DDR3 Ram

Found 5th May
Hi I need some advise on ddr3 Ram.

1. I currently have 2 x ddr3 4 gb Ram 2133 mhz installed.

2. I want to purchase 2 x ddr3 8 gb Ram 2133 mhz.

3. Will 2400 mhz Ram be compatible?

4. Can anyone point me in the direction of gaming ram at a reasonable price?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
19 Comments
Yes, ram is only rated to stock speeds and anything over is an overclock profile, so the memory is the same but some memory is more efficient so is sold with higher speed ratings. Depending on your memory controller you should be ok. Check the timings against your original ram.
Run this software it should show you what memory is compatible with your motherboard
mrmemory.co.uk/sca…wcB
daletharper8 m ago

Run this software it should show you what memory is compatible with your …Run this software it should show you what memory is compatible with your motherboardhttps://www.mrmemory.co.uk/scanner/microsoft-windows?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrLXXBRCXARIsAIttmROq6SiHOPbQrZE9pCzhgbaTeJQAHjUZsUnJ7sMk-vhGxPsBqTJhDEYaAtSdEALw_wcB

Thankyou I will let you know the results.
Other thing to bear in mind is your processor may only be able to work with certain speed ram. Make sure you check the specs.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-3KK089N
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F1, 28/10/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.371"
Username DESKTOP-3KK089N\Garreth Murdock
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.85 GB
Total Virtual Memory 14.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.4 GB
Page File Space 6.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
I have attached a captured screen shot of my task manager & settings.
To be on the safe side i think i am going to opt for 2 x 8gb ddr3 2133 mhz.
Can anyone recommend the best equivalent for gaming?
33749520-8uup5.jpg
I think you have to use ddr3L with skyline as it doesn't like 1.5v ram but this might of been sorted out. Surprised you don't have a ddr4 board though.
MuMan2 h, 29 m ago

Can anyone recommend the best equivalent for gaming?

Hardware-wise there's no difference, memory is memory. The 'Gamer' ones are just fancy colour schemes.

Assuming you're adding the sticks and not replacing then memory runs at the lowest common denominator so faster speeds will run at 2133 anyway.
EndlessWaves1 h, 52 m ago

Hardware-wise there's no difference, memory is memory. The 'Gamer' ones …Hardware-wise there's no difference, memory is memory. The 'Gamer' ones are just fancy colour schemes. Assuming you're adding the sticks and not replacing then memory runs at the lowest common denominator so faster speeds will run at 2133 anyway.

Thanks the reason for upgrading the ram is due to Just Cause 3 not running correctly even though I have a gtx 1080 graphics card.
What motherboard model is it, and does it have 4 slots?
Are you sure the 2133 is DDR3? - it's a standard speed for DDR4., but it would be a premium grade overclocking speed in DDR3

Examine with CPU-Z (for the RAM), you'd probably have to look for a model number on the board as I'm not sure any utilities can dig down to the model.

The CPU specifications
ark.intel.com/pro…GHz
Are for DDR4 1866/2133 and DDR3L 1333/1600 - that's 1.35V low voltage DDR3 as the IMC is not designed for 1.5V
33752710-blAPH.jpg
matth999910 h, 5 m ago

What motherboard model is it, and does it have 4 slots?Are you sure the …What motherboard model is it, and does it have 4 slots?Are you sure the 2133 is DDR3? - it's a standard speed for DDR4., but it would be a premium grade overclocking speed in DDR3Examine with CPU-Z (for the RAM), you'd probably have to look for a model number on the board as I'm not sure any utilities can dig down to the model.The CPU specificationshttps://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHzAre for DDR4 1866/2133 and DDR3L 1333/1600 - that's 1.35V low voltage DDR3 as the IMC is not designed for 1.5V

Not 100% tech savvy. Does this help? Would it be worth my while upgrading the motherboard as well as the ram?
33752717-NvL3T.jpg
You don't capture the labels on the memory in those photos but you do capture the motherboard model number and the GA-H110-H only takes DDR4 according to GIgabyte's website:
gigabyte.com/Mot…-10

It also appears to have DDR4 printed next to the memory slots.

Without knowing why the game isn't running correctly it's impossible to give advice on what might fix it.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 6th May
Yes i see the ddr 4 wrote on the motherboard, i have since looked into it & the motherboard can take ddr 4 2400 mhz memory sticks.

Just Cause 3 has problems running with just 8 gb of ram, unfortunately this seems to be a common problem

Fallout 4, GTA V & Gears of War 4 all run fine.

Giving the rise on prices of computer hardware i might opt in holding back for a while regardless.

Having said that if anyone can reccomend any ram either 8gb or 16 gb ddr4 2400 mhz x 2?

Many Thanks to everyone involved in this forum for all the effort.
As an example, ebuyer has a 4 RAM slot motherboard for £51.99 - now that would give the option of getting another 8GB kit (2x4) and combining with the existing set. instead of getting a 16GB set - but what you save on the RAM, you spend on the motherboard and the aggro of swapping it..

But on the other hand, buying a new Skylake / Kaby Lake motherboard now would be a negative move, as the newer Coffee Lake series (and the one after it) need a Motherboard with a 300 series chipset - and they are NOT backward compatible either.
If you already have 2x DDR3 2133MHz RAM and you want to max out your slots then pop down your local CEX

33756143-HUVIT.jpgYou'll never know what you might find.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants