ddr 2 ram pc6400 intel or amd?

Hi I'm looking to put some more ram in my PC with an Intel CPU and finding that some on eBay say for amd only. How would I know checking out others on eBay or cex for instance if they are for Intel or not? What's the difference?

12 Comments

GB99

What's the difference?

The difference is that the seller isn't marketing them towards a specific CPU brand.

i.e. there isn't one.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The difference is that the seller isn't marketing them towards a specific … The difference is that the seller isn't marketing them towards a specific CPU brand.i.e. there isn't one.

​oh right... there are some inexpensive ones on eBay from China but they do say for amd only.. I thought it was odd. like you say I would have thought that desktop memory would be ok for either.

Original Poster

Thanks, a sobering read. I think I'll play safe with a UK seller.

I just got censored...

Back in the day there was a difference - when the P35 chipset was released AMD competed with the AM2 chipset, which offered twice the performance by utilising higher density chips & extra address lines...
Check out this old link to the data sheet

Try using Google, I wouldn't use HotUKdeals to answer technical questions...

FWIW I use Crucial for all my memory purchases (use their memory finder service to guarantee compatibility!), sure they may cost more, however I have yet to find a manufacturer that has a better warranty... (I have used their returns service before and never had any issue - the serial number on the actual stick is all that was needed, no need to provide proof of purchase - try exchanging a faulty stick of RAM from anywhere else you purchase it from and let me know how pain free the process is!) Oh and worth noting I have nothing to gain from promoting them...
As for buying from eBay or using a UK seller - that same common sense can be applied with any purchase...

Also ram for newer intel processors should be 1.5 v where as some ram is 1.65 which can (apparently ) cause issues

Original Poster

codnan

Also ram for newer intel processors should be 1.5 v where as some ram is … Also ram for newer intel processors should be 1.5 v where as some ram is 1.65 which can (apparently ) cause issues

The Kingston ram I've got in is 1.8v. ​I've got a core 2 duo 2.8 ghz. I'm looking to looking to put another 4 gb ram in and get a core 2 quad 2.8 ghz. A quick upgrade and a nice performance lift.

GB99

The Kingston ram I've got in is 1.8v. ​I've got a core 2 duo 2.8 ghz. I'm … The Kingston ram I've got in is 1.8v. ​I've got a core 2 duo 2.8 ghz. I'm looking to looking to put another 4 gb ram in and get a core 2 quad 2.8 ghz. A quick upgrade and a nice performance lift.

Sry I miss read the title and assumed it was ddr3 lol

I recently ordered some DDR2 RAM through Amazon for an ancient Intel board, what turned up was Chinese DDR2 for AMD, and no it didnt work; but I am not sure if the whole "for Intel/for AMD" thing is a scam (as Intel prices are MUCH higher), because this is the first time I have had an issue swapping DDR2 between Intel and AMD boards; the RAM this PC is currently running came out of an AMD board, as is the RAM fitted to another Intel board I recently rebuilt.

The seller is in the process of refunding me, so I am not out of pocket, but it will be interesting to try this in an AMD board, the next time one passes through my hands.

BTW you can still buy brand new DDR2 from a few places, including Crucial, but it aint cheap!!

If you want old ram stick to cex. I've got so much ddr2 from them in the past and had no issues. Just last week I purchased 4gb ddr3 to upgrade an old pc and not had any issues

Original Poster

I think you could be right.... I got some for another even older machine from cex a few weeks ago and it's been fine..A matched pair too. Easy to return if faulty too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions