Days out in Kent, with a teenager.

Found 9th Jul 2011
Going to Kent for a few days in the summer holidays. Any suggestions of places we could visit. We are staying near Canterbury. I've been looking online at places, but would love some suggestions of places to go, or not bother with.

Was looking at the Hop Farm, but thats going to be full of younger kids. Man planning holidays is hard when you have a 14 year old, who wants to keep his cool look, lol.
Community Updates
27 Comments
port lympne safari park or howletts?
Original Poster
onlyme23

port lympne safari park or howletts?

we were just talking about them, deffo think we will go to Port Lympne to see the Gorilla who walks on 2 legs
Kitten13

we were just talking about them, deffo think we will go to Port Lympne to … we were just talking about them, deffo think we will go to Port Lympne to see the Gorilla who walks on 2 legs

we went there last year be warned its a hell of alot of walking and a lot of hills! but was a fab day

This may be an activity on the way to Canterbury or on the way back, as it may be too far back into Kent for a day trip, but perhaps an option if you are struggling for somewhere (else):

[ diggerland.com ]

[EDIT]:

About Us

Diggerland is a chain of 4 theme parks (located at Strood, Kent, Langley … Diggerland is a chain of 4 theme parks (located at Strood, Kent, Langley Park, Co. Durham, Cullompton, Devon and Whitwood, near Castleford in West Yorkshire). At all 4 Diggerland locations adults and children of at least 90cms in height can ride and drive real construction machines, under the guidance of our trained staff. No driving licence required!You can turn up and pay on the day to enter Diggerland, or you can save money by booking discounted on-line entry tickets in advance of your visit. (Please note that discounted on-line entry tickets cannot be booked on the actual day of your visit: you must make on-line ticket bookings at least 24 hours before the visit).Admission to Diggerland includes as many rides and drives on all the real construction machines as you can fit in all day. (Please be aware that height restrictions apply on ALL rides and drives in Diggerland. Anyone under 90cms in height will not be allowed to go on any of the rides and drives. Therefore we do not charge for admission for visitors under 90cms in height. However there are play areas, sandpits and some coin operated rides which would be suitable for younger visitors).Please click HERE for details of the age and height restrictions applicable to each of the rides or drives.

[/EDIT]

BFN,

fp.
Edited by: "fanpages" 9th Jul 2011
Wingham Wildlife Park that is about 15 - 20 minute drive from Canterbury, I went there last Saturday. They do have a website, think it's £10 for an adult ticket, I bought annual passes.
http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/

This website you can search by part of country and ages, you get more places using this.
Dover castle and the caves? Trip to Belgium for some fags..... Leeds castle. Pretty much just castles and hops in kent lol.
Oh forgot, the poxy new art gallery at Margate.......
Original Poster
We chose kent, as we will be doing a multi period history event at the end of the trip, wouldn't have been my first choice, lol. Although seen some good sugestions.

I'm lucky my step son likes castles and history.
If u bring ur passports Dover to calais is a quid at mo with p and o can't add link on fone someone might be kind enough to add it for me
carriage museum in maidstone, also a free museum, bluewater for shopping, the hop farm in paddock wood, left over castle at tonbridge, leeds castle, where abouts are you staying? i live in kent so i may be able to help.
Bit of a drive but Bodiam Castle is pretty amazing (national trust so free if you're members). Hever Castle is also a lovely day out if you could combine it with your journey there or back as it's a bit of a way from Canterbury. They have the large Yew Maze and water maze as well as adventure playground at Hever which the kids (old and young) can enjoy.
Given the drive from canterbury I would not bother with Tonbridge Castle or The Hop Farm as suggested above.
If Tonbridge have a castle then so does Rochester X) Paddock woods not that far really, quick drive down the A28 then M20. Stop off at 'historic' Wye on the way for a quick look at the Downs.

51.169569,0.97261 < Don't bother, you've seen it now LOL.

Original Poster
thanks for all the info guys. Still choosing which campsite we will be at, but my other half said he deffo wants to be based around Canterbury.

Camping Painters Forstal, trip to Brogdale farm to look at fruit trees then onto Shepherd Neame brewery for a tour

Now I just need to find something to do in Yorkshire apart from go hunting for Dracula LOL.
kent county show is on the 16th and 17th of july if your down around then
charles dickens world in rochester? i think its still there lol

Check out this link for stuff to do
kentonline.co.uk/ken…spx

Edited by: "sparxuk" 9th Jul 2011
sparxuk

kent county show is on the 16th and 17th of july if your down around then

I'll be there. Not sure if that's a recommendation or not though lol.
lol its not that bad, think i might pop along too this year
Banned
wtf,cant believe you have a fourteen year old kid.........serious....if that you in the avatar photo!
Original Poster
RFC

wtf,cant believe you have a fourteen year old kid.........serious....if … wtf,cant believe you have a fourteen year old kid.........serious....if that you in the avatar photo!

He is my step son, lol.

And we will be down there the week before August bank Holiday, as going to an event the bh weekend in Detling. So ending the weekend in my idea of fun, playing with gun powder, lol.
I live nearby, let me know if you don't have enough ideas. Also, the setup at Port Lympne has changed a bit - you get to ride on a safari truck around 400 acres and not very much walking now. Once you've bought your ticket it's valid every day for a year.

Go ape ?
goape.co.uk/
dont forget DIGGERLAND lol
Went Leeds castle a few weeks ago, wouldn't go again. They have modernised it to the point that it doesn't feel like a castle. I like visting castles and old places in general to get a feel of how that place used to be hundreds of years ago, nearly every room is covered in modern wallpaper. Feels new and to me is a complete put off.
Can highly recommend Groombridge Place, near Tunbridge Wells. Great day out. Not cheap, but it's a full day. Good for adults and kids. We live in Kent and generaly go there once or twice a year.
groombridge.co.uk/
Banned
If you are looking for something for your teenagers to do this summer - why not send them on a week long holiday in the Kent countryside to the Young Leaders Festival ylf2014.com. Camping, inspirational speakers, great outdoor activities. All for just £72!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants