Dealer wanting full payment before delivery of new van

Found 27th Sep 2017
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't think of anywhere better.

So we have bought a brand new van for the business and paid a £1000 deposit and a third of the value will be on finance.

We was told that the van should of been at the dealers last friday or early this week. But have received a phone call today letting us know that we will be required to pay the full remaining balance at least two days prior to collection of the van. One of their "company policies" apparently. When asked the guy said that the van still hasn't arrived and possibly might be in on friday.

When we bought the van three weeks ago it was made clear that we would be collecting it next monday morning, expecting them to have had it in their yard at least a week. This is a bit different to the average car change over as we will be spending the weekend stripping the current van of literally thousands of pieces of equipment, tools and materials etc.

The insurance has already been notified of the change over due to another of their "company policies" insisting that they see an insurance cover note before they hand the keys over.

As you can probably tell I am not happy about this, especially after going out of our way in advanced to take the insurance docs in and checking if they need anything else before hand over to which they said no.

So basically are they allowed to request the payment, not only before we receive the van, but before they even receive the van. Where do we stand legally if we pay it and something goes wrong? Where do we stand legally if we refuse to pay it before we receive the van?

Thanks in advance for any replys.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Are you having it on finance the ?
Original Poster
richje1007 h, 52 m ago

Are you having it on finance the ?

£1000 deposit paid by debit card, £6000 on finance and £12000 left to pay which is what they are are asking for two days in advanced, this will be paid from the same account as the deposit.

The finance part is purely for tax reasons beings as it is a business and I don’t think it would have any bearing on them asking for the balance to be paid off early or not.
That's standard practice to be paid beforehand with most places
Never bought a van but every car I've bought I've always paid on the day that I collected the car.
Original Poster
gogboy45 m ago

That's standard practice to be paid beforehand with most places

So you wouldn't worry about going in tomorrow morning and paying for it when it isn't even in their yard yet?
jimmyw5661 h, 49 m ago

So you wouldn't worry about going in tomorrow morning and paying for it …So you wouldn't worry about going in tomorrow morning and paying for it when it isn't even in their yard yet?

I would do this if it was big reputable dealer, like Ford, volkswagon etc. Else ask to pay on the day. That is what the deposit was for.
I can only guess the dealer is very short of money and needs the money to keep things going, would make me less likely to hand over the cash, out of interest how big is the van, I needed a van for my business so purchased a brand new Dacia estate for £6995 otr, remove back seats, black out rear windows and it makes an excellent reliable van.
Original Poster
POWYSWALES19 m ago

I can only guess the dealer is very short of money and needs the money to …I can only guess the dealer is very short of money and needs the money to keep things going, would make me less likely to hand over the cash, out of interest how big is the van, I needed a van for my business so purchased a brand new Dacia estate for £6995 otr, remove back seats, black out rear windows and it makes an excellent reliable van.

Thanks for all the comments guys it's a main Vauxhall dealer with three branches in the county so not just a one man operation. The guy rang back up and is almost certain that it will arrive tomorrow so I have told him to ring me up once it is in and then I will make the payment tomorrow evening. I know that no business is immune to insolvency etc but I will take the risk that it won't happen this weekend. As someone I spoke to said they might just be trying to get the sale on this months figures to boost them with it being new reg month.

Its a Vauxhall Movano.
jimmyw5662 h, 15 m ago

So you wouldn't worry about going in tomorrow morning and paying for it …So you wouldn't worry about going in tomorrow morning and paying for it when it isn't even in their yard yet?

Nope don't see the issue, you probably have an invoice already, the finance has been accepted.

Are you allowed to say which garage.

Obviously might be dubious if theyonly set up business a couple of weeks ago, but I'm thinking that's very unlikely
Van19733 h, 1 m ago

Never bought a van but every car I've bought I've always paid on the day …Never bought a van but every car I've bought I've always paid on the day that I collected the car.

Do you mean with a used car that is in stock or are you talking a specific order for a brand-new model
gogboy1 h, 37 m ago

Do you mean with a used car that is in stock or are you talking a specific …Do you mean with a used car that is in stock or are you talking a specific order for a brand-new model

Both! Always paid via debit card when picking up the keys - after inspecting the vehicles.
I think a lot might depend on what sort of finance - lease, PH, PCP, etc

Is this finance through the dealer / manufacturer? Talk to them
I wouldn't have a problem paying if the van was there and ready to go but it doesn't make sense why they want the money so urgently.
Original Poster
It’s manufacturers finance and to be fair they have never asked for the money before they get the van it is just unfortunate that it needs two days to clear and it is arranged that handover day will be Monday. But as I have now told him that they won’t get the money before they get the van I just have to hope that it does today
Don't worry too much, I bought my van online, never even saw it until it was delivered, had to pay by bank transfer the full amount, 22 grand, all went well, made a big saving off dealer price for a vw crafter
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions