Groups

David James Starts Tonight

Green dropped (no pun intended), James in.

According to talksport sources within the england camp anyway .........

29 Comments

Skysports claiming Green starts, Heskey keeps his place.
    Take no notice.

i also seen it was green

It'll be Green for sure. He's not going to drop him for that one silly mistake.

Banned

The problem with keeping Green in the side is if he makes one more mistake like against the USA then everyone will say Capello was a fool for putting him back in. He has to have a flawless tournament now. Personally I wouldn't take that risk if I was Capello.

Banned

i thought he didnt announce to anyone until 2 hours before the game

he must have changed his set in stone tactics huh?

cant we have 1 thread about the 1 game?

Banned

Another football thread? My, aren't we being treated to some posting excellence today!

Hooray for multiple threads! Huzzah!

Banned

Babbabooey;8864693

It'll be Green for sure. He's not going to drop him for that one silly … It'll be Green for sure. He's not going to drop him for that one silly mistake.

If you don't drop a keeper after such a massive mistake when you have backups who are as good (if not better), when do you drop him?

And Sky are saying that it looks like James will takeover.:thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;8864805

If you don't drop a keeper after such a massive mistake when you have … If you don't drop a keeper after such a massive mistake when you have backups who are as good (if not better), when do you drop him?And Sky are saying that it looks like James will takeover.:thumbsup:

That's like saying you should drop anyone that misses a penalty.
    If you are going to drop everyone after 1 mistake then you would never be able to field a full team. Drop Beckham after he got sent off? Then he might never have got back in the team, and never scored that infamous free kick. Uh oh, And we're out of that tournament.

James was in goal for England biggest defeat back in 2005, and yet he's still in the squad - that doesn't make sense then either.

Banned

Babbabooey;8864901

That's like saying you should drop anyone that misses a penalty. If you … That's like saying you should drop anyone that misses a penalty. If you are going to drop everyone after 1 mistake then you would never be able to field a full team.

It's not like saying that - a top-class keeper more often than not spends most of his game doing nothing and it comes down to making a great save or just not messing up.

Now Green isn't a top-class keeper, but the competition for his place was pretty big so you can't ignore a black mark like this. It's the nature of football.

Babbabooey;8864901

That's like saying you should drop anyone that misses a penalty. If you … That's like saying you should drop anyone that misses a penalty. If you are going to drop everyone after 1 mistake then you would never be able to field a full team.

So when do you drop someone? After repeated mistakes? In the WC repeated mistakes of this magnitude will probably see us knocked out & Capello thoroughly lambasted by press and public alike. This was no misplaced penalty or pass, it was a save you or I would comfortably have made.

Personally I'd keep Green, we have to nurture our future keeprs not bury them.

Tonights formation / team is going to be interesting.

Original Poster

casparwhite;8864756

i thought he didnt announce to anyone until 2 hours before the gamehe … i thought he didnt announce to anyone until 2 hours before the gamehe must have changed his set in stone tactics huh?cant we have 1 thread about the 1 game?

If you look at the timings, both threads were posted at exactly the same time, i will consult my crystal ball next time before posting :thumbsup:

DJ1;8864796

Another football thread? My, aren't we being treated to some posting … Another football thread? My, aren't we being treated to some posting excellence today!Hooray for multiple threads! Huzzah!

As long as it keeps 'rap' free then it should be ok.

Rooney has to break his long none scoring streak tonight.

No goal for 9 months, not good enough.

Banned

greg_68;8864967

Personally I'd keep Green, we have to nurture our future keeprs not bury … Personally I'd keep Green, we have to nurture our future keeprs not bury them.Tonights formation / team is going to be interesting.

Green isn't the future of the England team. He isn't good enough. A good shotstopper yes, but that isn't enough at the top level. He isn't even that young anymore.

FilthAndFurry;8865000

Green isn't the future of the England team. He isn't good enough. A good … Green isn't the future of the England team. He isn't good enough. A good shotstopper yes, but that isn't enough at the top level. He isn't even that young anymore.

You'd prefer Calamity James?

Original Poster

Babbabooey;8865012

yes, 100 %.

FilthAndFurry;8865000

Green isn't the future of the England team. He isn't good enough. A good … Green isn't the future of the England team. He isn't good enough. A good shotstopper yes, but that isn't enough at the top level. He isn't even that young anymore.

I never said he was any good but he and Hart are undoubtedly Englands future (unless there are any other English young keepers in the background).

Crucify Green and where does that leave us if James retires after the World Cup.

Foster
    Robinson
    Carson......I don't think so. We are straight into the Euro's after this so we need 2 or 3 confident keepers the defence can gel with.

Banned

Babbabooey;8865012

Did you just make that up? I get it because there's a Doris Day film called Calamity Jane. Loved that film as a kid, singing The Deadwood Stage in the living room.

Oh, and yes. I'd prefer David James in goal for my club or country. Green is a decent shotstopper and very little else. He also seems to have bottle issues.

Original Poster

greg_68;8865048

I never said he was any good but he and Hart are undoubtedly Englands … I never said he was any good but he and Hart are undoubtedly Englands future (unless there are any other English young keepers in the background).Crucify Green and where does that leave us if James retires after the World Cup.FosterRobinsonCarson......I don't think so. We are straight into the Euro's after this so we need 2 or 3 confident keepers the defence can gel with.

Just like with hart, blues will turn ben foster into englands potential no 1 again ... :thumbsup:

Banned

greg_68;8865048

I never said he was any good but he and Hart are undoubtedly Englands … I never said he was any good but he and Hart are undoubtedly Englands future (unless there are any other English young keepers in the background).Crucify Green and where does that leave us if James retires after the World Cup.FosterRobinsonCarson......I don't think so. We are straight into the Euro's after this so we need 2 or 3 confident keepers the defence can gel with.

Green can still play back-up and maybe leave West Ham to gain some top-level experience.

But right now the most important thing for England are the next 2 games and then the knockout stages.

smithyp1;8865067

Just like with hart, blues will turn ben foster into englands potential … Just like with hart, blues will turn ben foster into englands potential no 1 again ... :thumbsup:

I hope you are right (and think you will be) we need confidence at the back no worry, plus all the focus will be on him tonight whereas it should be on us scoring.

Hope Green starts. I think everyone forgets David James' nickname.

All of our goalkeepers are capable of making one major mistake in the tournament. Green has made his and unlikely to do another like that for some while, James still has his to come.

Don't see why Joe Hart hasn't even had a look in, better than the pair of them. Young players seem to play with no fear and fully confident in their ability, its this reason that I really dont understand why Adam Johnson wasnt taken to South Africa.

Banned

mr.potato_head;8865107

Hope Green starts. I think everyone forgets David James' nickname.

Yeah.....Jesse James because he was a cowboy and he shoots people, and he's got a brother called Frank.

But if you mention Robert Ford around him:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Hart, could just have easily made that error too.

greg_68;8865141

Hart, could just have easily made that error too.

They all could have.

Green has made his big mistake, it is much more unlikely he will make another big mistake than David James will make his first.

Green deserves a second chance and as we are only playing Algeria, this is the perfect chance to give it to him.

FilthAndFurry;8865138

Yeah.....Jesse James because he was a cowboy and he shoots people, and … Yeah.....Jesse James because he was a cowboy and he shoots people, and he's got a brother called Frank.But if you mention Robert Ford around him:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Apologies, just need to check.

Was this meant to be funny?

Banned

mr.potato_head;8865253

They all could have.Green has made his big mistake, it is much more … They all could have.Green has made his big mistake, it is much more unlikely he will make another big mistake than David James will make his first.Green deserves a second chance and as we are only playing Algeria, this is the perfect chance to give it to him.

And that's why Massimo Taibi is the greatest keeper United ever had:thumbsup:

mr.potato_head;8865261

Apologies, just need to check.Was this meant to be funny?

Yes. And it was.

smidav;8864945

This was no misplaced penalty or pass, it was a save you or I would … This was no misplaced penalty or pass, it was a save you or I would comfortably have made.

It's also a save he would have comfortably made 99/100 times as well.

This was just the 1/100 that everyone saw and is now lynching him for.

Banned

DragonChris;8865285

It's also a save he would have comfortably made 99/100 times as well.This … It's also a save he would have comfortably made 99/100 times as well.This was just the 1/100 that everyone saw and is now lynching him for.

I'm not lynching him - I just don't want to play him.

The competition for GK was always tight. Let's not forget he was lucky not to be beaten on his near post in the second half (bad defending from Carragher who also shouldn't play).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767257
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826370
      3. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40214
      4. Quidco and new IPAD 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking'11

See more discussions