Dead mouse behind kitchen units

Posted 25th Sep
A few days before I went on holiday we saw a mouse in our house and he scarpered behind and the kitchen units, which are built in, and I can't get behind. I think he may have been poisoned as he died behind units, and now there is is a smell in the kitchen which seems to be getting worse for about a week and a half. I'm wondering, if I leave it, will the rotting smell eventually go away, or will I have to dismantle the units to find his dead corpse and remove it. So far, only one fly has been seen in the kitchen, but I'm sure more will follow. Any advice will help.
Community Updates

Groups

11 Comments
Best thing for sure is dismantle and get rid, cannot be good to leave it
I would leave it, spray some air freshener! It won’t smell for long!
If it's a baby one the smell won't be as bad, to be honest we didn't wait to see how bad it got, we got rid of it when the smell was noticebal. With an adult one you won't be going in your kitchen that's how bad. Had a few at work and it's hard to breath.
Edited by: "MR1123" 25th Sep
The smell will eventually go when it’s finished rotting.
If I were you, I’d probably try everything I could to get at it without dismantling the entire kitchen then give up and leave it until it’s done.
Have you tried ramming the hoover down small gaps to try to get at it? Or some wire?
Edited by: "ktm666" 25th Sep
Is there not a cupboard with a low 'skirting' type board at the front that can be prised off and allow a rummage around under the cabinets?
Is there not a cupboard with a low 'skirting' type board at the front that can be prised off and allow a rummage around under the cabinets?
The way the units are built, it's real hard to remove them. I believe he got where the boiler is and ran down some electrical tubing. The way they were put in, everything was sealed in. There are snap fronts at the bottom, but I believe he's in the vertical part of the dead space which means looking from the bottom, I won't see him.
greycounciller25/09/2019 18:20

The way the units are built, it's real hard to remove them. I believe he …The way the units are built, it's real hard to remove them. I believe he got where the boiler is and ran down some electrical tubing. The way they were put in, everything was sealed in. There are snap fronts at the bottom, but I believe he's in the vertical part of the dead space which means looking from the bottom, I won't see him.

Best open it up, did you put rat poison out what if he chewed a electric wire instead.
greycounciller25/09/2019 18:20

The way the units are built, it's real hard to remove them. I believe he …The way the units are built, it's real hard to remove them. I believe he got where the boiler is and ran down some electrical tubing. The way they were put in, everything was sealed in. There are snap fronts at the bottom, but I believe he's in the vertical part of the dead space which means looking from the bottom, I won't see him.

There is a chance he could have nibbled at some cables so may be best to get to him as soon as possible?

Remove what can be removed and see how you go.
When you say built in do you mean the units are screwed to the wall with brackets? If so they are easy enough to remove. As someone else said best to remove the bottom fascia boards first, it may be visible and easy to get at.
aircanman25/09/2019 19:04

There is a chance he could have nibbled at some cables so may be best to …There is a chance he could have nibbled at some cables so may be best to get to him as soon as possible? Remove what can be removed and see how you go.

Hope he didn't! No, I put traps out, but no poison. I think he may already of been poisoned as we only saw it once. As for cables, I been away all last week and all seems to be well. There is a piece of trunking I can see which has a disturbed polystyrene filling which is how I can see where he got through.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants