is different and is written in the policy. Just because the woman whose car was hit hasn't reported the damage/incident to her insurer doesn't stop her from pursuing your daughter for damages. There is a 6 year limit for damage claims and a 3 year limit for personal injury claims. Assuming that your daughter didn't take any photos of the damage she caused, there may well be some s+++++++G lawyer who might pick this up on a no win no fee basis, but it pretty much comes down to one persons word against another's, plus your daughters admission of the damage. Citizens Advice or your solicitor is the next contact.
Yes, my daughter has photos of the scratch. My daughter's insurance as a new driver was over a £1000. If she decides to go down the insurance route, do you have any idea as to how much her premium will go up a year because of this scratch - just wondering if we are talking about £300-£500 a year extra, or something a lot less or more than that? Thank you.
airbus3306 m ago

Did your daughter report the incident to her insurer? If not, check the …Did your daughter report the incident to her insurer? If not, check the policy to see if there is a specific requirement to report within a certain time. If she has exceeded this she may have no cover.There is only a requirement to contact the police within 24 hrs if an accident has happened and you haven't been able to stop and exchange details. The requirement to inform insurer is different and is written in the policy. Just because the woman whose car was hit hasn't reported the damage/incident to her insurer doesn't stop her from pursuing your daughter for damages. There is a 6 year limit for damage claims and a 3 year limit for personal injury claims. Assuming that your daughter didn't take any photos of the damage she caused, there may well be some s+++++++G lawyer who might pick this up on a no win no fee basis, but it pretty much comes down to one persons word against another's, plus your daughters admission of the damage. Citizens Advice or your solicitor is the next contact.

Just thinking about what you said about my daughter having to report the damages within a certain time to her insurance company - you said that if she has exceeded the time she may have no cover. Surely, as the woman owner has not reported the damages to her insurance cover, she would have no cover either - and no claim could be made?
I would say let them get a hire car since luckily for you he does hire cars, I do understand the stress part so in this case its easier to get it done and out of your life forever so your daughter can get on with things, a few hundred quid is nothing compared to your daughters stress/education.

I know this sounds terrible but next time just don't bother if its minor. I'm not saying it lightly... I'm one of those: park my car next to nobody in the corner far away from everyone in the supermarket car park. I need every scratch tended to and keep the car spotless. It's a nice car! I have to get my car patched up for all the door dings and bumper dings that most people cannot see (slight indents).
It appears so far everyone involved has behaved honestly - "done the right thing". Well done to your daughter for her honesty in leaving a note - respect!

It is very easy to get paranoid in situations like this and imagine various events - other damage etc. In reality the car owner has probably just been too busy to get around to getting the car repaired.

I think it is fair for a replacement car to be provided when the car is being repaired.

If you can get all this solved without resorting to Insurance companies as it is not just next year that your daughter will have to pay a premium - accidents have to be reported for 5 years!
Sophiasky13 m ago

Just thinking about what you said about my daughter having to report the …Just thinking about what you said about my daughter having to report the damages within a certain time to her insurance company - you said that if she has exceeded the time she may have no cover. Surely, as the woman owner has not reported the damages to her insurance cover, she would have no cover either - and no claim could be made?

No sorry, it doesn't work like that. Your daughter has a contract with her insurer. In that contract it will state the terms that she has to abide by to be held covered. Most insurers require that that you report any accident or incident that you are involved in, whether or not you (or anyone else) intend to make a claim. At the very least, this puts into place protection should anyone make a claim against you. Years ago you could make an agreement by the side of the road to sort it out without informing insurers. The risk involved in doing so today is greater because of the basic dishonesty of many other people, who will invent injuries, damage and even fictitious passengers, all helped along by the industry of no-win no-fee lawyers.Its a dodgy old world out there. You should check the documents and then inform the insurer, you can at least be shown to be acting in good faith.
Edited by: "airbus330" 13th Mar
Niz11 m ago

I would say let them get a hire car since luckily for you he does hire …I would say let them get a hire car since luckily for you he does hire cars, I do understand the stress part so in this case its easier to get it done and out of your life forever so your daughter can get on with things, a few hundred quid is nothing compared to your daughters stress/education.I know this sounds terrible but next time just don't bother if its minor. I'm not saying it lightly... I'm one of those: park my car next to nobody in the corner far away from everyone in the supermarket car park. I need every scratch tended to and keep the car spotless. It's a nice car! I have to get my car patched up for all the door dings and bumper dings that most people cannot see (slight indents).

