dead/stuck pixel? any way to sort

Got my lovely new widescreen monitor, but right in the middle theres a red dot about the size of a pin head.

Am I stuck with it?

Dont want to return it over something small but its annoying.

It only shows when on a pure black background i.e on movies

15 Comments

Sometimes you can get a little animation which flashes through loads of different colours. It can help to unstick stuck pixels.
If it's dead (unlikely as yours shows up red not black) then I don't think you can do much about it.

Here's a site with a java applet that runs within your browser window which flashes the colours up.
jscreenfix.com/bas…php
(Launch at the bottom)

Warning: I don't recommend you watch it if you have epilepsy!

Original Poster

well on black backgrounds its red, on a blue background it isnt there, on a green background it looks white.

So is it dead or stuck

Hiya.

I googled your problem and loads of possible solutions came up, ie

wikihow.com/Fix…tor

so it seems that it can be done although as always these things come with a disclaimer.

Good luck - a quick read suggets that it could be simple to fix with either software that 'flashes' the screen or some other 'tactile' methods.

I've never done it, neither am I an expert - but someone here will be no doubt.

good luck :-D

Added a link to my first reply ^

I am sure I read somewhere that sometimes rubbing the affected area with a clean dry cloth (such as a handkerchief) in a light circular motion sometimes does the trick... don't press too hard obviously, or you might do more harm than good!

Unfortunately I don't think that many outlets will exchange a monitor with just one faulty pixel, although some manufactures will guarantee a 100% perfect screen.

Going by what you have said it sounds as if yours is 'stuck' rather than 'dead', or else it would be black all the time.

Some manufacturers have a zero dead pixel policy and would replace your monitor. I know Philips do this. It may be worth visiting the manufacturers website.

ryouga;1428080

well on black backgrounds its red, on a blue background it isnt there, on … well on black backgrounds its red, on a blue background it isnt there, on a green background it looks white.So is it dead or stuck

It's a stuck pixel, a dead pixel would be black.

I've tried some of these programs to unstuck a stuck pixel but despite my TV being the same model and having the same colour of stuck pixel in almost the same place I've never seen any change.

John

I tried absolutely everything to fix a stuck pixel on my last monitor but nothing worked, no one would do anything about it - different manufacturers have different allowances, think I needed to have 5 before they would do something about it.

What brand of monitor do you have?

I think the retailer you purchased from plays the largest part regarding a no quibble exchange.

A reputable retailer would change your monitor assuming it's been recently purchased as brand new and is not a refurb.

I had Dell change a brand new monitor which had one dead pixel. It took a little persuasion though.

Original Poster

Its the Neovo 22" widescreen monitor from last weeks Scan offer.

The red doesnt seem as bright today, dont know if thats good or bad lol

ryouga;1431978

Its the Neovo 22" widescreen monitor from last weeks Scan offer.The red … Its the Neovo 22" widescreen monitor from last weeks Scan offer.The red doesnt seem as bright today, dont know if thats good or bad lol

I'm not familiar with Neovo monitors. I don't think it would make much difference what shade a damaged or missing pixel would make as the vast majority of users have images and backgrounds which continually change colour.

I had a black dead pixel which stood out on lighter backgrounds. It's entirely up to you if you live with it or not. I couldn't live with mine as my eye was constantly drawn to the missing pixel.

I'm sure under the Trading Standards law if you're not satisfied with your purchase you should get a replacement even though I was told there has to be a minimum of 5 missing pixels for a monitor to be considered as faulty. As I mentioned before, it was a Dell monitor that had a dead pixel and my argument with the Dell rep ended with myself agreeing that the monitor isn't faulty but I'm simply unhappy with the monitor. Eventually, the rep gave in and arranged an exchange.

Whatever your decision, good luck.

This 'it has to be a least five dead pixels' is just a manufacturer and sellers scam carried on from the early days of LCD and Plasma. In my view a stuck pixel in a central viewing area is unacceptable. The panel is faulty and that is that. Tell them that under the sale of goods act the panel is faulty and not fit for its intended use - you want a refund or a fully functioning replacement.

Dig your heels in

I ran this one for 3 days and it got rid of the two stuck ones I had.
]UDpixel

I have read on "Overclockers" forum of people gently rubbing the spot (as posted by montala above ) to get rid of it but have never tried it myself.

Merkin;1441353

This 'it has to be a least five dead pixels' is just a manufacturer and … This 'it has to be a least five dead pixels' is just a manufacturer and sellers scam carried on from the early days of LCD and Plasma. In my view a stuck pixel in a central viewing area is unacceptable. The panel is faulty and that is that. Tell them that under the sale of goods act the panel is faulty and not fit for its intended use - you want a refund or a fully functioning replacement.Dig your heels in

I agree and at the time I did think Dell were talking bull and if they didn't exchange I'd have my credit company act on my behalf.

As you say, ''dig your heels in'' ryouga.

Merkin;1441353

This 'it has to be a least five dead pixels' is just a manufacturer and … This 'it has to be a least five dead pixels' is just a manufacturer and sellers scam carried on from the early days of LCD and Plasma. In my view a stuck pixel in a central viewing area is unacceptable. The panel is faulty and that is that. Tell them that under the sale of goods act the panel is faulty and not fit for its intended use - you want a refund or a fully functioning replacement.Dig your heels in

It's not a 'scam' the figure comes from an ISO standard (ISO-13406-2).

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764088
    2. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1019
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    4. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44

See more discussions