Expired

Dealing with weeds between patio

Found 17th Jul
My back garden is loaded with weeds (some 5ft+) between not too greatly laid patio. I spent a good hour using long scraper to scrape most of te weeds but its not a clean job.

Anyone know what sand needs to be laid to prevent any real growth or was that meant to have been done when the blocks were laid?
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Weeds will grow through sand. Have you ever been to a beach? Plants grow in sand. If you don't like them, you will either have to use weed killer or pull them out when they first appear.
Weeds will grow on a grain of dirt , people usually clean out the gaps and fill/brush in Kiln sand (fine) I think what it’s called but to go one better you can buy a brush in mixture (lazy way) from Screwfix etc and it sets when water hits it in the gaps I’m assuming it’s just a sand and cement pre mix I’ll come back with more info!
toolstation.com/sho…BwE

Same product but the info on the tub is better to read
Patio magic. Give it a week or two and sweep away.
Edited by: "wayners" 17th Jul
If the weed has a root,it will always come back.
ASongOfFireAndIce38 m ago

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p32689?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ceSk8al3AIVSfhRCh0rkAPQEAQYAiABEgLT8PD_BwESame product but the info on the tub is better to read

Ok thanks, i was sure there was some kind of sand that prevented weeds from growing. Before using that should i do a round of weed killer (its a big area) or just cut them down with the scraper once.
ASongOfFireAndIce1 h, 49 m ago

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p32689?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ceSk8al3AIVSfhRCh0rkAPQEAQYAiABEgLT8PD_BwESame product but the info on the tub is better to read

Effective, but so boring, what the OP needs is to kill the weeds with fire.

I know the weeds will come back, but that means you can nuke em again.
op needs to get a man in
Does jetwashing between the paving do a good job in cleaning out the weeds, or do I risk damaging the assembly.
FUAARRKK13 m ago

Does jetwashing between the paving do a good job in cleaning out the …Does jetwashing between the paving do a good job in cleaning out the weeds, or do I risk damaging the assembly.

No, but if the weeds have flowered and seeded you run the risk of sending the seeds flying everywhere actually making the problem worse!
Dyslexic_Dog1 m ago

No, but if the weeds have flowered and seeded you run the risk of sending …No, but if the weeds have flowered and seeded you run the risk of sending the seeds flying everywhere actually making the problem worse!

yeah i have a lot of them. My back garden is pretty big so I'm left scratching my head what is the best option. Just scrape it all off and just maintain it from week to week? I'd avoid chemicals since I have a cat who roams the back garden.
ASongOfFireAndIce8 h, 10 m ago

[Video]

This looks really good, I need this but will wait til it's on offer somewhere.
nandito20 m ago

This looks really good, I need this but will wait til it's on offer …This looks really good, I need this but will wait til it's on offer somewhere.

Its cheaper on Amazon plus you get it delivered to your door.
FUAARRKK4 h, 23 m ago

yeah i have a lot of them. My back garden is pretty big so I'm left …yeah i have a lot of them. My back garden is pretty big so I'm left scratching my head what is the best option. Just scrape it all off and just maintain it from week to week? I'd avoid chemicals since I have a cat who roams the back garden.

Don't dismiss chemicals. Many are harmless to animals when they have dried - which doesn't usually take too long.
harlzter2 m ago

Its cheaper on Amazon plus you get it delivered to your door.

Thanks harizter, that's better but would still like it a bit cheaper if possible lol. I'll keep watching though to see if the price goes down
tregs1 h, 39 m ago

Don't dismiss chemicals. Many are harmless to animals when they have dried …Don't dismiss chemicals. Many are harmless to animals when they have dried - which doesn't usually take too long.

I think chemicals are probably the best option especially in this hot weather as they will dry in no time at all rendering them safe for the cat and any other animals.
Dyslexic_Dog31 m ago

I think chemicals are probably the best option especially in this hot …I think chemicals are probably the best option especially in this hot weather as they will dry in no time at all rendering them safe for the cat and any other animals.

It's a lot of work to do this since my garden patio'd area is fairly large, but I'm going to be jet washing and relaying sand since its been at least 5 years.
Not much work at all with chemicals - just need to get some of this ..... ebay.co.uk/itm…nsQ and dilute at a rate of 100ml into 5litres of water and then use a rose spray on a watering can to cover everything green on your patio. As others have said this is completely harmless when dry.

In the future just need to spot treat future weeds on the patio once a month or so using the same material but in a small pressure sprayer. This is how I maintain both my patio and a gravel drive.
Van197310 m ago

Not much work at all with chemicals - just need to get some of this ..... …Not much work at all with chemicals - just need to get some of this ..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-GALLUP-XL-SUPER-STRONG-PROFESSIONAL-360g-l-Glyphosate-Garden-Weed-Killer/332612170889?epid=1081091373&hash=item4d713af489:m:m5kTEMjZSHdoTVttnxjLnsQ and dilute at a rate of 100ml into 5litres of water and then use a rose spray on a watering can to cover everything green on your patio. As others have said this is completely harmless when dry.In the future just need to spot treat future weeds on the patio once a month or so using the same material but in a small pressure sprayer. This is how I maintain both my patio and a gravel drive.

yeah i meant the pressure washing between bricks. I tried but some weeds are so stubborn the karcher couldn't do anything. I wanted to relay anyway since the builder did a crap job so I suppose I'll take care of it from now on using weed killer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions