deaf dad, how do i get sound to the back of the room without turning the volume up

Found 20th Nov 2017
hi all, my dad is sadly struggling with his hearing he sits quite a way from the tv and my mum said hes having it so loud. my idea was to put some speakers near him from the tv. i don't know if i can do this wirelessy and how they connect or shomehow wired in speakers. its not surround i want i just want the sound near him so its at normal level again.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Best to get him to visit the doctors, hopefully be referred to have a hearing test. This way you know if he is going deaf or is already deaf and get free NHS difital hearing aids.
Edited by: "j484rkh4n" 20th Nov 2017
deleted1597344
Seems a bit odd you are asking for this kind of advice, surely (sorry if I’m missing something here) you would be better getting an appointment with your GP or audiologist.
deleted159734420th Nov 2017

Seems a bit odd you are asking for this kind of advice, surely (sorry if …Seems a bit odd you are asking for this kind of advice, surely (sorry if I’m missing something here) you would be better getting an appointment with your GP or audiologist.

I Have a bit of an issue with hearing, so I understand why he's asking on here. He wants to try to resolve the issue without medical intervention. I Have really bad tinnitus and we tried an amplifier and wireless headphones, but they weren't very successful. Hopefully technology has improved, so maybe try something like this.. Amplifier
Edited by: "mrty" 20th Nov 2017
Try something like this. I had something similar, but wireless not Bluetooth (I Have bad tinnitus). Bluetooth amplifier
deleted159734420th Nov 2017

Seems a bit odd you are asking for this kind of advice, surely (sorry if …Seems a bit odd you are asking for this kind of advice, surely (sorry if I’m missing something here) you would be better getting an appointment with your GP or audiologist.

well i just wondered what was on the market i see all these wireless speakers but not sure how i can use them for this set up really. hes had hearing aids and doesn't like them, prefers to turn the volume up but my mum said its driving her made when she walks in there.
Surround sound
andybriggs034 m ago

Surround sound

its more the speech from the tv that he needs, hes turning the volume up to hear the speaking etc.
essexgangsta10 m ago

its more the speech from the tv that he needs, hes turning the volume up …its more the speech from the tv that he needs, hes turning the volume up to hear the speaking etc.

Maybe headphones then?

hearingdirect.com/Wir…rs/
This type of equipment is plugged into the sound source and transmits earphones whilst everyone else in the room can listen to the TV normally

livingmadeeasy.org.uk/com…htm
Van197316 m ago

This type of equipment is plugged into the sound source and transmits …This type of equipment is plugged into the sound source and transmits earphones whilst everyone else in the room can listen to the TV normallyhttp://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/communication/radio-frequency-audio_visual-amplifiers-p/echo-radiolink-0108874-1254-information.htm

This is the sort of thing I tried, a few years ago, but it didn't work for me. We more have a sounds bar (panasonic) that has a setting for speech. Now I can hear the speech ok and the volume is only up a little.
Google 'personal listeners' and you will see a range of products which amplifies sound for those with hearing impairment.

You can also switch subtitle on if you have sky tv. Not sure if subtitle is available with other providers.
Check setting on audio on TV too for speach clarity and turn it on

As.others have said, gp referral to audiologist or private one on high st should be first call
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 20th Nov 2017
Cheap solution if the TV has digital audio out , buy a DAC then you can plug in headphones (or even buy a bluetooth sender then to plug into the DAc also), that way you can keep the TV sound as normal, then control the audio for the other person on the DAC. (or you can wire a speaker to the DAC - key is you can have the two different volumes)

Someone might be able to link to a cheaper DAC Amazon £19.99
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 20th Nov 2017
cecilmcroberts42 m ago

Cheap solution if the TV has digital audio out , buy a DAC then you can …Cheap solution if the TV has digital audio out , buy a DAC then you can plug in headphones (or even buy a bluetooth sender then to plug into the DAc also), that way you can keep the TV sound as normal, then control the audio for the other person on the DAC. (or you can wire a speaker to the DAC - key is you can have the two different volumes)Someone might be able to link to a cheaper DAC Amazon £19.99

thats looks a good bit of kit certainly might be better as the tv volume can be left as you say down the front for my mum but dad can have a speaker near him
essexgangsta34 m ago

thats looks a good bit of kit certainly might be better as the tv volume …thats looks a good bit of kit certainly might be better as the tv volume can be left as you say down the front for my mum but dad can have a speaker near him

If you wish for wireless. Bluetooth TOS link (then cheap or whatever price you wish Bluetooth Speaker), although you might start to worry about "lipsync" issues. (you probably could find cheaper). Also something to think about if it lost connection, would he be able to reconnect it himself etc.

amazon.co.uk/Hom…YIC
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 20th Nov 2017
thankyou all so much for replying/helping. going to sit through the options to see what i can do for him. mum says thanks as she can get her sanity back
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants