Dealer registering car as wrong trim level - advice please!!

Found 27th Nov 2016
Hi all,

I would be very grateful for some advice in my situation.

I bought a car from motorpoint around a year ago. I have fallen out of live with the car and am wanting to sell it at the moment.

The car is registered as 2.0T Sport on the DVLA and this is what comes up on car buying websites when I search my car registration. My car is actually 2.0T Sport Multimedia - it has the extra multimedia package which is a derivative of the car which is manually selectable through car buying websites DVLA, HPI etc.

Resultantly the difference in prices being quoted to me is actually over 1000£ which seems crazy. When I went to take my car in to sell it I was told that I couldn't get the price of the multimedia pack unless I have it changed by the DVLA - this is fine but it will take around 4 weeks from what I have read.

I think it is unfair that the price of my vehicle may well go down in the time not to mention that my plans have been delayed and this will end up costing me a lot more now due to a mistake made by the dealer during the vehicle registration process.

Any thoughts re: plan going forward/possibility to sell as 'multimedia' without changing with DVLA, getting the original dealer to foot the difference if there is any loss?

Thank you!

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
14 Comments

if u sell it privately will wouldn't u be able overcome this or not as people can see the actual car and what it's got.

Original Poster

muddassarsardar

if u sell it privately will wouldn't u be able overcome this or not as … if u sell it privately will wouldn't u be able overcome this or not as people can see the actual car and what it's got.

don't really want to sell privately because im going abroad for a couple of years in jan! keen for a quick sale

I think you should risk the 4 weeks thing and hope they do it sooner - I've just had an enhanced DBS check that came back within 24 hours and they're supposed to take up to 4 weeks.

Unfortunately everyone makes mistakes in their job and whilst you may get an apology, you won't get someone with no obligation giving you £1,000 difference.

Perhaps any dealer you take it to (as you dont want to pursue private sale) would still give you the correct price after inspection and confirmation it is the specification you state.
Edited by: "SK_" 27th Nov 2016

Just spoken to someone who works for the DVLA, this type of mistake is more then likely caused by the manufacturer as they are the ones who supply chasis numbers matched to model type to the DVLA. Apparently this sort of situation can happen if the additional equipment was supplied and fitted after market by the dealer (which apparently happens a lot) and even if it exactly matches the what the manufacturer supplies as a multimedia variant it is not that variant as advised by the manufacturer. .

Original Poster

Argoj

Just spoken to someone who works for the DVLA, this type of mistake is … Just spoken to someone who works for the DVLA, this type of mistake is more then likely caused by the manufacturer as they are the ones who supply chasis numbers matched to model type to the DVLA. Apparently this sort of situation can happen if the additional equipment was supplied and fitted after market by the dealer (which apparently happens a lot) and even if it exactly matches the what the manufacturer supplies as a multimedia variant it is not that variant as advised by the manufacturer. .

Thank you very much for this answer - it might explain!

The pack is not installed by the dealer, but I can see where you are coming from.

Do you think DVLA will be ok to change it manually providing I supply them with the invoice of the vehicle?

I am going to go to Evans Halshaws tomorrow who have provided me with a quote based on the multimedia pack and hope that they accept it anyway

Original Poster

SK_

I think you should risk the 4 weeks thing and hope they do it sooner - … I think you should risk the 4 weeks thing and hope they do it sooner - I've just had an enhanced DBS check that came back within 24 hours and they're supposed to take up to 4 weeks. Unfortunately everyone makes mistakes in their job and whilst you may get an apology, you won't get someone with no obligation giving you £1,000 difference.Perhaps any dealer you take it to (as you dont want to pursue private sale) would still give you the correct price after inspection and confirmation it is the specification you state.

Thanks for the advice

I'm going to do this tomorrow :)!!

If it doesn't work out fingers crossed DVLA aren't bad!

There is a good chance that they will, but they will investigate, they will not do a change based solely on a invoice, they may well speak to the dealer check chasis/engine numbers with the manufacturer etc. She says the four weeks is an average and if every thing falls into place it could be as short as two weeks, if it is a problem they are already aware of then it could be shorter still.

If it is any consolation, the DVLA computer system had my car down as a completely different model, not just a trim error; this went on for about 5 years before they fixed it; even though all the paperwork from and to them gave the correct information.

As far as I know the DVLA record will only record the details of the cars as per the model ID that the manufacturer supplies.

It seems to me that maybe you have 2.0T Sport with the multi pack. That will show on original invoice, that is not the official model name, some places have the option to list the packs and it should have been put on correct, but its not actually "wrong" if it isn't.

Is it an Infiniti or Audi? If you have excel you can view this list: Your text here
every model of UK car listed with the DVLA.

What you can do is contact DVLA to update the details on your car.

Read this PDF:Link

From the UK government, under section 8, the heading: "correcting’ the DVLA database". The advice given is: If the vehicle owner believes that there is a specific error on the V5 document for their own vehicle, they should contact the DVLA directly to have this corrected.

Hope that helps and you can get it sorted, I believe the result on the DVLA data base is actually only a couple of working days. It might take longer to spill down to other places who bulk buy the data, rather then have access to the DVLA live feed! The stuff you have to know as a fleet manger!

Edited by: "groenleader" 27th Nov 2016

Original Poster

groenleader

As far as I know the DVLA record will only record the details of the cars … As far as I know the DVLA record will only record the details of the cars as per the model ID that the manufacturer supplies. It seems to me that maybe you have 2.0T Sport with the multi pack. That will show on original invoice, that is not the official model name, some places have the option to list the packs and it should have been put on correct, but its not actually "wrong" if it isn't. Is it an Infiniti or Audi? If you have excel you can view this list: Your text here every model of UK car listed with the DVLA.What you can do is contact DVLA to update the details on your car. Read this PDF:LinkFrom the UK government, under section 8, the heading: "correcting’ the DVLA database". The advice given is: If the vehicle owner believes that there is a specific error on the V5 document for their own vehicle, they should contact the DVLA directly to have this corrected. Hope that helps and you can get it sorted, I believe the result on the DVLA data base is actually only a couple of working days. It might take longer to spill down to other places who bulk buy the data, rather then have access to the DVLA live feed! The stuff you have to know as a fleet manger!

Hi!!
Thank you so much for that - incredibly helpful.

It is an Infiniti! - are they known for this kind of thing?

So do you think if I call them they can sort it on the phone and get it done in a couple of days?

sunilm

Hi!!Thank you so much for that - incredibly helpful.It is an Infiniti! - … Hi!!Thank you so much for that - incredibly helpful.It is an Infiniti! - are they known for this kind of thing?So do you think if I call them they can sort it on the phone and get it done in a couple of days?

IME they want things like the invoice to get it sorted if you have those they will ask for copies, but it does happen at least 5 - 6 times a year with out large fleet and it is sorted quickly.

We had an Infiniti Q50 come with the wrong model designation on the paperwork!

Original Poster

groenleader

IME they want things like the invoice to get it sorted if you have those … IME they want things like the invoice to get it sorted if you have those they will ask for copies, but it does happen at least 5 - 6 times a year with out large fleet and it is sorted quickly. We had an Infiniti Q50 come with the wrong model designation on the paperwork!

Argoj

There is a good chance that they will, but they will investigate, they … There is a good chance that they will, but they will investigate, they will not do a change based solely on a invoice, they may well speak to the dealer check chasis/engine numbers with the manufacturer etc. She says the four weeks is an average and if every thing falls into place it could be as short as two weeks, if it is a problem they are already aware of then it could be shorter still.

Hi Guys, just wanted to update you with what happened
Contacted DVLA - asked to provide a letter from manufacturer to speed things up and could be done quickly - Infiniti were useless, very obstructive, could barely speak English on the phone, unable to look up VIN, told me to go to the Infiniti garage.

In the end took it to Evans Halshaws who were excellent and didn't care about it as they knew it was the multimedia version and paid a good price regardless.

Car has been sold and I am happy.

sunilm

Hi Guys, just wanted to update you with what happenedContacted DVLA - … Hi Guys, just wanted to update you with what happenedContacted DVLA - asked to provide a letter from manufacturer to speed things up and could be done quickly - Infiniti were useless, very obstructive, could barely speak English on the phone, unable to look up VIN, told me to go to the Infiniti garage.In the end took it to Evans Halshaws who were excellent and didn't care about it as they knew it was the multimedia version and paid a good price regardless. Car has been sold and I am happy.

Good result!

sunilm

Hi Guys, just wanted to update you with what happenedContacted DVLA - … Hi Guys, just wanted to update you with what happenedContacted DVLA - asked to provide a letter from manufacturer to speed things up and could be done quickly - Infiniti were useless, very obstructive, could barely speak English on the phone, unable to look up VIN, told me to go to the Infiniti garage.In the end took it to Evans Halshaws who were excellent and didn't care about it as they knew it was the multimedia version and paid a good price regardless. Car has been sold and I am happy.

Glad it all worked out in the end, enjoy your time away.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    2. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    3. Urgent help needed with travel agent56
    4. Submit Mobile Deals from Comparison sites22

See more discussions