Posted 22 June 2020

DCBL debt recovery - Highview (Tesco) parking fine

3 years ago I had a few parking tickets for parking in tesco as I used to park there when I couldn’t get a parking space at my job which was across the road.

They sent me reminders but colleagues just told me to ignore them and I did, they went away and I haven’t heard from them in over a year but on wednesday I received letters from someone now called DCBL a notice of charge on behalf of highview parking, at the bottom of the letter it says as featured on the TV programme can’t pay well take it away.

I am getting really concerned about what to do, they are asking £140 each and I have a good few tickets. They are saying this could be escalated to a CCJ. Do I continue to ignore them? Do I try and fight my case or just pay them?

At the end of the letter it says “this case is not subject to high court or bailiff action” Surely this means they aren’t going to do anything if I don’t pay?

I lost my job and there is no way I could afford this. How serious is this, and has anyone had any run in’s with them?
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Naahhhhh, just ignore them some more... it's worked out really well so far

What I would do (aside from not parking where I shouldn't) is get in touch with the company, cap in hand & try to set up a payment scheme, maybe (unlikely) they'll try to help you & reduce the payments to avoid the hassle of them taking it further. Again, that's just what I would do.

I like how they add their involvement with a tv show to show you that they mean business
    Do as said above and if anyone says ignore them on here, just ignore that person you can’t ignore them any more. Just because it ends how it does doesn’t mean it won’t end with the bailiff coming.
    Don’t park somewhere your not allowed maybe
    DCBL? I think they're the ones behind Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! on Channel 5

If you keep ignoring, you may get to be on TV (and if you're lucky, get to meet Paul)! (edited)
    You shouldn't have ignored them, sign up up to pepipoo and post your details on there... To give you breathing space, send them the debt is denied letter and refer it back to its client, they have sold your debt on to another debt recovery agent it seems that's why the letters have restarted from a different agency...
    They can escalate it to court but then you wouldn't get a ccj unless you didn't pay what the court says you should pay after they have made their decision
    I've never had a parking ticket in my life, yet thanks to copious posts about the matter on HUKD I know well enough not to ignore them!
    Carry on ignoring it like you ignored the parking signs when you got the tickets
    Author
    saberno129/01/2021 11:57

Hi TheMissBluecan I ask what happened to the parking charge did you pay or …Hi TheMissBluecan I ask what happened to the parking charge did you pay or you ignored it?Reason of asking I received the letter from the dcbl too today.

Ignored it. Never heard from them again.
    Author
    deleted266017617/02/2021 20:37

Did you hear anything else from them? Just received “A Final reminder” from …Did you hear anything else from them? Just received “A Final reminder” from DCBL.

I’ve never heard anything from them, I had about 3 different letters from them, all ignored. Radio silence since.
    Also received one today. Will ignore, as much as I can 🤫
    Whilst it is currently not subject to high court or bailiff action, IF they were to obtain a CCJ for the 'debt', then this can be enforced by the High Court Bailiffs
    lyesbkz22/06/2020 08:36

DCBL? I think they're the ones behind Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! on …DCBL? I think they're the ones behind Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! on Channel 5If you keep ignoring, you may get to be on TV (and if you're lucky, get to meet Paul)!

I believe it is and they are ruthless. They will just take it straight to High Courts and get permission to remove goods etc.

Sadly the whole advice to ignore is so so so wrong and bad - there have been test cases now which show we dont have right to ignore 'invoice' payments. Unfortunately many dont realise this. I know its too late now, but, for others in same situation.

Personally I'd get in touch and see what they want, how much and if you can start a plan for payment - if not the charges WILL mount up and will mount up quite rapidly.
    You could try asking Tesco to cancel the fines.
    hyzzie22/06/2020 12:43

I had a similar letter, they bought a ‘debt’ of a few tickets at the hos …I had a similar letter, they bought a ‘debt’ of a few tickets at the hospital where I worked for times I couldn’t get a space in the staff area. I ignored the letter and never got another one, this was about a year ago. My advice is don’t contact them at all.

they've got 6 years to get the money off you.... I would rather have peice of mind
    My dad had one years ago, back when you could just ignore them (don't think you can ignore them anymore now). Private company so they couldn't do much.
    They sent a letter every few weeks then it stopped. Then a year later got one from DCBL, ignored that too and nothing came of it.
    Funny thing is it said "As seen on TV" on the letter, they know people have watched the TV program so i think fear takes over and people pay it.
    Author
    Retro8929/01/2021 16:11

My dad had one years ago, back when you could just ignore them (don't …My dad had one years ago, back when you could just ignore them (don't think you can ignore them anymore now). Private company so they couldn't do much.They sent a letter every few weeks then it stopped. Then a year later got one from DCBL, ignored that too and nothing came of it.Funny thing is it said "As seen on TV" on the letter, they know people have watched the TV program so i think fear takes over and people pay it.

That’s exactly the letter I had. Talk about scare tactics. On the back on the letter it said “this case is not subject to high court enforcement”. That’s why I wasn’t worried
    The advice was at the time to ignore wasn't it now people going to come out with you shouldn't have ignored them and yep someone else bought that debt that's why they started letters again. You could ask for evidence and hope they lost it but get proper advice before contacting them. Looks like new business model, they are hoping people pay up before shaming them on TV. (edited)
    Misslovely22/06/2020 07:09

Comment deleted

Op has said why he parked there. Not sure what this has to do with the OPs question, mind you.
    How many tickets did you have?
    Ignore them don’t make contact they will go away

People will quote this saying it’s bad advice! Ignore them also
    I had a similar letter, they bought a ‘debt’ of a few tickets at the hospital where I worked for times I couldn’t get a space in the staff area.

I ignored the letter and never got another one, this was about a year ago. My advice is don’t contact them at all.
    Hi TheMissBlue
    can I ask what happened to the parking charge did you pay or you ignored it?

Reason of asking I received the letter from the dcbl too today.
    TheMissBlue30/01/2021 16:45

That’s exactly the letter I had. Talk about scare tactics. On the back on t …That’s exactly the letter I had. Talk about scare tactics. On the back on the letter it said “this case is not subject to high court enforcement”. That’s why I wasn’t worried

Did you hear anything else from them? Just received “A Final reminder” from DCBL.
    TheMissBlue17/02/2021 20:55

I’ve never heard anything from them, I had about 3 different letters from t …I’ve never heard anything from them, I had about 3 different letters from them, all ignored. Radio silence since.

It is worth remembering that they have 6 years to enforce it so dont count those Easter chickens yet...
    Dcbl are hammering tickets out in the thousands, as in 2022 the new parking regulations come into effect and they're going to be very brassic
    I'd pay asap, I went through a technicality appeal right down the line, got rejected £170 for a 50p ticket.
's avatar