DDR4 RAM Cost Increase

Found 9th Aug 2017
Just a heads up to say that I am hearing through my suppliers that two factories in China making DDR4 have closed. I can't substantiate this but it comes from multiple sources (they may have all heard the same lie though :p).

However, regardless of the truth DDR4 is being stockpiled at current prices and stock is running low in the channel apparently so get in quick if you want today's prices. By next week expect them to be 10-20% higher if stock is around.
Community Updates
Misc
8 Comments
I see, i see, I understand perfectly... THANKS OBAMA... oops BREXIT!
"stock is running low in the channel"

What they use the tunnel ?
Makes you think there must be thousands of production companies but when just a few close it causes a ripple that grows. The panic buying starts and prices rocket followed by a fall in a few months. 16gb of DDR4 3200 cost me 180 quid (flashes nice colours though) the DDR3 I had in my old PC cost £65.
Graham19793 h, 58 m ago

Makes you think there must be thousands of production companies but when …Makes you think there must be thousands of production companies but when just a few close it causes a ripple that grows.

There are very few companies that actually manufacture the chips themselves as many of the companies that sell RAM modules buy the chips in, test and package them and that's it.
Agharta23 m ago

There are very few companies that actually manufacture the chips …There are very few companies that actually manufacture the chips themselves as many of the companies that sell RAM modules buy the chips in, test and package them and that's it.

And price volatility and panic cause people to buy.

Fingers crossed the Beef Monster Munch factory does close, that would cause panic.
Why have the factories closed?

Surely it can't be because they are not making money.
reddit8 h, 1 m ago

Why have the factories closed?Surely it can't be because they are not …Why have the factories closed?Surely it can't be because they are not making money.

Because the price of the chips has gone up and availability has gone down, so even to produce it is expensive. There was a fire at a NAND factory ages ago and the market has been recovering. New smart phones are using DDR4 RAM aswell creating high demand. Other production lines have switched to making; GDDR5, SSD's, flash memory like SD cards or thumbsticks. Plus Graphics had a big jump in VRAM.

There is also high demand with Ryzen and new Intel chips.
But the price went down because of less availability.

So increasing production would stabilise the market and bring prices down again.

Where there is demand there is still profit to be made.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants