DealPad iPhone application is now available

Found 23rd Jan 2015
After many months of development I have finally finished developing DealPad for the iPhone.

DealPad has been available for Android for over 2.5 years but has finally made the move to the iPhone with a brand new UI making the most out of the platform and limited screen size.

The app is free and can be downloaded now from the App Store.

I would love to hear your feedback and any suggestions for future versions.
Community Updates
MisciPhoneAppiOS
29 Comments
I love it best hot deals app
Nice one
What version of the API are you using?
As at least the android link suggests you have to pay for ad free version I am spamming this as self promotion. Sorry
Original Poster
Addyfisher - Glad you like it. I have really tried to make the content stand out and allow you to see many deals on the screen at any one time.

IamMT - It is using v2.0 (same as the android version). The iPhone version is currently ad-free (and is likely to be for the considerable future).
I've got up and running,thank you, looks in ya face, I like it.
Original Poster
IamMT - The owners of the website are aware of DealPad for android (both ad-free and ad-supported).
The only thing I don't get is why a smartphone user would need such an app when they can experience the full website on their phone ??
Original Poster
ChrisUK

The only thing I don't get is why a smartphone user would need such an … The only thing I don't get is why a smartphone user would need such an app when they can experience the full website on their phone ??

Dedicated applications can take advantage of the features offered on the platform, such as animation, gestures and notifications etc. User interfaces can also be tailored specifically for mobile devices making content much easier to read on small devices.
Great - but it doesn't work horizontally
ChrisUK

The only thing I don't get is why a smartphone user would need such an … The only thing I don't get is why a smartphone user would need such an app when they can experience the full website on their phone ??

I agree with you, but I have found that the Comment box within a web browser is just cumbersome to use on a smaller screen of a "Smartphone" for anything other than a few words/sentences.
bencallis

iPhone versionAndroid version

I am still seeing "4 May 2014" as the last update date for the Android version, Ben.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/_fanpages/DealPad_Ben_Callis_4_May_2014_zpsva8lpokz.jpg

Is a revision planned in the near future?

PS. Have you considered removing/blanking your contact details (especially your address)? I did not include them in the image above on purpose.
Edited by: "fanpages" 25th Jan 2015
Original Poster

The initial version only supports portrait (as do many iPhone applications). If there is a large enough demand for it was may tweak the design to work well in landscape. Do you have any suggestions?

ajf4444

Great - but it doesn't work horizontally

bencallis

iPhone versionAndroid version

I hope to bring the an update to there Android version this year with a new material design (somewhat similar to the iPhone version).
bencallis

I hope to bring the an update to there Android version this year with a … I hope to bring the an update to there Android version this year with a new material design (somewhat similar to the iPhone version).

OK, thanks.

I will install your current Android "app" later today.

---

Would you like to receive feedback on any of your "apps" in this thread, via "Private Message", or via your e-mail address?
Original Poster
fanpages

Would you like to receive feedback on any of your "apps" in this thread, … Would you like to receive feedback on any of your "apps" in this thread, via "Private Message", or via your e-mail address?

Either really. I guess the benefit of posting in this threads allows other users to agree/disagree with feedback which may be useful :).

I hope you enjoy the Android version.
OK, thanks.

A brief look (for now)...

Comments in threads only show the original text posted by the member making the comment. None of the quoted text is shown.

For example, in the image below taken from a "Deals" thread, I am quoting the first comment (made by antenna) in comment #6:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/_fanpages/Screenshot_2015-01-25-11-42-33_zpsbkya80u8.png

Are you able to show quoted text [&/or embedded/linked images (& external web addresses), for that matter] via the API library?

If so, did you ignore these by design (possibly because it makes your "app" cleaner in presentation)?

Would you be able to consider implementing a 'toggle' where you can show quoted text & then hide it again?
Original Poster
fanpages

OK, thanks.A brief look (for now)...Comments in threads only show the … OK, thanks.A brief look (for now)...Comments in threads only show the original text posted by the member making the comment. None of the quoted text is shown.For example, in the image below taken from a "Deals" thread, I am quoting the first comment (made by antenna) in comment #6:Are you able to show quoted text [&/or embedded/linked images (& external web addresses), for that matter] via the API library?If so, did you ignore these by design (possibly because it makes your "app" cleaner in presentation)?Would you be able to consider implementing a 'toggle' where you can show quoted text & then hide it again?

Sadly, the comments are not available by the public API so we have to access them manually. The iPhone has an improved comments system which shows all comments and images in posts. The Android version currently only shows the first pages of comments, with each comment containing text and links only.

It's definitely on the list of things to improve for the Android version!
Original Poster
Anymore feedback on the iPhone version? I am currently in the process of fixing a few UI glitches for the next release but would love to add some additional features too
I'm using the latest Android version and it doesn't seem to show any comments at all - am I doing something stupid? I've just installed it as my usual 3rd party app has broken tonight.

PS it is the free version
Edited by: "IamMT" 3rd Feb 2015
Original Poster
IamMT

I'm using the latest Android version and it doesn't seem to show any … I'm using the latest Android version and it doesn't seem to show any comments at all - am I doing something stupid? I've just installed it as my usual 3rd party app has broken tonight.PS it is the free version

Just had a look into this. There has been a slight bug introduced into the HUKD API and a link which we use to get comments is now broken. I have contacted the admin so hopefully it will be resolved shortly!

Edited by: "bencallis" 4th Feb 2015
Original Poster
Working on this issue with HUKD. It seems they have removed their mobile website. Hope to get a solution this week.
bencallis

Working on this issue with HUKD. It seems they have removed their mobile … Working on this issue with HUKD. It seems they have removed their mobile website. Hope to get a solution this week.

Still looks visible to me:

[ m.hotukdeals.com ]
Original Poster
An update has been submitted for Android and iOS to bring back comments.

The iOS one is live now and the Android update (1.6.5) should be available in the next few hours.
Original Poster
I have recently release an update that adds todays top 5 deals widget to the iOS version.

http://s11.postimg.org/rpu18zv2b/i_OS_Simulator_Screen_Shot_17_Feb_2015_23_17_49.png
Ben, this is a great app and a must for all regular users of HUKD. The UI is fantastic and the app has a great end user experience. Well done!
Original Poster
bubbablue

Ben, this is a great app and a must for all regular users of HUKD. The UI … Ben, this is a great app and a must for all regular users of HUKD. The UI is fantastic and the app has a great end user experience. Well done!

Thanks very much for the positive feedback A lot of time was spent developing the application with a strong focus on the UI --- it's nice to hear it paid off!

Remember to tell your friends/family about the app and give it a review in the store. It will help the app get noticed
I have told all my friends and family so hopefully they will download it. Couldn't get on with the official HUKD app so used to use safari.

Big ask I know, but do you have any plans to update the app for native iPad resolution. That would be amazing if you did.
Original Poster
bubbablue

I have told all my friends and family so hopefully they will download it. … I have told all my friends and family so hopefully they will download it. Couldn't get on with the official HUKD app so used to use safari.Big ask I know, but do you have any plans to update the app for native iPad resolution. That would be amazing if you did.

It is on the cards! Not figured out the correct UX yet. If you have any ideas let me know
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants