DE SHAVING Question

Found 5th Feb
Hi guys,

So opened up my new DE wilkinson sword today after all the DE shaving hype and saving money instead of paying through the roof on cartridge saving. Was going good until I started on my neck. It's so cut up and hurting, anyone out there have any tips? I'm bleeding all over
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
If its the cheap plastic WS razor then its not gord get a half decent metal one as the added weight makes you less likely to press the blade into your skin. Also get yourself an alum block.
deleted800342
It's definitely worth spending more on a decent razor to begin with, the blades are what you save money on in the long run.
Try using some shave oil first and then shave soap/foam on top of that until you are more confident with it
I think there used to be a de shaving thread on here somewhere, I'm not sure if it still exists
Lots of advice here if you have lots of time to spare
Original Poster
Shengis46 m ago

If its the cheap plastic WS razor then its not gord get a half decent …If its the cheap plastic WS razor then its not gord get a half decent metal one as the added weight makes you less likely to press the blade into your skin. Also get yourself an alum block.

I'm pressing see hard after using a cartridge all these years picking this up. Yeah tbh I thought when I opened the box was it meant to be far weighter. Feels about as heavy as a Gillette fusion
OllieSt17 m ago

I agree with Shengis. Something like this will allow you to shave using …I agree with Shengis. Something like this will allow you to shave using just your thumb and forefinger. The weight of the head does all the work.This was my first DE, but both are perfectly fine

I use the DE89...... When I can be bothered Got 100 Astra Platinum blades in 2012, still got loads left (plus a supply of Arko sticks)
Shengis14 m ago

I use the DE89...... When I can be bothered Got 100 Astra Platinum …I use the DE89...... When I can be bothered Got 100 Astra Platinum blades in 2012, still got loads left (plus a supply of Arko sticks)

I use the 34C and a Gillette Fatboy I bought for a song on eBay. I use Feather blades (same as you, bought 100 and still using them), and Gillette Blue blades. I use Osma block
Alum block will help close the cuts and you'll feel great after using it. I buy it from Asian shops and it's a bargain at £1!
machomansavage17 m ago

I'm pressing see hard after using a cartridge all these years picking this …I'm pressing see hard after using a cartridge all these years picking this up. Yeah tbh I thought when I opened the box was it meant to be far weighter. Feels about as heavy as a Gillette fusion

Do yourself a favour and re-buy. DE shaving is a pleasure not a chore. Give yourself a proper chance to get into it. You won't look back
Edited by: "OllieSt" 5th Feb
Had to lookup what DE shaving was and found it's what I prefer when I shave. Tend to just use a trimmer for my "designer" stubble :-) I suspect you have hit the bumps that can grow after using these crap rasors over the years. Make sure the blade is tight and use plenty of soap without pressing when shaving. Don't wipe your neck after use a cold or hot flannel and dab it. A few weeks you'll get the hang of it but just don't over do it. Because the shave is so much closer you can get away with leaving off shaving for a day or so.
Buy a mix of blades as some are better than others. I got a mix up bag and found my favourite generally u will have some irritating bits just take ur time..
Original Poster
4TheMenyNotTheFew43 m ago

Had to lookup what DE shaving was and found it's what I prefer when I …Had to lookup what DE shaving was and found it's what I prefer when I shave. Tend to just use a trimmer for my "designer" stubble :-) I suspect you have hit the bumps that can grow after using these crap rasors over the years. Make sure the blade is tight and use plenty of soap without pressing when shaving. Don't wipe your neck after use a cold or hot flannel and dab it. A few weeks you'll get the hang of it but just don't over do it. Because the shave is so much closer you can get away with leaving off shaving for a day or so.

Thanks, forgot to mention, I'm using gilet foam from a can as my brush from eBay still hasn't come yet BTW what are "BUMPS"?
Edited by: "machomansavage" 5th Feb
Original Poster
OllieSt55 m ago

Do yourself a favour and re-buy. DE shaving is a pleasure not a chore. …Do yourself a favour and re-buy. DE shaving is a pleasure not a chore. Give yourself a proper chance to get into it. You won't look back

Thanks I'll keep at it, thanks for your comment. How long did it take u to fully get the hang of it? my neck is a blood bath. Btw what are "bumps" ??
machomansavage7 m ago

Thanks I'll keep at it, thanks for your comment. How long did it take u to …Thanks I'll keep at it, thanks for your comment. How long did it take u to fully get the hang of it? my neck is a blood bath. Btw what are "bumps" ??

What I mean is these cartage razor don't shave well enough and are designed to go over any small blemishes on the face. A clean razor is steel to skin and so any blemish will be nicked off if you press hard, often even if you don't. What you need is cold water to start and hot dabbing to end.
Original Poster
4TheMenyNotTheFew55 m ago

Had to lookup what DE shaving was and found it's what I prefer when I …Had to lookup what DE shaving was and found it's what I prefer when I shave. Tend to just use a trimmer for my "designer" stubble :-) I suspect you have hit the bumps that can grow after using these crap rasors over the years. Make sure the blade is tight and use plenty of soap without pressing when shaving. Don't wipe your neck after use a cold or hot flannel and dab it. A few weeks you'll get the hang of it but just don't over do it. Because the shave is so much closer you can get away with leaving off shaving for a day or so.

Actually ignore than. This is what I get when I used to wet shave my pubes. Every time, now I just use a trimmer on them. Is it normal to have bumps where ur pubes are a few days when they're regrowing?
machomansavage28 m ago

Actually ignore than. This is what I get when I used to wet shave my …Actually ignore than. This is what I get when I used to wet shave my pubes. Every time, now I just use a trimmer on them. Is it normal to have bumps where ur pubes are a few days when they're regrowing?

Oddly enough I wouldn't know as I wax.
Original Poster
4TheMenyNotTheFew1 h, 2 m ago

Oddly enough I wouldn't know as I wax.

You're as smooth as Patrick Bateman
machomansavage3 h, 5 m ago

Thanks I'll keep at it, thanks for your comment. How long did it take u to …Thanks I'll keep at it, thanks for your comment. How long did it take u to fully get the hang of it? my neck is a blood bath. Btw what are "bumps" ??

Like everything when you first try this you're going to be too careful, which is fair enough. After about 5 or 6 shaves it becomes much easier. I very rarely draw blood on a 2 pass shave, but I can sometimes on a 3 pass if I don't really concentrate.

I've never really suffered from razor bumps or burn which I believe is not so much about my technique, but more about my skin type.

33207163-bYwn1.jpg
Original Poster
OllieSt1 h, 2 m ago

Like everything when you first try this you're going to be too careful, …Like everything when you first try this you're going to be too careful, which is fair enough. After about 5 or 6 shaves it becomes much easier. I very rarely draw blood on a 2 pass shave, but I can sometimes on a 3 pass if I don't really concentrate. I've never really suffered from razor bumps or burn which I believe is not so much about my technique, but more about my skin type.[Image]

Thanks, like riding a bike by the sounds. Rubbed some e45 on my neck and looks ok. However the de hasnt taken anything off my neck. Still quite hairy, do bumps finally go away?
Really you need to either use a hot wet towel or shave straight after a shower/bath. The hairs are a lot softer so cut cleaner and smoother.

You can pick up a bottle of cheap shaving oil (£1) which is worth using as a preshave/undercoat until you get the technique down and is great in a rush.

The blades and the razor itself matter a lot as they give different angles and sharpness of shave.
Something relatively forgiving like a derby blade is going to be much better for a beginner then a feather. Not sure what de Wilkinson razors your using so not sure who aggressive it's supposed to be.
machomansavage5th Feb

Thanks, forgot to mention, I'm using gilet foam from a can as my brush …Thanks, forgot to mention, I'm using gilet foam from a can as my brush from eBay still hasn't come yet BTW what are "BUMPS"?

Your problem is using shaving foam. You need a decent soap stick or something. Get yourself to Tesco and buy a Palmolive shaving stick. For 50p they are ok for starting out.
Best way to use it is to wet your face and "paint" your stubble with it. Then lather it on your face with brush.

Canned foam or gel is the devils work.

There's nothing wrong with the razor, they are half good.
Original Poster
MonkeysUncle6th Feb

Your problem is using shaving foam. You need a decent soap stick or …Your problem is using shaving foam. You need a decent soap stick or something. Get yourself to Tesco and buy a Palmolive shaving stick. For 50p they are ok for starting out.Best way to use it is to wet your face and "paint" your stubble with it. Then lather it on your face with brush.Canned foam or gel is the devils work.There's nothing wrong with the razor, they are half good.

Hey thanks still awaiting my brush i blight off ebay. I have wilkinson sword soap is that any good?
Trust me anything is better than the canned stuff. You get a nice glide, rather than your razor tugging the hairs out and then ending up cutting yourself because you stopped or the razor jumped.
Raise your head to stretch the skin around your neck when shaving it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions