David Cameron: Brexit's turned out 'less badly than first thought' - BBC News

Found 24th Jan
bbc.co.uk/new…207

Quote:
"Brexit has "turned out less badly than we first thought", David Cameron has said.

The former prime minister was recorded at the World Economic Forum in Davos saying the Leave vote was "a mistake not a disaster".

Mr Cameron called the 2016 referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, campaigned to stay in and resigned after the Leave side won.

His apparently unguarded comments were highlighted by Channel 5 News.

"As I keep saying, it's a mistake not a disaster," he was heard saying in a conversation with steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal.

"It's turned out less badly than we first thought. But it's still going to be difficult." "

Meanwhile...

UK better placed to cope with Brexit than I thought, admits former Tory Treasury minister and leading Remainer - The Telegraph
telegraph.co.uk/pol…ry/

Quote:
"A former Tory Treasury minister who attacked the Government’s Brexit strategy as “mad” has admitted that Britain is better placed to cope with its withdrawal from the European Union than he previously thought.

Lord Jim O’Neill, who worked at the Treasury under George Osborne and quit the Government in September 2016, said stronger than expected global economic growth would likely result in improved prospects for the UK.

Asked if his optimistic forecasts showed that he had been too pessimistic about Brexit, the Remain supporter told the BBC: “I'm almost embarrassed to accept that it might sound like that."

"Because of course in principle I share the views of many that Brexit is a really weird thing for the UK to impose on itself from an economic perspective."

"And maybe this [better global growth] means the country's going to be able to cope with Brexit better than certainly somebody like me might have thought some time ago." "
Community Updates
Top comments
These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They will have no impact on global markets and opinion until we hear a similar view expressed by a much more knowledgeable and substantial figure.

@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals .
Finally, Another Brexit thread!.
We've not left yet.
Saturn1 h, 20 m ago

These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They …These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They will have no impact on global markets and opinion until we hear a similar view expressed by a much more knowledgeable and substantial figure.@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals .

"...less badly..." does not necessarily mean anywhere near a positive outcome; it is just not as bad as feared, but could still be catastrophic.

@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals (or anybody that hides being a secondary account) will probably find a different meaning though.
21 Comments
We've not left yet.
Finally, Another Brexit thread!.
"Worst PM since Frederick North"
-Paxman
These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They will have no impact on global markets and opinion until we hear a similar view expressed by a much more knowledgeable and substantial figure.

@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals .
Saturn8 m ago

These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They …These are merely the words of an ex-Prime Minister and Treasury peer. They will have no impact on global markets and opinion until we hear a similar view expressed by a much more knowledgeable and substantial figure.@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals .

33129254-kcNDK.jpg
Saturn1 h, 20 m ago

"...less badly..." does not necessarily mean anywhere near a positive outcome; it is just not as bad as feared, but could still be catastrophic.

@HotEnglishAndWelshDeals (or anybody that hides being a secondary account) will probably find a different meaning though.
The one percent are going to be okay, the rest are totally stuffed, but the one percent are going to be okay.
Only because he’s earning more money now then he did as PM
cwj38201 h, 4 m ago

Only because he’s earning more money now then he did as PM

Thats not difficult, salaries for PM and politicians is pretty shabby. Hence why we don't get any real talent in Westminster.
DKLS3 h, 38 m ago

Thats not difficult, salaries for PM and politicians is pretty shabby. …Thats not difficult, salaries for PM and politicians is pretty shabby. Hence why we don't get any real talent in Westminster.

72k plus expenses starting pay pretty shabby what planet are you on and then it’s a six figure salary for PM
Edited by: "cwj3820" 25th Jan
cwj382013 m ago

72k plus expenses starting pay pretty shabby what planet are you on and …72k plus expenses starting pay pretty shabby what planet are you on and then it’s a six figure salary for PM

Yes I would say that is a shabby salary for that particular role, a half decent project mgr could earn that with ease.
I’d love to live in your bubble as an ex soldier I was on less then a tenth of his salary (PM) and having to actually fight for my country
fanpages21 h, 50 m ago

..... @HotEnglishAndWelshDeals (or anybody that hides being a secondary …..... @HotEnglishAndWelshDeals (or anybody that hides being a secondary account) will probably find a different meaning though.

Uncharacteristic lack of response given his omnipresence, and love of a Brexit thread. Maybe struggling to get the wifi code in Davos.
cwj382017 h, 33 m ago

I’d love to live in your bubble as an ex soldier I was on less then a t …I’d love to live in your bubble as an ex soldier I was on less then a tenth of his salary (PM) and having to actually fight for my country

Thank you for your service.

I would agree that the salaries of our armed forces aren't nearly enough for the job you do and there is huge disparity across salaries for different roles, but we all make our career choices and my point still stands, if we want decent politicians, pay them properly.
Cameron is an idiot who thought he could put the Europe question to bed by calling a referendum. Unfortunately asking people a question that boiled down to whether they were happy or not after 6 years of austerity didn't go well.

Maybe if he had to do his own shopping he'd see how the cost of living for average people has increased whilst wages remain stagnant.

The true test comes when we see what deal we get regarding services.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals2 h, 49 m ago

Cameron is an idiot who thought he could put the Europe question to bed by …Cameron is an idiot who thought he could put the Europe question to bed by calling a referendum. Unfortunately asking people a question that boiled down to whether they were happy or not after 6 years of austerity didn't go well.Maybe if he had to do his own shopping he'd see how the cost of living for average people has increased whilst wages remain stagnant.The true test comes when we see what deal we get regarding services.

Early days after a unique shock to markets in 2016. Most wise people stated at the time that it required a period of circa 5 years before sensible outcomes could begin to be judged. Others have, unfortunately, continued to jump in with knee-jerk reactions to minor events on an almost daily basis. I agree that Cameron has got off very lightly when the blame has been handed out for the mess created, and the shocking lack of scoping and planning for the potential of an exit vote.

As for his comments in Davos, maybe he is encouraged by the stronger export and manufacturing figures, along with the strengthening pound and employment market. He may be even more heartened by the 2017 Q4 GDP figures just released. To think some people were predicting we would begin entry into negative output territory in March 2017. A recession will happen again at some point as they are cyclical, but it is good to see that the gloom and doom merchants have been proven wrong in the immediate aftermath of the vote.

Still early days as I said, but it will be reasonable to start using these figures for an interim review as we approach 2 years in Q2 in 2018.
DKLS4 h, 2 m ago

Thank you for your service.I would agree that the salaries of our armed …Thank you for your service.I would agree that the salaries of our armed forces aren't nearly enough for the job you do and there is huge disparity across salaries for different roles, but we all make our career choices and my point still stands, if we want decent politicians, pay them properly.

Yea agreed I made my choice which was to serve queen and country but if it wasn’t for the fact that we have a volunteer army then you may not have had the choice to go down your career choice as National service would be in place.There are good politicians out there doing a good job on a salary that they are privileged to earn.As Orson Wells once quoted

Good men sleep soundly in their beds at night,only because there are rough men willing to do violence on their behalf
Saturn25th Jan

Uncharacteristic lack of response given his omnipresence, and love of a …Uncharacteristic lack of response given his omnipresence, and love of a Brexit thread. Maybe struggling to get the wifi code in Davos.

You are a card Saturn,
After his latest digs about other members, their times and dates spent on hukd, he would be rather foolhardy to respond at holiday/family peak times or be as prolific as in the past.
I seem to remember he never liked answering your direct questions anyway, indeed I don't think he ever offered any good advice to anyone if it didn't involve a veiled insult.
shadey1227th Jan

..... I seem to remember he never liked answering your direct questions …..... I seem to remember he never liked answering your direct questions anyway, indeed I don't think he ever offered any good advice to anyone if it didn't involve a veiled insult.

Very true. I do hope that he can regain his confidence at some point in the future. He could have valid input if he dropped the vitriol.
cwj382026th Jan

but if it wasn’t for the fact that we have a volunteer army then you may n …but if it wasn’t for the fact that we have a volunteer army then you may not have had the choice to go down your career choice as National service would be in placenight,only because there are rough men willing to do violence on their behalf

Totally agree with your statement- people tend to forget that much of the EU has national service, and considering there is
soon to be an EU army I am guessing that could be implemented here in the UK if we were still part of their influence.
It would be very interesting to see how the young remainers ( as they would be the ones affected) reacted if that ever happened.....I have a mental image of our raw recruits having therapy for not being able to take selfies during basic
training...........
Alfsmum1 h, 55 m ago

Totally agree with your statement- people tend to forget that much of the …Totally agree with your statement- people tend to forget that much of the EU has national service, and considering there issoon to be an EU army I am guessing that could be implemented here in the UK if we were still part of their influence. It would be very interesting to see how the young remainers ( as they would be the ones affected) reacted if that ever happened.....I have a mental image of our raw recruits having therapy for not being able to take selfies during basictraining...........

Or what about if we did join the European army and the EU brought back national service across the board.I think I quite like that idea
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions