Deals for socket set to change car battery?

Posted 26th Dec 2019
Any know any good deals for a set of sockets to change car battery. I was looking at Halfords however xmas10 code no longer works.

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
If solely for that one job, the cost of one spanner will be cheaper. Maybe one adjustable spanner may suit and be more flexible rather than a specific size?
Socket set!! What kind of car are we talking about?, a couple of Poundland spanners will usually do it.
Just make sure you check if you need normal sockets or deep ones
Halfords
AndyRoyd26/12/2019 20:29

If solely for that one job, the cost of one spanner will be cheaper. Maybe …If solely for that one job, the cost of one spanner will be cheaper. Maybe one adjustable spanner may suit and be more flexible rather than a specific size?

May need 2 sizes, one for the terminals and another for the hold downs, mine needed 3 as the terminals was 12mm and 13mm the hold down was 10mm until I changed it to wing nuts.

Make sure you disconnect the negative first that way there is no chance of shorting the live out to earth when removing it, I have done that once an once only, my ring got red hot and left me with a serious burn.
harlzter26/12/2019 20:43

May need 2 sizes, one for the terminals and another for the hold downs, …May need 2 sizes, one for the terminals and another for the hold downs, mine needed 3 as the terminals was 12mm and 13mm the hold down was 10mm until I changed it to wing nuts.Make sure you disconnect the negative first that way there is no chance of shorting the live out to earth when removing it, I have done that once an once only, my ring got red hot and left me with a serious burn.

I've read you disconnect -ve then +ve.
When reconnecting +ve then -ve.

That correct?
rimalpatel00726/12/2019 20:45

I've read you disconnect -ve then +ve. When reconnecting +ve then -ve. …I've read you disconnect -ve then +ve. When reconnecting +ve then -ve. That correct?

Yes it lowers the odds of creating a short, theres enough power in a battery to weld a spanner to the frame if you short it.
harlzter26/12/2019 20:43

May need 2 sizes, one for the terminals and another for the hold downs..

Hence the suggestion of one adjustable spanner, assuming there is sufficient space to rotate a spanner.
Bought my last battery from Halfords as needed it immediately and decent warranty offered - keep receipt! My trusty old adjustable spanner did the job just fine. I suspect that a Pound Shop spanner would do the job too as the terminals are not normally done up super tight.

Gotta admit the £15 Halfords charge for changing your battery is downright cheeky:
halfords.com/adv…ice
AndyRoyd26/12/2019 20:48

Hence the suggestion of one adjustable spanner, assuming there is …Hence the suggestion of one adjustable spanner, assuming there is sufficient space to rotate a spanner.

I cant see ther be enough space for the additional space an adjustable would need over that of a normal spanner. I hate adjustable spanners though as I have dealt with enough rounded nuts where others have used them an not had them snug enough, to me they are a last resort tool.
harlzter26/12/2019 20:51

I cant see ther be enough space for the additional space an adjustable …I cant see ther be enough space for the additional space an adjustable would need over that of a normal spanner. I hate adjustable spanners though as I have dealt with enough rounded nuts where others have used them an not had them snug enough, to me they are a last resort tool.

Don't know what vehicle, so difficult to know if potentially not suitable.
Rune_2H26/12/2019 20:54

Comment deleted

The nut behind the spanner is usually the problem.
any cheap set will do a battery, however I would have a look at it first, last time I bought a battery was just going to take it home and do it myself, but they offered free fitting and it was raining. Glad I took them up on the offer, it took them an hour, as it had a wiring harness clamped round it that took an age to get off
Asda sell small socket sets for less than a tenner, can't imagine they are up to big jobs but I'm sure they will be fine for your battery
rimalpatel00726/12/2019 20:45

I've read you disconnect -ve then +ve. When reconnecting +ve then -ve. …I've read you disconnect -ve then +ve. When reconnecting +ve then -ve. That correct?

Most cars are - earth so if you are disconnecting the + and touch the car body with the spanner you can cause a short, so if you disconnect the - first then it won't spark if you catch the body while working on the +
harrythefish26/12/2019 20:50

Bought my last battery from Halfords as needed it immediately and decent …Bought my last battery from Halfords as needed it immediately and decent warranty offered - keep receipt! My trusty old adjustable spanner did the job just fine. I suspect that a Pound Shop spanner would do the job too as the terminals are not normally done up super tight. Gotta admit the £15 Halfords charge for changing your battery is downright cheeky:https://www.halfords.com/advice/motoring/service/halfords-car-battery-fitting-service

Had a battery changed at Halfords,, decided it needed changing on way to a family function so thought the charge was reasonable as I didn't want to get clothes dirty. Wish I hadn't bothered. Spotty faced kid Halfords mechanic shorted battery when fitting it, helluva flash, then wondered why I wanted a different battery fitted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions