Groups

day trip to London

I'm going to london for a day trip on Friday and I'm just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a few questions
    1) best place for shopping and dining that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
    2) are camden and portobello markets worth going
    3) is madame tussauds worth the admission price
    thank you for any information that you are able to give also if you have any other tips or recommendations I'll be very grateful

22 Comments

1) Depends what shops you like - covent garden is nice and some of the street acts can be funny. I recommend Steak & Co for lunch
    2) Yes, just for the experience if nothing else
    3) No

On the day theatre entry can be reasonably priced - worth a look.

Original Poster

Mermoo

1) Depends what shops you like - covent garden is nice and some of the … 1) Depends what shops you like - covent garden is nice and some of the street acts can be funny. I recommend Steak & Co for lunch2) Yes, just for the experience if nothing else3) NoOn the day theatre entry can be reasonably priced - worth a look.

I like most shops anything from places that sell unusual stuff to the usual department stores. I'm not into the designer stores. Thank you for your help

Covent garden market is great the wax works was poo even with a 2 for 1 voucher it was rubbish

Original Poster

ding

Covent garden market is great the wax works was poo even with a 2 for 1 … Covent garden market is great the wax works was poo even with a 2 for 1 voucher it was rubbish

​thank you

Get in to a show, Jersey boys is very good as is Wicked

As a few others have pointed out, Covent Garden has a lovely atmosphere. Lots of dining options, potter through apple market, street acts etc. Possibly onto Leicester Square as again, lots going on, lots of tourist style stores, M&M world, Lego store etc. Enjoy!

Check Groupon for food, search the areas you do decide to go and there's normally some good deals on there but will require a bit of planning on your park

You should also check out Carnaby St off of Regent Street which has some quirkier shops

Camden is definitely worth a visit but you're not going to have much time to do all everything you want too

How long are you actually in London for?

Original Poster

londonlad19

Check Groupon for food, search the areas you do decide to go and there's … Check Groupon for food, search the areas you do decide to go and there's normally some good deals on there but will require a bit of planning on your park You should also check out Carnaby St off of Regent Street which has some quirkier shops Camden is definitely worth a visit but you're not going to have much time to do all everything you want too How long are you actually in London for?

​will arrive approx 7:30 and leave approx 10:30pm same day. thank you for tip about Groupon I never thought to check that.

born and bred in London and love Camden market. also a fab market with the BEST pie and mash by far is Walthamstow E17. all the fab shops, great mall, all easy to get to via tube ( unless strike). have a good day x

Original Poster

thank you for the helpful comments much appreciated now to decide where to go first

I always try to fit in a trip to Borough Market for my lunch , followed by a walk beside the Thames for views across to St Pauls etc. Camden is a lovely market, very chilled. Def try to see a show, try the box office as soon as they open, most shows keep a row or two to sell on the day really cheaply. Price for the waxworks is ridiculous even by London standards, could try Ripleys believe it or Not instead , they usually have two for one deals. Also lots of two for one deals from your railway station if you are traveling by train.

Bloody hell dont go Walthamstow! So far out!

As said earlier, borough market for food is amazing (from a born and bred here). Camden can probably sort your question about quirky shopping, although I'm not into it too much!

Dont go to Madam's please!! All the free museums and you consider there! This applies to Ripleys too.
    Edited by: "worton" 8th Jan

Camden is a must and the food market there is brilliant or Mr Wu near china town central london for eat as much as you want chinese. And I would recommend you get a one day travel card, will save you a lot if your going to be dotting around everwhere.

Ah Mr Wu's all you can eat buffet where they shout to get you to leave 10 mins after you've paid!

This is probably the best site for both Londoners and visitors:
    londonist.com/
    Enjoy...

Never understood Madame Tussaud's. Just open up YouTube and search for any celeb.

We went to Mr Wu's recently, was a bit disappointed tbh. I realise it's cheap, but the buffet selection wasn't great, we had to traipse up and down the stairs to refill our plates, and it all seemed just a little bit grubby. You get what you pay for I guess.

I personally didn't think much to Madame Tussaud's, but did enjoy the Star Wars & Marvel exhibitions.
    Camden Market I'd definitely recommend - there's another chinese buffet there, still not great but we prefer it to Mr Wu, it's Max Oriental Buffet, it's halfway up on the left hand side as you're heading from the tube station to the market.

I was in London yesterday and I took my son to camden market for the first time. He loved it. We got in to kings cross jobs st before ten and walked down the canal towpath rather than taking public transport. Plenty of shops and stalls there and loads of eating choices. In the afternoon we continued our walk long the canal and before you know it you are in regents park. Had a great day out but walked miles and miles

Have a google for tussauds deals beforehand to see if there are any bargain vouchers , def worth a look round of you haven't been before.

avoid Camden market full of tourist buying overpriced tat

if you want a cheap but good meal flat iron steak is great walk up only so no need to make a reservation and can get a decent steak for 15 quid (or only a tenner if you don't want a side ) you get salad and popcorn thrown in ) all in

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2016/01/08/17/flat-iron-steak.jpg

tate modern worth a wander around and free
    the shard great for the view if weather is clear much higher that London eye

[img]img2.thejournal.ie/inl…al/?width=500[/img]

enjoy yourself and don't try to do to much cant take London all in in a day

you need to be more specific about shopping as London has many different type's of shopping areas

Edited by: "mattmerch" 9th Jan

Agree with others re Madam tussauds, it's not worth it. Go on voucher cloud for money off eats,carluccios have offer on there buy one main course get another for £1. Camden, Covent Garden are great places. Check out museums that are free. You can often get last minute theatre tickets cheap too, plenty of places that sell them or don't be afraid to ask at the ticket office, they would rather sell them cheap than have empty seats. Places like London eye are expensive and not worth it. Try the cable cars at Greenwich , someone told me the museum there was good too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?89
      2. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened79
      3. Biscuit addiction714
      4. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)1626

See more discussions