The man who has said that he could help out with the repair does not actually supply hire cars. He has told my daughter that it is going to cost over £100 and due to work commitments, would need the car for 2-3 days. Just wondering, by the time you add up the cost of the repair, and a few days of car rental, if might possibly be cheaper for my daughter to go through her insurance company (I have no idea as to how much this incident would push up her premium though and that is the issue - which way would cost her less?). Also, just a bit worried that the woman will want to hire a top of the range car and not a basic one to get her to work and back - that could make things quite expensive.
Van19737 m ago

It appears so far everyone involved has behaved honestly - "done the right …It appears so far everyone involved has behaved honestly - "done the right thing". Well done to your daughter for her honesty in leaving a note - respect!It is very easy to get paranoid in situations like this and imagine various events - other damage etc. In reality the car owner has probably just been too busy to get around to getting the car repaired. I think it is fair for a replacement car to be provided when the car is being repaired. If you can get all this solved without resorting to Insurance companies as it is not just next year that your daughter will have to pay a premium - accidents have to be reported for 5 years!

As van says - it must be noted the person not in their car when damaged is going to be considered the innocent party and what is going on in their lives could be beyond chaotic.

Besides a choice of cheap hire car for the day(s) is another alternative to loan her your daughters car that day - the person in the trade doing repairs would surely know how to get hold of the 7 day free insurance from traders wouldn't he?

Edit: Days implies not a simple scratch
Edited by: "Bertz99" 13th Mar
Tell her to just drive away next time.
benjammin31611 m ago

Tell her to just drive away next time.

Sophiasky21 m ago

The man who has said that he could help out with the repair does not …The man who has said that he could help out with the repair does not actually supply hire cars. He has told my daughter that it is going to cost over £100 and due to work commitments, would need the car for 2-3 days. Just wondering, by the time you add up the cost of the repair, and a few days of car rental, if might possibly be cheaper for my daughter to go through her insurance company (I have no idea as to how much this incident would push up her premium though and that is the issue - which way would cost her less?). Also, just a bit worried that the woman will want to hire a top of the range car and not a basic one to get her to work and back - that could make things quite expensive.

It's still cheaper to go down the private route it will cost you for 5 years of increased going through insurance, you can put your details into comparethemarket.com use fake details and see how much it comes to with a claim and without. I would say your estimates are correct £1500 mark. I used to pay £2000 then with an accident I was getting £3000 quotes.

I say don't inform the insurance company. Even IF you deal with it privately AND inform your insurance company it will still increase your premium for the next 5 years since you have declared it, so don't inform them and it will be as if it never happened.
I understand your other daughters father in law has offered to do it as cheap as possible but have you considered a company such as "chips away" that come to you and carry out repair, if it was only a minor scratch. This way you could arrange for them to do the repair for the lady at a time convenient for her at her property without the need to provide hire car. This may work out the cheaper option.
Graham197923 m ago

I didn't realise cars had metal bumpers nowadays.
I thought they were all brittle plastic that broke if you "touched" something.

"When I were a lad"... bumpers were bumpers and multi-storey car parks were just fields
Why don't you call this lady and let her know that its causing stress for your daughter. End of the day your daughter was helpful by providing details so you should expect the same. I really feel sorry for her, i bet you wished she never passed
benjammin31647 m ago

Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)
Road Traffic Act 1988, s.170(4)
Effective from: 24 April 2017
Triable only summarily:
Maximum: Unlimited fine and/or 6 months
Offence range: Band A fine – 26 weeks’ custody
10 points endorsement

SO yes my little cupcake the police would be very interested. Think you just got owned.
benjammin31647 m ago

Thank you for all of the advice. My daughter has told me that she has a £400 voluntary excess on her insurance and doesn't really want to go down the insurance route due to her insurance increasing because of this. Lending her car to the woman for a few days is something that she doesn't want to do, especially as she has a black box in it. I've told her not to worry about contacting the woman at the moment and just to let her sort out the repair with the father-in-law (the woman has his number and has been speaking to him). 'smargetts' above mentioned Chips Away, but again don't know if this would be a cheaper option to hiring a car for a few days and paying in excess of £100 (closer to £150), so perhaps she can look into this.
Have you considered getting a quote from another Bodyshop one that offers "free" car hire. I had my bumper repaired and resprayed off the car with 2 days courtesy car for £525
Graham197914 h, 54 m ago

Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)Road Traffic Act 1988, …Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)Road Traffic Act 1988, s.170(4)Effective from: 24 April 2017Triable only summarily:Maximum: Unlimited fine and/or 6 monthsOffence range: Band A fine – 26 weeks’ custody10 points endorsementSO yes my little cupcake the police would be very interested. Think you just got owned.

The Police only have to be notified if anyone was injured.
Sophiasky22 h, 14 m ago

The man who has said that he could help out with the repair does not …The man who has said that he could help out with the repair does not actually supply hire cars. He has told my daughter that it is going to cost over £100 and due to work commitments, would need the car for 2-3 days. Just wondering, by the time you add up the cost of the repair, and a few days of car rental, if might possibly be cheaper for my daughter to go through her insurance company (I have no idea as to how much this incident would push up her premium though and that is the issue - which way would cost her less?). Also, just a bit worried that the woman will want to hire a top of the range car and not a basic one to get her to work and back - that could make things quite expensive.

I would say it will likely double her premium (1st year) as she’s a new driver with no no claims and with an accident on record it will make her a significant risk (by insurance standards). The claim will likely affect her premiums for 3-5 years depending on the insurer as you have to declare previous claims.
moob6 h, 55 m ago

The Police only have to be notified if anyone was injured.

Sh wouldn't know if anybody was injured because she would have driven off if you follow Ben's advice
Sophiasky22 h, 59 m ago

Thank you for all of the advice. My daughter has told me that she has a …Thank you for all of the advice. My daughter has told me that she has a £400 voluntary excess on her insurance and doesn't really want to go down the insurance route due to her insurance increasing because of this. Lending her car to the woman for a few days is something that she doesn't want to do, especially as she has a black box in it. I've told her not to worry about contacting the woman at the moment and just to let her sort out the repair with the father-in-law (the woman has his number and has been speaking to him). 'smargetts' above mentioned Chips Away, but again don't know if this would be a cheaper option to hiring a car for a few days and paying in excess of £100 (closer to £150), so perhaps she can look into this.

She wouldn't have to pay an excess as it would be the third party claiming against your daughter. The third party would have to pay an excess. However your daughter wouldn't gain any no claims and her next year's premium would sky rocket and be impacted for the next 5 years. If your daughter wanted to claim for damages on her own vehicle then she would be required to pay her excess.
Do not go through insurance. Offer her £75 and tell her to take it or leave it, explain its a fair amount and if she does report to her insurance, they likely won't be do anything as shes too late but WILL increase her premium just for reporting it.
She won't go through her insurance (probably can't now) unfortunately if she does she will have some evidence in the form of text messages from our daughter admitting to a scratch. I'd imagine saying you believe the damage has increased since the accident which is why you changed your mind on repairing it I think your safe. They would't take it to court on this.
You tired to be nice!
Graham197913th Mar

Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)Road Traffic Act 1988, …Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)Road Traffic Act 1988, s.170(4)Effective from: 24 April 2017Triable only summarily:Maximum: Unlimited fine and/or 6 monthsOffence range: Band A fine – 26 weeks’ custody10 points endorsementSO yes my little cupcake the police would be very interested. Think you just got owned.

Police definitely wouldn't be interested. I was involved in a hit and run with injury's and all they offered was to send me some paper work and a crime reference number..
Another occasion I had someone smash my rear window (this would be more similar all though more extreme than OP's case) police offered me another crime reference number! I even told them I had a very good idea who it was... they weren't interested.
Its not right but a scratched bumper would't be of any interest to them.
Graham197914th Mar

Sh wouldn't know if anybody was injured because she would have driven off …Sh wouldn't know if anybody was injured because she would have driven off if you follow Ben's advice

Stop being ridiculous.
moob4 h, 44 m ago

Stop being ridiculous.

In what way?
Graham197916th Mar

In what way?

How would anyone be injured if she hit a stationary car with no one in it?
moob1 h, 4 m ago

How would anyone be injured if she hit a stationary car with no one in it?

Should wouldn' know if she didn' get out a look would she my cupcake
Graham197922 h, 20 m ago

Should wouldn' know if she didn' get out a look would she my cupcake

ZzzzzZZZ
This has now been sorted out. The owner of the damaged car decided to look into getting the repair done herself, nearer home. She told my daughter that she had been quoted around £80 and asked if my daughter would pay her that amount. She also said that if it ended up being more than £80, not to worry as she would pay the extra herself. My daughter paid her £80, so hopefully that is the end of it. Thank you all for comments and suggestions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants